XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

99 xj8 lighting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 xj8 lighting problems

First let me say thanks for the great help and info that gets posted here. so here is my problem. first off my license plate light has never worked, replaced bulb several times with no luck have checked all fuse boxes with no luck any suggestions? also the lights in the climate control and clock have same problem cannot find any blown fuses these lights did work when car was first purchased. any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Greetings,

Lisence plate lamps have lost porew or ground due to a broken wire at the right side boot lid hinge, beneath the plastic cover. Test for power and ground at the lamps, and go to the hinge if you're lacking. The wiring insulation may not be broken, but the wire strands inside are. A number of trunk release, trunk light and lisence plate light failures all come from damage to this haarness as a result of the wires being repeatedly flexed.

Dash bulbs are bad dash bulbs. Individual replacement is possible but not always convenient.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtechohio
greetings,

lisence plate lamps have lost porew or ground due to a broken wire at the right side boot lid hinge, beneath the plastic cover. Test for power and ground at the lamps, and go to the hinge if you're lacking. The wiring insulation may not be broken, but the wire strands inside are. A number of trunk release, trunk light and lisence plate light failures all come from damage to this haarness as a result of the wires being repeatedly flexed.

Dash bulbs are bad dash bulbs. Individual replacement is possible but not always convenient.
eeeewwww another right on the money internet diag....good job andy

Old 02-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks BRUTE,

It was pretty funny the first time I came across this. I was opening and closing the trunk and watching the trunk light come on whenever it felt like it: I swore there was a faulty switch at the hinge, like on all the previous models. Probably spent an hour looking for something that wasn't there.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sort of on-topic, do one of you techs have info for removing the HVAC unit? One of the backlight bulbs just went out and I'd like to replace it. How do I get the unit out the quickest and easiest way?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So what is the fix for this? Do you buy a wiring harness in one piece or just splice the existing wires? My trunk lights haven't worked since I bought the car, and I suspect that this is what is wrong.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

just to repair the harness..
Cerberus- have to put in nuetral then lift the shifter surround gentily upward... once off remove 2 7mm bolts and 2 nuts.. then remove the sport switch surround then push the metal bracket forwared that has the studs for the nuts you just removed then carefully remove wood ski slop.. up then out.. place a rag over the shifter illumination.. then undo 3 screws to take the radio out.. once out turn the climate control over undo 2 small screws and the rear cover comes off .. then find the bulb thats out and turn to remove..

Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a note to add i pulled the climate control and clock out of the dash to check on replacing bulbs and they appear to be sealed i was worried about splitting them to get at bulbs any thoughts? thanks again

Old 02-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jag_genius
just to repair the harness..
Cerberus- have to put in nuetral then lift the shifter surround gentily upward... once off remove 2 7mm bolts and 2 nuts.. then remove the sport switch surround then push the metal bracket forwared that has the studs for the nuts you just removed then carefully remove wood ski slop.. up then out.. place a rag over the shifter illumination.. then undo 3 screws to take the radio out.. once out turn the climate control over undo 2 small screws and the rear cover comes off .. then find the bulb thats out and turn to remove..
Oh brother that's ridiculous. Who knows when I'll find time for that project....

Originally Posted by crownman56
just a note to add i pulled the climate control and clock out of the dash to check on replacing bulbs and they appear to be sealed i was worried about splitting them to get at bulbs any thoughts? thanks again
I wouldn't be worried as long as you find the right places...