XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

98 XJ8 Timing Belt Tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 98 XJ8 Timing Belt Tensioners

I don't know what else can break on this car. Transmission, water pump, alternator. and now I think it might be the tensioners. It has been unusually cold here in Atlanta and I noticed a sound that I thought was a bearing issue coming from the front end. I thought & I thought, then I remembered someone said if you hear a rattle in the front end stop operating the car and change the tensioners or you can ruin the motor if the tensioner gives way.

So I hear this noise and after reviewing some threads I read the noise is the lower tensioner. What are symptoms of the upper tensioners letting go?

I'd love it to be just the upper as this looks much easier to repair than the whole set. Should I start tearing down and stop if the uppers are bad?

I see that it's possible to replace the uppers with some zip-ties. What tools are needed for the lower tensioners?

This car is eating my wallet!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,796 Likes on 2,234 Posts

Failing tensioners would cause a rattle on startup because they would lose their oil when sitting and it takes a few seconds to get the pressure up. It the noise is more of a grinding sound while the engine is running it might be the idler or tensioner bearings for the serpentine belt, or the generator or water pump. You can check that by removing the belt and running the engine briefly.
But you are right about the risk of starting the engine if the secondary tensioners are failing. It would be safer to remove the valve covers and inspect the tensioners.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

The lower tensioners are a good bit more difficult to change in that the front cover needs to be removed from the engine, so that requires more disassembly. The zip tie method will not work, although you could count teeth. If you are going to go to the trouble of doing the primary chains, I suggest you go ahead and either buy or make the tools.
And RJ is right. If there is any chance your secondary tensioners have failed, you are begging for a disater to start the engine. You thing its costing you money now, bent valves probably equal the value of the car.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

With no documentation of tensioners being changed and your report of noise from the front of the engine pulling at least one valve cover before even starting the car again is a very prudent thing to do. I found the right one easier because of the oil dip stick tube removal.

Your '98 model year came with the first generation tensioners which has been associated with a chain rattle on cold start up. The second generation plastic tensioners added a spring that reduced or eliminated the chain rattle but not the failure situation.

Removing the serpentine belt is a good suggestion to put the problem outside or inside the engine . . . after the inspection and potential replacement. An assistant starting the car will allow you to more quickly hear the problem.

The following users liked this post:
bigcat777 (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reluctant Mechanic went Negative

All,

Good news and bad news
Bad news I went negative on my car and expected teh worst
Bad news is I knew it was a bearing failure
Good news is the idler pully bearing failed - $ 65 bucks
Good news i can budget forthe tensioners

Thanks Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!