XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

98 XJR No taillights or marker lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 XJR No taillights or marker lights

I have a 98 XJR in great condition except now no exterior lights except headlights, rear fogs and brake lights work. All the rest are out and I have looked around and used the search feature and come to believe that it is the SLCM.

First question what does SLCM stand for?

Does anyone think it could be something else?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I have a 1998 XJ8, I had the same problem. No tail lights, license plate lights or trunk lights. Along the hinge of the trunk on the passenger side is a wire bundle clipped to the hinge. I would start there before chasing modules. The wires fray and break in the bundle. Remove the wrappings, and examine each of the wires. I located the bad section by leaving the lights in the on position and then moving the wires flexing and pushin the individual wire until i found the area where the contact was lost.
I cut out the bad sections splice in and insulated new wires and all was "good as new"
Hope this is your problem and the fix will be easy.

Vern Robinson
1998XJ8
1997XK8

The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
Jhartz (06-20-2013), Zane Cramer (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

SCLM= Security Control and Locking Module,. It controls various lights because they flash in the event of an alarm. I doubt your problem is the SCLM, because it controls the brake lights, but not the others you mention. The lights in your list are controlled by the BPM (Body Processor Module!). Check the lefthand heelboard fuse block fuse #5 and the right hand heelboard box fuse #3

I agree with vern'e advice as a first pass. Also, check all of the fuses that say something about lights or body or security processor.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 06-19-2013 at 08:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sparkenzap:
Jhartz (06-20-2013), JimmyL (08-19-2013), Zane Cramer (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM

Thanks guys I'll check that tomorrow and get back with the answer.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a broken wire on my turn signal stalk do a similar thing. There are in inordinate number of wires going into/out of this.
If the fuses are OK, you might want to check to see if a wire on the stalk in the column might be the problem. Its fairly easy to disassemble.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by pod184
I had a broken wire on my turn signal stalk do a similar thing. There are in inordinate number of wires going into/out of this.
If the fuses are OK, you might want to check to see if a wire on the stalk in the column might be the problem. Its fairly easy to disassemble.
I forgot to add that before this my dash lights and console lights sometimes didn't work unless I jiggled the stalk.

I checked the trunk wires and they are fine.

Fuses are next.

Any instructions on the stalk removal?

Thanks again

Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

To remove the wheel (from x350, but process is the same):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...81/#post426426

After the wheel/airbag is off, there are 3 screws that hold the plastic cover on the column. Getting them off is pretty easy, back on is a bit fiddly.

I got by with just resoldering a wire as it was obviously broken. Check the wires (wiggle them on the solder terminals and check for chafing) before investing in a new stalk assembly. I have one sitting on a shelf as I thought I was going to have to replace it all. Turns out fixing that one wire solved all my issues.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 PM

I am working on an '98 XJ8 Vanden Plas that exhibits these same symptoms: No tail lights, license plate lights, side maker lights or trunk lights. Break lights, reverse lights and head lights are OK. Un-quantified the light in the clock also out, but perhaps a coincidence.

In the initial stage of troubleshooting I turned in the lights with the ignition off and heard the chime. A slight wiggle of the arm to the stalk allowed me to turn on and off the chime and it seems the lights as well, though as a single person I could not confirm all scenarios.
I took off the lower cover on the steering column as I was under the impression that a bad solder connection may be the culprit. I discovered the switching mechanism and the connectors and with a finger applied a bit of pressure and the problem quickly went from intermittent to static.
I measured the voltage on both sides of the 5A fuses in the trunk with no positive. I pulled out the 4 relays and shorted the contact points and received affirmed contact for the break light and a (cabin) fan, but nothing else. Also swapped relays with no positive result.

While there may be more than one cause I am highly suspecting the stalk or a connection thereof.
I am not about to disassemble the steering wheel and airbag, but other suggestions are welcome.

Also, what are the consensus here concerning taking the vehicle to Jaguar rather than using a service like YourMechanic .com

Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

MrDK
Forum member Avern1 resolved his no tail lights issue - quote:
"the hinge of the trunk on the passenger side is a wire bundle clipped to the hinge. I would start there before chasing modules. The wires fray and break in the bundle. Remove the wrappings, and examine each of the wires. I located the bad section by leaving the lights in the on position and then moving the wires flexing and pushin the individual wire until i found the area where the contact was lost.
I cut out the bad sections splice in and insulated new wires and all was "good as new"
Hope this is your problem and the fix will be easy."

Jim Lombardi

Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
MrDK
Forum member Avern1 resolved his no tail lights issue - quote:
"the hinge of the trunk on the passenger side is a wire bundle clipped to the hinge. I would start there before chasing modules. The wires fray and break in the bundle. Remove the wrappings, and examine each of the wires. I located the bad section by leaving the lights in the on position and then moving the wires flexing and pushin the individual wire until i found the area where the contact was lost.
Hope this is your problem and the fix will be easy."

Jim Lombardi
I did read that and spent a good bit of time "massaging" those wires with no positive signals.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I had the problem with the wires in the right side boot hinge being broken. That seems to be a common issue. It affects the trunk lights, license plate lights and for me, it affected the valet function in that, I could not get the car out of valet mode. But, in addition to checking this thoroughly, I suspect Sparky may have hit on it with the BPM.