XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

99 XJ8L starts then stalls

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 99 XJ8L starts then stalls

Bear with me here on my request. I am looking at a '99 XJ8L with about 150k on it. Beautiful car. The ad states that the car starts but isnt getting gas. I take that as that it starts then stalls, but am not sure. Also states fuel pump has been replaced. It has been maintained for the past 6 years by a very nice Jaguar specific shop in CT. I talked to them over the phone about the cars service with them and it sounds like they took care of the secondary timing chain tensioners, so big bonus there.

See as how the car starts sounds like its not the pump. In my experience, i would take a look at the MAF sensor (100 bucks brand new locally) or throttle body (if its electronic) at this point. I would also look at the fuel pump relay (probably attempt to jump it to ensure pump is running to eliminate it as an issue). Where is the fuel pump relay?

i took a quick look at the car last night in a dark garage and she looks to be in decent shape. I plan to go back tomorrow night armed to the teeth with tools, a charged battery, and an obd scanner. Any other pointers you can give me?

Thank you all. New to Jaguars's but not forums!

Old 01-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

TB is probably cable-operated, with a motor assist and I believe an IAC valve for idle control. I don't have any suggestions without knowing more. Testing the start-stall condition yourself, checking codes and livedata on the OBD, etc are the places to start. Maybe seeing how long it takes to stall, see if holding the gas pedal down slightly after it starts helps prevent stall?

The following 2 users liked this post by nilanium:
Don B (01-27-2017), XJRay (02-03-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:55 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

thank you for your help. got to play with the car last night. i will be making another thread as the car runs fine.