XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Access to the fuel pump/pumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Access to the fuel pump/pumps

Here you can see one way:

Jaguar World Monthly Forum - X308 fuel pump issues

My car needs secondary pump and both pumps will be changed next week, but most probably using a bit more traditonal way to do it

Attached Thumbnails Access to the fuel pump/pumps-fuel_tank_cutout-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
xj8 detroit (07-16-2018)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-99

My car needs secondary pump and both pumps will be changed next week, but most probably using a bit more traditonal way to do it
I've been thinking about this approach for quite a while ....I have an air operated 'nibbler' to open the back parcel shelf metal.
Sure beats the hell out grubbing around underneath getting a face full of petrol/gas and trying to undo those damn pipes ;o))

Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I am doing the exact thing on my xj8. Pump died after 6 months and my subwoofer is toast. Cost me 300 bucks after being stranded an hour away yesterday.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 AM

What pump are u going with?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by coastaljag98
What pump are u going with?
2xWalbro 255. I think for your XJ8 best choice is OEM pump. There are too many cheap "ebay pumps" on the market.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 PM

So u would go with the denso?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-99

There is nothing wrong with this approach. I've seen it done. If Coventry didn't design this car to maximize the profits on the "back end", there would be a "trap door" there, to ease the fuel pump replacement. There is nothing wrong in putting a "custom trap door" in that place. No structural changes, and once the shelf is back in place, nobody is any wiser.
I highly recommend this method.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 PM

It's what ima do!!

Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by coastaljag98
So u would go with the denso?
I agree...stay with the OEM pumps.
You may pay a little extra but it's worth it.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by danielsand
There is nothing wrong with this approach. I've seen it done. If Coventry didn't design this car to maximize the profits on the "back end", there would be a "trap door" there, to ease the fuel pump replacement. There is nothing wrong in putting a "custom trap door" in that place. No structural changes, and once the shelf is back in place, nobody is any wiser.
It may look a bit crude but it sure eases the stress of climbing around underneath....gettin' too old for that caper ;o]

You gotta remeber that Jaguar is not alone in this regard...most manufacturers follow the same route these days.
That tank is installed first while the car is swinging at head height, the assembly worker just reaches in and hooks up the tubes, then the driveline is 'married' to the chassis as an entire sub assemmbly....mere plebs like us don't enter the equation ;o]

Old 05-31-2013, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
If that is done where I live and some-one in authority was to see it the car is a structural write-off. The parcel shelf is considered here to be an integral support panel.They often check to see if extra speakers have been fitted and if there have been holes cut then it has to be repaired and an engineers report done.(very expensive and no guarantee it will pass)

Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Gippsland
If that is done where I live and some-one in authority was to see it the car is a structural write-off. The parcel shelf is considered here to be an integral support panel.They often check to see if extra speakers have been fitted and if there have been holes cut then it has to be repaired and an engineers report done.(very expensive and no guarantee it will pass)
Engineers report? Really? Jeeze!

Once you put it all back together, (properly) there is no way to tell that the work was done. The parcel shelf cover hides the work. So, unless you open your mouth..........or your neighbor rats you out to the Department of Parcel Shelf Alteration Department, (Vague Monty Python reference there, lol!) you will probably be OK.

You guys in Oz have a tough "Nanny State" there don't you?
Vector

Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Gippsland
Wow!

I've been to your beautiful country few times, but I never lived there, so I was never exposed to any bureaucracy. But this is nuts! And I thought "they" are taking our freedoms away from us, over here (which they are!).

Just goes to show you that the terms "country", and "government" are not one and the same (despite the government trying to convince you otherwise).

Too much is too much. They all need to be voted out, and some normal people put in. The problem,......normal people don't run for political offices.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:38 PM

We did ours and damn it's great way to replace a fuel pump. My hose came loose so it was fixed in a few min.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vector

Once you put it all back together, (properly) there is no way to tell that the work was done. The parcel shelf cover hides the work. So, unless you open your mouth..........or your neighbor rats you out to the Department of Parcel Shelf Alteration Department, (Vague Monty Python reference there, lol!) you will probably be OK.

Vector
Hahaha....Gippsland lives in the 'Nanny State'....it's called Victoria! ;o)=)
Now, little ol' me lives in the 'Swingin' State' Tasmania....just swingin' below Victoria and we don't have any such troubles.
If the job is done properly and panel is placed back in postion or a larger panel piece fabricated to fit which can be screwd back in place, there is no problem and no comprimising of veeehickle integrity ;o)

Old 06-01-2013, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector

Vector
We are known here as the Nanny State. It gets worse!
Buy a used car and want it Road Registered. 1st you MUST get a "Certificate" from a certified mechanic.
Easy? No, all wheels are removed and brakes,suspension,ball joints,any leaks,window tint,seat belts,any rust,alterations of any sort (parcel shelves are known to have aftermarket speakers) no marks on the windscreen,exhaust,everything is inspected,any defects are photographed and held on file. You have 7 days to present it with defects fixed.VIN and Engine numbers are referenced via computer data base. It is rare for a car to pass on first attempt.
My Jag with such a certificate from another state (other states certificates are not recognised here) failed all brakes,rear mufflers,ball joints,headling (slight bubbles) rear bushes,windscreen,mis matched tires (tyres,here) and other minor faults. You could take a new car to these guys and it would fail!

Last edited by Gippsland; 06-01-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

Just a note to those replacing these fuel pumps. The manual says to siphon the gas before removing the tank - no sure how this is done since there is a screen/cap at the bottom of the fill pipe inside the tank - well above the bottom of the tank, there's no clearance above the access flange and the vent lines are too small. I had the pleasant experience of removing the fuel lines from a 3/4 full tank - with only the loss of an ounce or two of gas. On the supply line the pump prevented any fuel flow out of the tank and on the return line there is a simple one way flap check valve that prevents gas from flowing out of the tank. I had the rear suspension carrier out so access to the pipe connections was not a problem. Just wanted to share my experience.

The following users liked this post:
plums (06-01-2013)