XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

abs and stability control

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs and stability control

Hi my name is Rian i wanted to know if anyone could help me out... I'm a young kid who loves my 98 xj8 i have changed many parts from a flexplate to head lights to valve cover gaskets. but i just made this account to find out why my abs light and stability control stays on ... i cleaned my wheel sensors and i took it to a dealer they told me they couldn't find out why can someone help..

Old 10-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Has your check engine light come on at all? If so, you can pull the codes which might help point you in the right direction...

Also, and I ask this only due to personal experience, have you noticed any throttle surging leading to limp mode?

Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 AM

yes my engine light does come on and off for some random reason no i haven't noticed any thing else... i'm very new to this stuff so i'm not sure whats going on i just hate how there is lights glowing on my dash .... i will try to find out what the codes are then maybe you and others will be able to help me out better...

Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Next time the Check Engine light comes on, have the OBD codes read - most major auto parts stores (at least here in the US) will read them for you for free... Once you have the error codes, if they're above 1100, cross reference them to the Jaguar codes - http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/jaguar/

It's very hard to run down the problem without a starting point from the codes.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 10-25-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

While the previous advice is all correct, my GUESS is that you are suffering from a common ABS module problem where the motor connector comes lose where it is soldered to the circuit board. To repair, you need to carefully saw the module apart along the seam, do a fairly easy solder job, then reseal it with silicone seal. If you do not want to saw your Jag apart, there are reportedly several sources that do it for about $100 or so. Check the archives and if you cannot find the thread, post back and we can direct you to it.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Have the same issue with a (new to me) 2001 XJ8. On mine, I get ASC and Trac unavailable messages. There are apparently a variety of issues that could be going on, depending on what message(s) your getting, what warning lights might or might not be lighting up and when you get the message. Issues range from a circuit failure (wheel sensor leads), ABS control module (as indicated in another post) and possibly a TPS issue, although the TPS issue seems to be rare and usually includes the vehicle going into limp home mode and getting failsafe messages. Check the codes (my next move) to see if you can get some targeted info and go from there.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default abs lights

I was having this problem with my 2003 XJ8. After reading the advice on here, the first thing I did was to take it for a good drive. That cured it for me. From what I gathered, if the battery is low this problem can occur. My wife drives the car and only locally so the battery gets low. Now I get to drive it more to put mils on it.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the ABS and Trac 'not available' message on my 2001 VDP and it was not lying . The car needed a wheel bearing anyway so when they had the wheels off they cleaned the wheel or ABS sensor (??) and it went away.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS/TRAC not available

I've also seen on the post that inflating the tires to the proper air pressure has helped some folks as well.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph
Hi my name is Rian i wanted to know if anyone could help me out... I'm a young kid who loves my 98 xj8 i have changed many parts from a flexplate to head lights to valve cover gaskets. but i just made this account to find out why my abs light and stability control stays on ... i cleaned my wheel sensors and i took it to a dealer they told me they couldn't find out why can someone help..
To repair that ABS/Stability control problem it will cost you around $400. The problem exist inside the ABS module. There is some soldering work that needs to be done. I learned this from Buckhead Imports in Atlanta GA.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:25 PM

It is easisest to just get the codes read at a dealership or another mechanic that has the right equipment. Otherwise you could be chasing it for awhile. I have the same problem, cleaned my wheel sensors, checked the battery, checked my tire pressure....finally just took it to my mechanic to get the real answer. Because I am a REAL good customer, he didi it for free. My problem is the module.

I have not had mine done yet but I am looking at this place - www.modulemaster.com . You remove the module yourself and send it to him. He fixes it within a couple of days and sends it back to you to re-install. They even have instuctions on their site. The service comes with a lifetime warranty adn they chargre around $100. They are probably just doing what is described in this thread - sawing the thing in half and re-soldering but I am not comfortable doing that myself.

I have not sent it to them yet because this is my daily driver and need to plan a few days off or get a rental which I can't afford right now. I have heard two stories in various threads in this forum. Some say you can drive the car withour the module - others have had issues when trying that.

Good luck,
Joe
98 VDP

Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

You can drive the car but you are not going to have traction control, ABS and your CEL light will be on. Lots of folks drive around like that permanently.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

i sawed my open and resoldered the connection that had vibrated loose...easy peasy...check the threads for the step by step, it works great...

Old 12-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Kudos to you!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 PM
wfd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pdog2000
i sawed my open and resoldered the connection that had vibrated loose...easy peasy...check the threads for the step by step, it works great...
Hi pdog2000,

I can't seem to find the step by step soldering instruction. Please attach the link. Thanks.

Bill

Old 01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

This is what you are looking for http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...e%20Repair.pdf I hope it helps.

This is another link that is on the xk8 FAQ . https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37907 I this helps!

Last edited by Gus; 01-11-2011 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jaginblack (01-15-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:04 PM
wfd

Originally Posted by Gus
This is what you are looking for http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...e%20Repair.pdf I hope it helps.

This is another link that is on the xk8 FAQ . https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37907 I this helps!
Thank you Gus. One more question regarding RTV. What brand do you recommend?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Remember that I did not write this process but if it were me I would use RTV gasket maker and once it seals/cures I would check that I did not miss a spot, the bolts will compress and hold it in place.

This process was written much after I paid to have one replaced in my xj6 & xk8. You have no idea how lucky you are to have this process. I am making it available to people that need it.

Thank You Dan Jansen for the procedure and Paul for the update and additional information.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
wfd
Thumbs up Jag Forums Rock!!!

Originally Posted by Gus
Remember that I did not write this process but if it were me I would use RTV gasket maker and once it seals/cures I would check that I did not miss a spot, the bolts will compress and hold it in place.

This process was written much after I paid to have one replaced in my xj6 & xk8. You have no idea how lucky you are to have this process. I am making it available to people that need it.

Thank You Dan Jansen for the procedure and Paul for the update and additional information.
I am extremely grateful and humbled for support Jag Forums offers. Not only has it educated me more with fixing my car, it's made me more aware in dealing with mechanics. Repairing the ABS module, for example, just saved me at the least $900 ($3000 if I walked into this repair blindly). Thanks again JF and thanks for sharing this info Gus and all!!