XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

ABS/Traction/Stability

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a quick update...

Got the codes read today (£30), both front wheel circuits open, even though I did a full continuity check when I cleaned the sensors....so I assume that the connectors are a bit dodgy, or the cables are breaking down.

At least I know that the expensive bits work....will have a play with the cables when it warms up a little....

Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Default ABS Mystery Resolved

Hello,

I have had the ABS warnings off and on for a while. Cleaned the wheel sensors and it seemed to work for a number of months Then a couple weeks ago it came back on and after a few days, went into "Engine Fail Safe" mode. I saw someone mentioned cleaning the brake switch. I removed the assembly, sprayed a liberal amount of contact cleaner into it, and when I reassembled the switch, it cleared the warning. That has been about two weeks. I hope it's fixed!
Thanks much for the tip....I'd never suspect that part. BTW, I put an ohm meter on the switch and it read OK. Two outside pins are normally closed...two inside normally open. They switch state when the brake is applied. Never the less, cleaning it stopped the issue.
Best, Dave

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (12-11-2012)
Old 01-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Default ABS-Engine Fail Update

Hello,

Well my 2000 VDP ran a few weeks after I cleaned the wheel sensors but the engine fail mode reared it's ugly head again. I got it to the shop by turning it off, waiting a while, (ten seconds to about 15 minutes) and starting it again. Would drive a bit until it went into fail mode again, and repeat the on-off routine through 5:00 Atlanta freeway traffic.
They diagnosed it as the throttle body sensor. I drove it home and found the site in Tennessee that repairs them. I shipped it Friday and it was repaired and returned by Thursday the next week. The car has run perfectly since it was re-installed. The company is ASI~ Automotive Scientific Industries. They are sort of hard to find on the web. They repair ECU and ABS units too. It was $325 for the repair. They prefer you buy it through their Ebay store.
Link: 2000 01 2002 Jaguar XKR 00 2003 XJR Throttle Body Assembly Repair LNE1560BA | eBay

I highly recommend them...
Best, Dave Warner

The following 3 users liked this post by David N. Warner:
richard thomas (01-14-2013), RJ237 (01-13-2013), sparkenzap (01-13-2013)