XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

AC Compressor Clutch Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts
Default AC Compressor Clutch Removal

My AC Compressor on the XJR is raising a racket when the compressor clutch is disengaged. It is quiet as it should be when engaged, so I am pretty sure the clutch pilot bearing is shot. Does anyone know how to get the clutch off without removing the compressor?
Thanks

Old 12-22-2015, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,105 Likes on 848 Posts

Time and lots of patience. Remove drive belt, 10mm bolt that holds the clutch needs removed. There should be some small shims either inside the now removed clutch or on the ground because they fall out. Whatever the case, don't lose them as that's what you'll need upon reinstallation. You'll need some good offset snap ring pliers and maybe a small flat head screwdriver to remove the snap ring. Now comes the fun part.... Hope you brought your patience with this.... I use compressed air to clean up the snout that the bearing has to slide over and use lots of P'Blaster. It would probably be best to spray like a half can in between the inner bearing and the snout and let sit overnight. Getting the hub to move on the snout and can be an act of congress. I can't remember if you can get a puller in there or not. Unless you have access to a good used compressor clutch assembly for an XJ
(an XK hub will not work, ask me how I know this) it would probably be almost the same cost as a new compressor. I seem to remember the last time I priced a new compressor clutch assembly was over $200. You can get a whole new aftermarket compressor for somewhere around the same cost....
Anyways, continuing on.... It will take a series of angled and flat pry bars, hammering, cussing, spraying the other half can of P'Blaster and with a lot of luck, the hub bearing will eventually slide off.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

I have been down this road a couple of times -- do you homework on the full costs. In the end I have always gone the new compressor route. They were easy in the old days -- unbolt the old clutch and install the new one ... it's just not as easy.

Is you AC system currently working as it should .. any recent service? Miles? If you go the whole replacement route research the various options.

Back about 10 years ago we had a fleet of mercury sables -- we had a large number of AC clutch failures at around 100k miles. After doing some looking we found it was cheaper to get the kits that included the whole compressor and numerous other parts -- we were looking for another 50k ... not another 100k. Many if not all the less expensive replacements are from China .. although I believe Denso now has an OE plant in China.

I had to have a new compressor hose installed a couple of summers ago -- think the cost was a bit over $400.00 --- the hose and dryer were just over $200.00.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Yep, I was afraid it was as you guys are telling me. I replaced the compressor a few years ago and broke the long mounting bolt. Fortunately, I had it on a lift and have a good right angle drill, short bits and a helicoil kit! I was not looking forward to removing the compressor again, but with any luck, it won't be corroded in so bad this time.
Thanks for the bad news (and Merry Christmas)

Old 12-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,105 Likes on 848 Posts

I feel your pain... A few weeks back on a 05' XK8, I had to replace a leaking timing cover gasket and when tightening down the crank pulley bolt, it decided to break off about 80% of the way down. Many drill bits, several hours and a trip to ACE hardware later, it was finally done.