XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Accelerator Design / Position in XJ8 X308

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Accelerator Design / Position in XJ8 X308

I am curious if anyone else has noticed this and had made, or considered, an alteration.

I find the accelerator position in our Jags rather unique compared to many other vehicles. I find most other vehicles work where you place your heel on the floor and start with the accelerator pedal at about 60 to 70 degrees (vertical is 90 degrees). You then just use your ankle to pivot and accelerate - your foot stays flat with that type of pedal positioning.

With these 308s it seems that the pedal starts at a much flatter angle - say 45 degrees when the seat is positioned comfortably. I am 5' 11" and unless I move the seat way far forward this is the angle of the accelerator.

So it seems with theses 308s I have to push the accelerator with my toes and my leg muscles if I am at a comfortable seat position (and understand comfortable for me is closer than average anyway).

My girlfriend who is 5' 7' has to pull the seat even farther forward and still accelerates with her toes and leg muscles.

So I am curious to any comments!

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by robertjag
I am curious if anyone else has noticed this and had made, or considered, an alteration.

I find the accelerator position in our Jags rather unique compared to many other vehicles. I find most other vehicles work where you place your heel on the floor and start with the accelerator pedal at about 60 to 70 degrees (vertical is 90 degrees). You then just use your ankle to pivot and accelerate - your foot stays flat with that type of pedal positioning.

With these 308s it seems that the pedal starts at a much flatter angle - say 45 degrees when the seat is positioned comfortably. I am 5' 11" and unless I move the seat way far forward this is the angle of the accelerator.

So it seems with theses 308s I have to push the accelerator with my toes and my leg muscles if I am at a comfortable seat position (and understand comfortable for me is closer than average anyway).

My girlfriend who is 5' 7' has to pull the seat even farther forward and still accelerates with her toes and leg muscles.

So I am curious to any comments!

Thanks!
I am 6 feet tall, size 12 feet (USA size 13 I believe) - I find the brake pedal height really good for me, heel on the floor etc. as you describe. I have a long ish back and 'shorter' legs 31/32".....so maybe that's the issue? Didn't notice any 'angular issues'....wondering if there is something wrong with the pedal position? Adjustment/settings?....Allan

Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't know about the angle, but I did notice that the manner in which I depress the accelerator is a little different than in other cars. I tend to sit closer with my legs bent to make it easier and more natural. I'm 5'11" (I WAS at one point in my life!) and have always found the most comfortable position (until my Jaguar) to be about as far back as the seat would go!

A big plus for my "new" seat position is a lack of fatigue on long trips (I'm sure the comfortable seats contribute a bit, too!) -- I can drive 1,000 miles in a day and not be all sore and bagged out.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

I never have likdped that pedal. I used some thick dense foam with an adhesive strip to build up the pedal so,that it does not require as much ankle deflection.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

There is also the factor of having to angle the foot towards the tunnel.

Add the lump at the front of the seat cushion and a car which should let you drive eight hours non-stop gives you a massive knot in the back of the thigh after two hours.

Very irritating on a car which is otherwise built for long distance cruising at speed.

The ergonomics for the lower half of the driver's body are just horrible. The left foot is too far from the dead pedal, and the right foot requires awkward placement. And the steering wheel doesn't extend far enough.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
The ergonomics for the lower half of the driver's body are just horrible. The left foot is too far from the dead pedal, and the right foot requires awkward placement. And the steering wheel doesn't extend far enough.
I have to disagree with you there -- this car is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. I drive long distances several times a year and have finally found a car that isn't hard on my body, and that includes lower back and legs. I can hop out of this car after running out a full tank of gas and feel pretty good!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Clearly different strokes. . . . Leg length is the issue; raising or lowering the seat, and changing rake angle makes ahuge difference on the pain in both knee and hams.

six three and mostly lower leg . . . Different stroke. . . .

Worst I ever drove was a Mercury Sable rental, best, LR 3. 308 somewhere in between, although the angle of the throttle aggravates shin splints . . .

