XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

abs module repair !

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default abs module repair !

hey thanks for checking out my post well i did the abs module repair myself cause i keep having the abs / trac /asc not available light always on .So then I opened my abs module saw the two pin connectors cracked with the bad connection as I was suppose to see ,but i still have the light on. I tried disconnecting the battery and auto zone couldn't find any codes just the P1000 which is nothing any advice ??? oh oh yeah i been driving around a lot hoping it would just disappear but not yet.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,799 Likes on 2,236 Posts

My experience with the XK8 is that the light should go out if you did a good repair. Maybe you also have a wheel sensor circuit problem.
The generic readers can not read chassis codes, so they can't help. P1000 means the internal tests are not complete, caused by disconnecting the battery. It will change to P1111.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Did you just disconnect the battery or did you do a hard reset? Just a thought...

Go to a Jaguar dealership and have them read the codes for you, might be some of the best money ever spent.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 AM

how do you do a hard reset?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Just disconnect the negative cable and touch it to the positive post. Insures that capacitors in the modules are bled off.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Also make sure nothing is connected to the negative terminal -- you can also disconnect both the pos and neg and touch them together for a minute or so if you're uncomfortable touching the neg to the pos with the pos connected to the battery.

After a hard reset you will have to let the car re-learn a few things -- you will notice the idle being high or erratic, for example. There's a procedure for doing this, it escapes me for now.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:32 PM

okay i did the hard rest procedure and i even reopened the abs module again to take a second look this time looking very careful to observe the tiniest crack or poor connections any where . does anybody know if my model car does have wheel sensors so i can try and clean them

Old 10-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, this was taken from the X308 Workshop Manual

Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)

The ABS components are combined with an hydraulic booster and a tandem master cylinder to provide a two circuit braking system. The system comprises, four wheel speed sensors, a brake control modulator and an ABS warning lamp.

Should a wheel start to lock-up during braking a signal transmitted from the wheel speed sensor to the brake control modulator will start the hydraulic pump. The brake control modulator will close the input valve of the line connected to the locked-wheel to stop any increase in fluid pressure to the brake caliper. If this fails to prevent the wheel locking, the pressure in the caliper will be decreased by opening the return valve until the wheel starts accelerating again. The fluid pressure from the return valve is directed into the low pressure accumulator, housed in the pump.

From the low pressure accumulator, fluid is pumped through the damping chamber to the brake master cylinder. The pressure to the brake caliper will then be increased in small steps to maintain maximum adhesion between the tire and road surface. This is achieved by closing the return valve, and opening the input valve and using the hydraulic pump to increase the pressure.

Although the system senses all four wheels independently, the rear wheels are regulated as a pair. If a sensor on a rear wheel detects a wheel decelerating rapidly, then the fluid pressure to both wheels is reduced. The fluid pressure is then dictated by the wheel having the lowest adhesion with the road surface.

The ABS system will be set in a fail-safe mode if a problem is detected; a warning lamp on the instrument panel will notify the driver there is a problem. The brake system will still operate conventionally and with the same standard of performance as a vehicle not equipped with ABS.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes, they are held in by one bolt with a wire attached. Just remove then, clean off the dirt and the connection surface and it should fix the problem granted that one is not bad.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Or, drive over and see motorcarman or other independent Jag mechanic and get the code read! The cost will be minimal and will point to the actual problem.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

I used to recommend getting the modules interrogated for DTCs but then these threads end abruptly.
If people keep offering suggestions and people keep replacing parts we get to read the trials and tribulations for days while the saga continues.

No harm in soldering the power pins in the module as they will probably fail sometime anyway but most is hit or miss.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
plums (10-20-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 04:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default This could be the problem.

