XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

99 xj8l does not move when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 99 xj8l does not move when in gear

I made another thread here about what i thought the issues of the car may be from reading the ad:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stalls-175792/

The car came to life without too much issue after sitting for a while. Was able to listen for the timing chain tensioner noise and got nothing, which i was happy about. Everything else seems to check out, besides the transmission.

Put the car in gear, DING, "Transmission Fault", and get absolutely NOTHING out of it. No drop in RPM as the trans should be loading the engine, nothing. All gear positions on the shifter result in no movement of the car. I thought maybe it would be in limp mode (4th gear), but revving the engine doesnt help. I plugged in my obd2 scanner and got a couple misfire codes from it stumbling to life, but nothing else, not that i expected it to be able to read trans codes. I performed a "hard reset", disconnected the battery, connected the terminals together and turned the key on for a minute or so, then turned the key off, and reconnected. Car starts right up, immediate traction control and stability control faults, but no CEL, no trans fault message. Put the car in gear and the trans fault pops up, and car still does not move. Its as if i didnt shift out of park. I did notice that the shifter felt loose, like it was not connected to anything, though i do not know what they are supposed to feel like.

Otherwise very nice car. It was serviced at a Jaguar specific shop here in CT for the past 6 years. I find it strange the trans would drop out of the thing like this, and the previous owner not mentioning it at all as an issue.

Any pointers? The car has 128k on it and is in otherwise good shape. Id hate for it to end up at the junkyard, as the owner isnt asking much for the car, but i dont know if this is something id want to be putting another trans into myself.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 2,241 Posts

It may be nothing more than a broken shifter cable, but I think you should pay for a PPI and get all the facts. it's too risky to buy a Jag if you don't know what's wrong.

The following 2 users liked this post by RJ237:
Don B (01-28-2017), XJRay (02-03-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 04:45 PM

Ok so! Was able to tinker with the car a little bit tonight. There's something up with the shifter inside the car. I can see the cable, and it doesn't move when the shifter moves, so something's broken. The car made it there somehow so that's a good sign. I think I'll make an offer on it and see where it takes me. Anyone know of any weak links in the shifter area?

The following 2 users liked this post by Ahenry014:
Don B (01-28-2017), XJRay (02-03-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 2,241 Posts

You're very brave, but if the price is right it's worth a shot. Maybe the owner can provide a clue as to when/how it happened.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahenry014
Ok so! Was able to tinker with the car a little bit tonight. There's something up with the shifter inside the car. I can see the cable, and it doesn't move when the shifter moves, so something's broken. The car made it there somehow so that's a good sign. I think I'll make an offer on it and see where it takes me. Anyone know of any weak links in the shifter area?
That's good news, the fact you mention the shifter moved light indicated to me something is disconnected.
You can check underneath the car, the lever on the transmission (the other end of the cable) should move.

From what you describe I should not be afraid to take a chance, although more checking is always a good thing.
Good luck!

Old 02-01-2017, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by RJ237
You're very brave, but if the price is right it's worth a shot. Maybe the owner can provide a clue as to when/how it happened.
The owner seems to be unaware of anything wrong with the shifter. States that the reason she parked it was due to stalling when driving (sounds like TB to me). Said nothing about the shifter. Someone backed that car into the garage, so it was somehow broken while sitting there. I can only venture one guess. The garage is unlocked, the house is vacant/for sale, and the car is left unlocked due to the dying battery, so i am guessing someone unsuccessfully tried to force it out of park and broke the shifter.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
That's good news, the fact you mention the shifter moved light indicated to me something is disconnected.
You can check underneath the car, the lever on the transmission (the other end of the cable) should move.

From what you describe I should not be afraid to take a chance, although more checking is always a good thing.
Good luck!
Yea i feel as though the history of the car having been serviced at a Jag specific shop is a very good indication of the condition of the engine/trans. I dont mind if it needs odds and ends, but first things first! Gotta get it home!

Old 02-06-2017, 06:43 AM

Cars home! Im going to be making an intro/project thread shortly.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahenry014
Cars home! Im going to be making an intro/project thread shortly.