XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

98 XJR transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 867 Posts
Default 98 XJR transmission noise

Had the car 2 years. Previous owner had the transmission rebuilt (not sure where) around 220K miles. Car has 240K miles now and has 7K miles on drain and fill to proper level using Valvoline Max Life ATF Mercon LV fluid. No fluid leaks and no fault codes on the instrument cluster and no stored codes in ECM/TCM. Drove it home normally yesterday after work (6 miles) and parked the car. Started the car this morning to warm it up, went back into the house to get my lunch, came out and heard an obvious noise sounding from under the car. Got in the car, leaned over to hear under the car and revved it to about 2K RPM quickly. Noise kept up with engine RPM. Noise itself sounds kinda like a rattly bearing kind of noise. At a stand still when I put it in R or D the noise goes away...P or N gets loud. Sport mode off..I gently drove it around the neighborhood and when first taking off (from 2nd gear) it seems to stay in that gear longer than before shifting into third. I didn't go past 30ish mph in the neighborhood and was too concerned about causing more damage than I'm sure is already there. To me, it sounds like something came apart in the torque converter like a one way roller sprag?? I'm an ASE master certified tech but I don't know much about rebuilding transmissions. Does anybody with any transmission knowledge have an opinion on this??

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 02-03-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,815 Likes on 1,330 Posts

I would review this post... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-drum-174373/ ....not saying that is or isn't your issue, but you can see who is responding with experience to pm.

The following users liked this post:
Addicted2boost (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I would review this post... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-drum-174373/ ....not saying that is or isn't your issue, but you can see who is responding with experience to pm.
XJR=Mercedes tranny. Doesn't have the A drum problem, which is a ZF tranny issue.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 867 Posts

Thanks Boyle, I know what highhorse meant. He just wanted me to PM someone who's more knowledgeable about transmissions in general to figure out what's going on with mine. Even though that posted thread isn't for a Mercedes transmission....