Hi,
I had exactly the same problem, same messages etc. on and off for about 12 months, it got so bad that it eventually went into "Fail safe engine mode", I managed to get the car home and decided to have another look under the hood. I have attached a picture of the two fuse boxes at the front of the car, you will notice a short 6" or so cable connects the two, this supplies 12v to the fuses and relays. On mine there was a poor connection to the bigger of the fuse boxes, 1st. of all disconnect the battery, (make sure you have the radio code first :-)) I now made sure both ends of the cable were clean and bright and refitted it, I have since done over 500 miles without any warnings. I am positive this cable was the culprit, it will only take you a few minutes to check it. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails abs module repair !-relay.jpg  
plums (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Default Abs failure

I don't think this is the same issue so let me explain what is happening. ABS light and message comes on intermitantly after about 4-5 engine starts then goes off for a few starts then on again. The ABS pulsatating action happens all the time at slow speeds, 10-20mph mostly when slowing into a turn. I've had to come to a sudden stop avoiding an accident and the ABS kicked on as it was supposed to and worked just fine. Don't know why the ABS action happens going into slow turns. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

tonycauch (10-31-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by v8mad
Hi,
I had exactly the same problem, same messages etc. on and off for about 12 months, it got so bad that it eventually went into "Fail safe engine mode", I managed to get the car home and decided to have another look under the hood. I have attached a picture of the two fuse boxes at the front of the car, you will notice a short 6" or so cable connects the two, this supplies 12v to the fuses and relays. On mine there was a poor connection to the bigger of the fuse boxes, 1st. of all disconnect the battery, (make sure you have the radio code first :-)) I now made sure both ends of the cable were clean and bright and refitted it, I have since done over 500 miles without any warnings. I am positive this cable was the culprit, it will only take you a few minutes to check it. Hope this helps.
There are multiple joints in the positive side of the power distribution circuits. Checking and cleaning them all can save lots of future grief. The hardest one is the alternator output to starter junctions and starter to false bulkhead. But, they are very important ones.

Be aware that on all of the fuse boxes the main power stud is only held by, at most a 1/8" thick plastic hex shaped depression for the bolt head. It is very fragile, so over tightening can be costly. The internal circuits are also not the expected copper busses, but only a circuit board that carries all of the amperage. They have been cost engineered to the point of failure. Good and tight does not work out well on these components.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default ABS module

Hi
Today i fix my ABS module, before to do the work i check all the ABS sensor.
The problem was those two pins inside the module.
Problem solved.

The following 3 users liked this post by gabrielbecheanu:
Maninahat98 (10-24-2013), Nicdilla (10-31-2013), RJ237 (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Another success. Thanks for telling us gabriel. Others will be encouraged to do the repair themselves.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought this car a few days ago and till now i have something to fix because the previews owner do not have mechanical and electrical skills. ABS not working, the ABS sensor on the right front wheel has poor connection (clean the contacts and all are OK now) Now i have something else to do I must change the front tires because they don`t have the same size as rear tires
The right dimension for this car is 255/40/18 (661.2 mm diameter) now i have on the rear axle 245/45/18 (677.7 mm diameter) witch is to big and on the front axle i have 245/40/18 (653 mm diameter) and this is to small and the ABS sensor read different speed between the axes . Tomorrow i will buy another two tires 245/45/18 to have the same size. Next year after the winter goes i will buy the right size for the summer. Now i must prepare for the winter and i will search for a 16" wheel and 225/55/16 tires
Because the reading differences is tow big the ABS not working properly, the amber light come on after a few meters after start moving the car.
I will post here all the improvement i will made to this car regarding the ABS system.
Hope to have luck ant the tires changing solve my problem.
I want to thank you for all the information containing on this forum
Hope to read my regards all the guys who give us detailed information.
All the best

Old 10-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gabrielbecheanu
Hi
Today i fix my ABS module, before to do the work i check all the ABS sensor.
The problem was those two pins inside the module.
Problem solved.
Do you have a picture of the two pins? I would love to check mine as well.
Thanks, nicdilla

Old 10-31-2013, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a picture of a XK8, but the same thing.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi friends.
Similar issues with my '99 XJ8.
Eventually had to spring for a rebuild ($500 approx.).
This module runs ASC, Traction,and ABS functions.
While it is a rather costly fix, it's is relatively easy to
pull out and reinstall.
Guess I could have saved a few bucks there.
Many independent shops can rebuild this piece.
Regards,

Quick Reply: abs module repair !