XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Abs/ Traction Control Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Abs/ Traction Control Warning Light

Hey Forum!
My 2003 XJ8 does this thing where every time it starts up it flashes the "abs/traction control not available" warning message on the message center. Now when I first bought the car it remained on for a whole drive until I shut the car off and somtimes it would come back on and somtimes it would stay off. Like I said in the begining, now the message only comes on breifly when I start up the car. Is this a problem, is it typical? Does anyone else have this issue? Or is this just a part of the startup sequence?
Thanks!

Old 01-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Oscartblossom
Hey Forum!
My 2003 XJ8 does this thing where every time it starts up it flashes the "abs/traction control not available" warning message on the message center. Now when I first bought the car it remained on for a whole drive until I shut the car off and somtimes it would come back on and somtimes it would stay off. Like I said in the begining, now the message only comes on breifly when I start up the car. Is this a problem, is it typical? Does anyone else have this issue? Or is this just a part of the startup sequence?
Thanks!
Same thing has been happening to mine (along with other problems, but, I'm sorting through them one by one (as my checkbook stands it...)); it seems to flash on for an instant, as you say, but then goes off. Never get the yellow ABS light on when that message shows up, so, assuming it's as the system is initializing?

Any insights, here's two of us who notice it...

(or, is it a case of, as we say in the Lotus drivers' enclaves 'They all do that, sir." as an excuse for some of the more quaint characteristics of the cars...)

Old 01-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem the ABS/trac not available would come on as soon as the system check did its thing, but my message would stay on and never go out. I fixed it by re-soldering the ABS pump power pins on the ABS circuit board. Its a common problem with these cars the solder on the pins breaks off the circuit board.

However it could also be one of the wheel sensors is dirty cleaning.

If the message goes out I would not be to worried if it were a serious problem the car would tell you.

Last edited by dcdecs; 01-26-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

Mine did that until I replaced the battery. If it stays on it is usually the power pin solder issue with the ABS module.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:08 AM

My money is on the power connector pins as well... the same issue drove me nuts last spring, finally pulled the ABS mod and soldered it. There is a great post with pics of pulling the module, cutting open the box and soldering the pin/s. Not horrible to do, but two of the four bolts are a bugger to get at! Cutting into the box is nerve racking but easy.. Here's the links that helped me...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-issue-50890/

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...e%20Repair.pdf

Old 01-27-2015, 11:11 AM

quick addition to above... it can be done without messing with the break lines.. just be careful and take it slow....

Old 01-27-2015, 08:13 PM

I forgot to mention that my abs and traction control both work perfectly. I havnt had any trouble with the actual abs and traction control just this message center that is throwing me off. It just baffles me that it used to stay on and now it doesent, its not consistent.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

Buy a new battery!!!!!!!!!!!

When I let one of my XJ8s sit for a week or two and start it, it will display 'trac control' or some other fault briefly until the alt 'kicks-in' an the batt voltage comes up to normal operation. It is NORMAL because computers/modules DO NOT LIKE LOW VOLTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can try to attach another battery in tandem with jumper cables and you should NOT see that in the display.

Or you can just accept it and know that this is the reason.

bob gauff