Old 09-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jhartz
although the angle of the throttle aggravates shin splints . . .
That was the phrase! Shin splints.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
I have to disagree with you there -- this car is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. I drive long distances several times a year and have finally found a car that isn't hard on my body, and that includes lower back and legs. I can hop out of this car after running out a full tank of gas and feel pretty good!
Well, good for you. But from the number of respondents, it would seem that there are plenty of people who have another experience.

I have been making the same drive several times a year for decades. The X308 is the worst of the lot for the drive in terms of driver comfort. It's the best for eating up the miles fast, but the enjoyment is spoiled by shin splints.

The best was a Mk III Supra Turbo.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

But you have maybe all missed an important point.

The Jaguar was designed as RHD not LHD.

And as such, the driver's right foot is pretty much perfectly positionned to use the accelerator and rest towards the right hand sill corner.

Whilst the left foot has loads of space towards the center tunnel. (and remains unused).

UNLESS of course you are saying that LHD Jaguars have a bizzare system of opposing pedals?

I have a mix of RHD and LHD cars, and in all instances, the LHD cars give far less space for my useable foot.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

I had considered that. And on the LHD, the accelerator seems to be fitted around the tunnel and too close to it. Sometimes the tunnel carpet catches the edge of the shoe. It can be a bit scary when you need to pass "right now!" I have already trimmed the end of the heating duct immediately above the accelerator because it would frequently catch the toe of my shoe. Happened on the very first test drive pulling onto the main road. Almost got t-boned by a little old lady in a VW.

Of course, as a lifetime right handed shifter, I cannot fathom the possibility of shifting with the left hand. At least not as quickly and surely.

Last edited by plums; 09-12-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Translator
But you have maybe all missed an important point.

The Jaguar was designed as RHD not LHD.

And as such, the driver's right foot is pretty much perfectly positionned to use the accelerator and rest towards the right hand sill corner.
I am not sure I agree with the above. First, it would be interesting to see just how many cars are sold right hand drive v. left hand drive. Most of the world is left hand drive so that would dictate that some accommodation would have to be made in the design.

Regardless, with a left hand drive vehicle a person of regular height is still having to almost point their foot to get moderate to advanced acceleration/mid-throttle opening. And to achieve this the driver's heel comes off the floor board so he can point his foot.

Ergonomics would have the whole procedure involving only the pivoting of the ankle. I think the polling shows that more people than not are noticing this as a problem.

Robert

Old 09-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by robertjag
I am not sure I agree with the above. First, it would be interesting to see just how many cars are sold right hand drive v. left hand drive. Most of the world is left hand drive so that would dictate that some accommodation would have to be made in the design.

Regardless, with a left hand drive vehicle a person of regular height is still having to almost point their foot to get moderate to advanced acceleration/mid-throttle opening. And to achieve this the driver's heel comes off the floor board so he can point his foot.

Ergonomics would have the whole procedure involving only the pivoting of the ankle. I think the polling shows that more people than not are noticing this as a problem.

Robert
being in the UK my xjr is obviously RHD, and have no trouble with the throttle pedal. my previous car (1994 ford mustang LHD ) had a very awkward throttle action.
AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, most of AFRICA and until the 60s Sweden drive on the left. If legend is correct it is napoleons fault (he being left handed allegedly) that countries drive on the right. most people are right handed, therefore in days gone by when we went to battle on horseback you carried your sword in your right hand and so did your foe... if you charge at him so as he is on your right( and you his) it makes it so much easier to bash him with your sword, club, mace (insert weapon of choice) etc... that is why it is known as RIGHT hand drive and WRONG hand drive . Allegedly.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 PM

More than you ever wanted to know about driving on a particular side of the road:

Why do some countries drive on the right and others on the left ?

I still love how the Brits refer to the near and off sides of a car. Again, the right handed thing - for one example, it is easier for a right handed polo player to make a right side of the horse shot (thus a near side shot). In polo, you cannot change the hands in which you customarily hold your mallet.

Is this near and off sides expression fading?

He is hitting the horses "rear" side!