XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

ABS light/ASC failure/No Trac lights --> $2500?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Personally -- I would never drive on a 8 year old battery ... regardless of it's condition. Batteries can be fine one day and dead the next. But, that me.

Next problem. Dealers work on new cars ... as time goes by the mechanics see less and less of the older cars ... Only one of the dealers I frequent has any long term history with older Jaguars. Dealers don't fix -- they replace. Jaguar has no program or instructions to fix the ABS pump == on the rare occasion some part is fixed/rebuilt -- they send them out. They gave you the cost of the pump and the couple of hours to install.

I occasionally get the ABS failure -- I ignore it ... I rarely get it again on startup. When it becomes a real problem -- I will have the dealer scan it so I know exactly what is up.

Personally -- with what they most likely paid for the car ... I think you could have pushed them a bit to fix the car. Even if it cost you a bit more ... plus would have insisted on a new battery.

The trunk wires are a common failure -- and can be intermittent. Fine one day .. not the next. The radio code points to a dead battery or disconnected battery -- not unusual.

Many dealers are setup where sales/parts/service all act independently. The sales guys want to make all the money on used vehicles -- and get the service department to fix a car on the cheap. The service deponent does not want to "sell" the sales department a services at a discount -- And parts wants full wholesale.

The smaller dealer -- that I like the best ......does not work this way.

Example: A few years back I bought a new Nissan truck for the office -- I always included an extra key into the purchase price for office vehicles. That way I know I have a key in my desk for the vehicles. The salesman was newish and I guess had no idea what a key cost -- over $300 .. retail. He had figured in $35.00 -- I did not know this. The parts department would not "sell" the sales department a key at the wholesale price .. still $125.00. I'm trying to pick-up the truck and these guys are blaming me ...
What I was implying was that the battery may not be eight years old. That was the most recent on the carfax. It could have been replaced 2 years ago, for all I know.

This dealer isn't a dealer in new cars - only used. Their shop works on a variety of ages (I saw a couple of 1960s Mercedes in the shop). But as I said, it's almost exclusively German.

If I really wanted to extract a concession, it seems the most effective way is to leave a scathing (and honest, in this case) google review. They seem to protect that.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Most batteries have a date code? That should be easy --- Jaguar did have a program where they installed Interstate batteries if the white OE was not available. What color/ brand is the battery.

When I hear "dealer" I am assuming it's a manufactures dealer of the make ... unless it's "used car dealer"

Some states have an implied warranty for used cars sold by a licensed used car dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Amelorn (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Most batteries have a date code? That should be easy --- Jaguar did have a program where they installed Interstate batteries if the white OE was not available. What color/ brand is the battery.

When I hear "dealer" I am assuming it's a manufactures dealer of the make ... unless it's "used car dealer"

Some states have an implied warranty for used cars sold by a licensed used car dealer.
Thanks for that

The date code on the battery indicates April 2014. That would be in-line with the test measurements (no 8 year battery could have a charge of 844 cc against an 850 rating).

Old 03-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Replace batteries every 3 years. Computers need good electrons....
Get the shop manuals, an obd2 reader, a VOM, soldering iron etc. You can buy a lot of tools for the price of one dealer visit. Either you need lots of $$ or learn to work on the
older car if you want to keep it going. You tube has many good videos on how to do everything. When you get stuck find an honest mechanic with good recommendations.

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (03-25-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 03:08 PM

Final update:

After 7,000 (now at 47,600) miles in 8 weeks, the Trifecta began appearing on my dashboard in late March with regularity after the 45,500 mark. It could be triggered by spirited driving or some disturbance to matching wheel speeds: a bump, puddle.

The operation of buying the tools, bending the brake lines, cracking the sealed unit, soldering, patching up the unit, and re-bending the brake lines seemed a bit much for someone who has never even changed a tire.

Since I was due for an oil service, I called Peter Giacobbi at Gulfstream Jaguar of Fort Lauderdale and asked about the re-solder repair. "No Problem."

Oil service, air filter, and the ABS module fixed cost all of $550 (ABS costing $350). My confidence in the shop was immediate on seeing XJ specimens from 197? to 2009 all over the place and three grizzled campaigners working on them.

Not the most cost-effective option (versus DIY, ebay send-off), but given my habit for screwing up repairs in other facets of my life, I think this was one of the wiser possible choices.

Last edited by Amelorn; 04-11-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

It does sound like a wise choice! Sawing into a module is not a good beginners DIY! And the cost does seem reasonable, given all.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even sending off the ABS module is no slam dunk that the fix will work.
I sent mine off to a guy on eBay, when I got it back, the car would not recognize the part. I guess there is supposed to be a way to couple the part to the car via computer program, but my local independent Jag shop did not know about it, and ended up selling me a used ABS module for $300.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Received 8,143 Likes on 4,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Martin
Even sending off the ABS module is no slam dunk that the fix will work.
I sent mine off to a guy on eBay, when I got it back, the car would not recognize the part. I guess there is supposed to be a way to couple the part to the car via computer program, but my local independent Jag shop did not know about it, and ended up selling me a used ABS module for $300.
SOMETIMES the ABS module needs to configured to the CAN bus as a NEW PART. The INST PK display will read INCORRECT PART FITTED.

PDU/WDS/IDS and a few other 'high-end' diagnostic machines will configure the modules.

bob