XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

ABS Code reading

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts
Default ABS Code reading

Hi guys..

Having all sorts of grief from wheel nuts done up by a gorilla (and now breaking locking nut adapters) before I took ownership, through to ABS sensors concreted into place and ABS errors 300 miles into ownership.

I am still sure I have a good car just a bit of a project..

I went to clean all the ABS sensors just in case a simple fix and started with the front passenger side ABS sensor( error started just after driving off 2 days ago and been solid ever since ) only to find it concreted into place with age, more a part of the car than the metal it was mounted in!

Damaged it in the process of removing it, so have just finished drilling the old one out and fitting a replacement at £54 from a breaker.*only* three more of these sensors left to try cleaning.

Then I moved onto the rear passenger wheel.. Bolts again too tight (gorrilla has been at all the wheels I think) and locking nut adapter gave up without undoing the locking nut, probably because of all the hassle getting the front wheel nuts released.

I will now order another adapter during the week.

I am going on holiday with the family etc in a few weeks so as a minimum need to know all wheels are removable in case of puncture..

Next weekend, once I have replacement adapter through (best price so far for no.83 lock is £20) I will try to undo the other three wheels and retighten them such that I can remove them roadside.

Meanwhile though I still have the ABS error.. I am hoping by cleaning the remaining three sensors (subject to the others not being seized in place) that I can clear the code...

*but* I would love to read off the code and go directly to the issue... however my code reader for the x-type will not read at all on the xj.

Is there anyone is Sussex area of UK that might be able to pop by with a suitable code reader and read the code off in exchange for a cup of tea? I would really appreciate it if you could.

Apologies for capitalisation, grammar etc but am on mobile currently.

Many many thanks
Steve

Last edited by SteveSheldon; 07-12-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

I obviously can't help on the code reader, but the wheel nuts often feel like they were tightened with a 5 ft. bar if not greased, both threads and outside.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,368 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Steve it sounds like you need a trip to a local Jag indy - they should have the puzzle nut socket to loan, should also have AutoEnginuity/IDS/SnapOn Modus that will read Chassis codes. I don't know of any other readers that will do C codes...

The ABS Fault will be 1 of 2 things, ABS sensors which you're on with and the ABS module's pump connector solder points - you may know they crack and then post 'no ABS/TRAC/Stability' - the best way of fixing the module is to cut it open, resolder and silicone back together - but before doing it, I know it'd be good to know the codes!
You're looking for C1095 if it's the pump solder points.

The following users liked this post:
SteveSheldon (07-13-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 04:31 AM

Well, the advice so far seems to point to removing the locking nut covers and hammering a 17mm socket onto the locking nut and remove them that way because there is a risk of breaking the next unlock tool again before getting these lug nuts off..
*Then* maybe I can have another look at the initial problem with my ABS lol.. all jobs seem to go this way with me.. a simple job leading to other jobs in order to do the job I set out to do :-(

Old 07-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Steve go to Halfords, Laser locking wheel nut removal tool, about £17.

basically it is a pair of sockets with a left hand thread inside, select the one that's the best fit, tap with a hammer and undo with a socket set.

the harder you undo, the harder it grips.

SteveSheldon (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 01:13 PM

OK a mixed bag... a few days after replacing the front nearside abs sensor the warning has gone off YIPEE something going right :-) (I don't have a code reader remember, so I have to wait and hope for any errors to clear down) so I think I was right.. the abs sensor that takes the biggest hammering being kerb side, and front, had issues.. but time will tell as always.. meanwhile I still cant get any wheels off the car - I tried the hammer a socket onto the nut trick, and the lug is way too tough.. so will have to try the Halfords Laser kit @ £17.. despite its mixed reviews with some saying it blunts after one use and huge problems removing it from the removed locking lug.. but unless I get a puncture in next few days that is a headache for another day.. still have three weeks before my holiday thankfully ..
Meanwhile thanks for all the input and I'll keep you updated..

Last edited by SteveSheldon; 07-18-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a similar problem with the wheel nuts on my XJR when I got it but the halfords set removed them with no problems. You will need new nuts though as the old ones are useless after removal.

The only issue with the halfords removal tool is that it is a pig to get off the nuts after use. I found that after breaking the torque on the wheel nut doing it up until the removal tool comes loose and then undoing it again 3 or 4 times lets you get the remover off with a socket wrench and a pair of mole grips.

SteveSheldon (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 02:30 PM

Many thanks for that - I have just ordered the Laser 2 piece set plus a breaker bar and a set of normal long Jaguar lugs to replace them.. I will hopefully be able to get the tool off the nut after each use as I have all four to do, after I refitted the front locking nut before hitting the issue of the locking tool failing.. duh sigh

BUT, at least if this works I will be OK if I get a puncture whilst on holiday with the family piled in the car :-) one worry less!

Last edited by SteveSheldon; 07-18-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:20 AM

These have just arrived:

£8.99
£15.23

so now I can finally get the wheels off this weekend and know I am OK on holiday if I get a puncture:-) ..

(I will let you know how I get on with the Laser tools & if I manage to free them OK after use.. )

Meanwhile replacement lug nuts should be arriving today or tomorrow to replace the locking nuts I am taking off with the Laser tool..

*Then* I get back to the ABS issue which started all this, and I seem to have already solved...

Is it still worth doing any cleaning or such like on all the abs rings etc whilst I am in that area?

Last edited by SteveSheldon; 07-22-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

It's always worth while cleaning the sensor and rings to at least eliminate them as a source of trouble.

SteveSheldon (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

When you remove the puzzle nuts, back the rest off finger tight and carefully roll the car in and out the drive with a stab on the brake pedal on each change of direction, I feel those wheels will be on tight as a duck's ****. It helps loosen them so can be removed easily. It saves getting it jacked up to find the wheel solid to the hub/disc assembly. assemble them with a bit of Copperslip and if you do get a puncture it won't be like the opening credits of the 80's 'incredible hulk' tv show!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6m...rst_shortfilms

Last edited by Sean B; 07-22-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:44 AM

Well, I had a few hours between downpours of rain so I dug out the wrench and the laser tools and thought I would give the puzzle nuts a go..

The first one I made sure the tool was exactly square before threading it on.. it went on and removed the puzzle nut perfectly and then I spent the next 20 minutes with releasing oil and tightening and loosening before eventually I could seperate the tool from the nut.

I thought about this a while and then the next puzzle nut I threaded the tool on at a slight angle. My logic being that there would be less thread contact and may then be easier to remove.. I was right.. a huge eureka moment for a non mechanical person lol.. the next three nuts all came off really easily and have been binned.

I am now waiting for the replacement lug nuts to arrive this week..

Meanwhile.. The XJ is only used weekends and holidays - part of trying to keep the mileage down, and buy time to get the various bits done that need doing.. I have found that when she is parked up for a week, as soon as the ignition goes on the ABS and Stability Control Failure messages come up, but after two journeys everything goes out and it is fine from that point on, until she is parked up again for another week. I haven't taken the wheels off yet to go over the sensors and look at the cabling but am suspicious it might be something else, because it is only after she has been standing for a week and it comes up the instant the ignition is turned on and then goes off after a couple of journeys..

p.s. I now have some Laser locking nut removal tools up for sale if anyone needs them :-)

Old 07-27-2015, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

If standing for a week and you get the abs flash up on ignition, it's 100% a tired battery.

SteveSheldon (07-27-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

+1 battery

SteveSheldon (07-28-2015)