XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

99 XJ8 VDP: Ideas for USB charger port location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb 99 XJ8 VDP: Ideas for USB charger port location?

At some point, I'd like to install one or two USB ports, for device charging, somewhere more discreet than using the lighter plug and long cords (my phone is on a window suction-mount, near the middle.

One thought I had was putting a single port below the clock, and between the minus and plus buttons, however, I have never pulled the clock out, so I don't know what kind of cavity exists, if any.

Anybody have other ideas, or have you removed the clock before and can tell me how feasible that idea is?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey buddy that's great idea! I do would like to insert a USB port ! Under the clock would be ideal for just a USB stick tho for your aftermarket stereo (if no port on the face of stereo) how ever I myself wouldn't see the point of it under the clock to charge cellphones as it does not minimize the cord factor! I will be brainstorming of some spots to place! Look forward to any other ideas posted aswell

Old 03-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilklan
Hey buddy that's great idea! I do would like to insert a USB port ! Under the clock would be ideal for just a USB stick tho for your aftermarket stereo (if no port on the face of stereo) how ever I myself wouldn't see the point of it under the clock to charge cellphones as it does not minimize the cord factor! I will be brainstorming of some spots to place! Look forward to any other ideas posted aswell
For my situation, putting it under the clock dramatically minimizes the cord factor. Right now, I require about a 4 foot cord, draped across the shifter, the radio, and the climate control, in order to plug into my phone which is on a suction mount at the center of the window. A cord from the clock to the same location would require about one foot going past the clock and into the phone.

I'm only interested in a charging port, because I use bluetooth to play my music.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilklan
there was a jaguar option of fitting a power socket in the glove box, and also the boot/trunk . I think it was on jagrepair.com that had a pdf showing instructions on how and where to fit. should not be too difficult to substitute a usb socket for a standard 12v cigar lighter type socket. hope this is some help.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,796 Likes on 1,318 Posts

I put my usb in my center council from my head unit. This way no one can see my charging or stereo connected device and its clean. The area under the shifter and either side is real easy to feed wire under. Plus you can tap off of the existing cig lighter and hide the other one under the council (not in the storage box) and put the usb through a small hole in the bottom corner of the box. It becomes real assessable there also, no reaching over to the glove box.
The center council comes off real easy, 4 screws (2 front, 2 back) and the whole box and lid lift right out. You can get an aux cig light from the Rat Shak.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BillDJohnson
For my situation, putting it under the clock dramatically minimizes the cord factor. Right now, I require about a 4 foot cord, draped across the shifter, the radio, and the climate control, in order to plug into my phone which is on a suction mount at the center of the window. A cord from the clock to the same location would require about one foot going past the clock and into the phone.

I'm only interested in a charging port, because I use bluetooth to play my music.
Maybe you'd be better moving the suction mount to the side of the car, by the a pillar, rather than in the middle, and running a cord up the side of the dash?

Old 03-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

This doesn't sound like what you are looking for, and the interior of the X300 is somewhat different, but it may perhaps spur your creativity:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-ideas-105768/

Old 03-16-2014, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I thought the ashtray area would be a good place for this, much like what can be seen in the link. An extreme way of doing it would be to feed a wire to come through the demister vents to link up with your screen mount, that way you would have a very short and minimised cable factor indeed.