XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Accessory Drive Belt Fitting Incorrect?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Accessory Drive Belt Fitting Incorrect?

I have put new Idler and Tensioner pulleys on my engine after doing the timing chains etc. Both tensioner and idler were supplied David Manners and appear to be the correct equivialants. Indeed they both came in Jag Labeled packaging suggesting they are the proper parts.

Now I have a new belt supplied by British Parts. The part is some equivilant part to NCA2211AC.

This belt does not seem long enough ! I managed to get it on but the tensioner is some 3mm past the maximum mark ! The old belt fits ok and is between the max/min marks. However the old belt has looks of cracks in it and missing rib section in one area. So it needs replacing.

Is the new belt wrong ???

It is label BritiPart for Land Rover 7PK2322.

Also having measure the new pulleys wheels they are about 1mm larger than the old ones. Which won't help.

Is it the wrong belt or pulleys ?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Have you run the engine yet, it takes a new belt time to bed in. You may get a couple of mm back...

To compare 13 year old pulleys and belts with new isn't going to help your frustration I'd be happy and motor on. Both suppliers shouldn't steer you wrong - if you don't want to guess in future, contact your nearest Jaguar dealer parts desk and strike up a relationship, these consumables are now classicjaguarparts status so reduced price and from the horses mouth.

Genuine Jaguar Parts and Jaguar Accessories for Classic Jaguars

Compare your parts numbers with the x308 guide and see what it says. The issue is superceded part numbers - the dealer parts desk makes this clear when discussing.

Considering I did an S4 Audi the other day, the belt was short 12mm supplied by Audi, "oh well in that case you need the new tensioner pulley..." fitted that at £145 and still short....this on an 08 car! I bought a Gates belt locally to fit perfectly...

Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 AM

I did look up the parts first on at Jag Classic Parts. Belt, NCA2211AC is priced as "contact us". Having done this with other parts on the car I have been told it was'nt a classic and to check with my main dealer ! So no special help there.

I hav'nt run the car yet, waiting for the rain to abait before putting back the air intake and topping up the coolant.

The new belt is realy tight. There is no give left in the tensioner. The only way I could get it on was to run the belt half twisted past the idler so I could get it round the tensioner wheel. Once on the tensioner I slipped the belt up the side and onto the top of the idler wheel. This would'nt have been possible with the "lipped" idler !

I am tempted to put the knackered old belt on to test the engine and send new belt back to British Parts as NFG. Then I will try one from Manners. If that don't fit then it be something wrong with his parts as the pulleys and belt will have all been supplied by him.

Last edited by nurquhar; 11-01-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:02 AM

Got hold of British Parts and explained my problem. Apparently there are two belts available depending on which idlers and tensioners you have.

I gave them the tensioner part I had been supplied with, ie NCA7739AE and they say the belt should be NCA2211DA, not NCA2211AC !

Its a bit confuseing but it seems there has been an uprating of the specs at some point. This looks to be a change from plastic to metal wheels on the idler and tensioner. I checked my VIN on JEPC I my car should have the earlier plastic gear. When I ordered my parts from Manner I gave them my VIN but recieved the later tensioner NCA7739AE. However it seems the earlier tensioner NCA7739AC is no longer available which is why I presume they sent the later one along with the new idler C2C22758, which is still plastic. Manners should of warned me I needed a different belt !

So it seems these are the part numbers for two different sets. The later ones seem to have wheels about 1mm larger in diameter.

NOTE : None of this appies to S/C cars.

Early Parts - too VIN 878717
=====================
NCA2211AC Belt
NCA7739AC Tensioner Plastic wheel (Not available from British Parts or DM)
NCA2211AA Original Plastic Idler (Not available from British Parts or DM)

Later Parts - after VIN 878717
======================
NCA2211DA Belt
NCA7739AE Tensioner Metal wheel (which is still plastic)
C2C22758 Jag Plastic Idler, actualy labeled Ford Motor Co.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

You would have avoided all this by dealing with Jaguar direct. The uprated pulleys and belts are also available for S/C cars and their added idler/tensioner/belt combo for the supercharger.
Also, if the 308 isn't a classic, why is it listed on the JDHT site? and why is it added to the worldwide classicjaguarparts network? Who is your local Main Agent?

Dealing with aftermarket Jaguar parts suppliers is fraught with these types of errors, and for the pennies that might be saved, it's always best to contact the people who actually made the car first, even if it's to check part numbers and prices.

I will say it totally depends on who you speak to at the main agent's - I'm lucky to have dealt with the same guy for a long time at Jaguar Preston. He's never let me down. An example - I wanted a lock tab for the gearbox top, he backordered it and 3 months later sent it f.o.c - that's service.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 AM

My local Jag agent is Stratstone in Solihul. Some years ago before they moved sites the spares man was grey haired, helpful and knowledgable. Now it seems to be a different young man every time I go. They no how to use the computer to get prices and availbility is nearly always next day.