XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

AC blower not working 2003 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AC blower not working 2003 XJ8

On my 2003 XJ8 the fan for the AC stopped working. I searched the threads and found out about the 2 micro relays under passenger side back seat panel. Bought 2 new relays and changed them out, but still no fan. Everything else on the ac control display seams to work. when I turn the knob for the fan I can see the display increase the lines for the fan motor. I am wondering if my next step is to find the fan motors location and start trouble shooting the motor itself???
I would appreciate any help.
Thank you,
Leif

Old 04-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar problem when I bought my XJR. The drivers side motor worked, but not the passenger side. I pulled the passenger blower (yes, this is do-able, but not enjoyable. I can do it in 10-15 min now.), and it tested out working fine.

Found a broken wire in the passenger foot well, which broke the connection to the motor. Repaired the wire, back in business.

For what it's worth.

Did you also check the fuses?

Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 AM

Thank you for your reply Doug. I have checked all fuses. 2 panels under back seat and by the battery and 2 fuse boxes under the hood. Do you know if the 2003 has 2 blower motors or one? Can you point me to the right places to look. I think one is under passenger glove box but where is the other if this model has 2 motors??
Thanks.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:17 PM

It has two. One behind the glovebox, and one in the basic same location on the opposite side.

If you remove the little storage compartment to the lower left of the steering wheel the You can see the motor wheel in there through the opening.

I would personally test your HVAC head unit before pulling the motors apart....you more than likely have a central issue - rather than both motors going out.

Have you downloaded JTIS?

Last edited by Shotimer; 04-28-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:56 AM

I do not have the complete JTIS service instructions. I have more of the technical information and the parts book.
I used to have the trouble shooting instruction for the AC system but I can not find it anymore.
If you have a link for the AC trouble shooting and the complete JTIS I would appreciate it.
Thank you,

Old 04-30-2016, 11:03 AM

Its something you have to download - links are at the top of the page.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:00 PM

Hi Doug,
This weekend I had time to do some trouble shooting. I downloaded the Workshop Manual. I started to put 12V. direct to the fan and the fan runs. Like you suggested something central because both fans are not running. I checked the relay circuit. I had voltage to engage the relay in the relay socket when I turned on the fan button. and I checked the relays, I manually put voltage to engage the relay and the relay closed the contactor. I am now at the point to check the A/CCM. However I will do the self test on the A/C display when I get home this evening to see if it will indicate anything I can work on. Back to the A/CCM, do you know or if anyone else know what is the reading for the AC002 Connector identity chart on pin # 7 RH blower motor voltage feedback and pin # 8 RH blower motor drive signal. pin 15 & 16 are for the LH motor. I have seen the flap close for the recirculating air when I push the on button, so I think everything else if working properly except the blower motors.
If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the input.
Thank you,
Leif