XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Achievement Unlocked

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 03:49 PM
Received 282 Likes on 212 Posts

Niiiiiiice. I like the blown highlights in the first pic, that's a technique I always enjoy. Last one is pretty awesome too, well done

Next on your shopping list should be a long-bristled soft detailing brush to get rid of the brake dust inside the lug nut recesses

The following users liked this post:
SOCONN13 (01-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 06:14 PM
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

So, things have been relatively stable since January. Relatively being the operative word, there. Had a minor hiccup where the dealer overfilled my oil. The shop gent said it was a “relatively minor” overfill, of two quarts. Was not very happy with that, and resolved not to return.

Then I parked in the garage, and noticed a small fluid spot on the floor in the morning. It was leaking right near the bell housing, so my first stop was a transmission Indy shop. They reported no leaks, and in fact said the fluid level and quality were not of any concern.

Still having a hard time locating an independent to service the remainder of the car, I returned to the dealer. They diagnosed a heater hose, as well as the power steering lines to the coolers at the front of the engine bay. Asking price to fix both was $3,400. 🤯

That really set me over (cue the “don’t buy these if you don’t self-wrench comments, but I don’t have a garage that would allow for servicing, and a lust for the X308 that knows no limits), so I spent a day calling shops. I found a reputable shop by way of recommendation, and they looked the car over today.

The “bad” news with the independent shop is they are much more thorough. They discovered my actual problem is the dreaded valley hoses. They also noticed my engine mounts are leaking. And that the upper radiator hose is swollen and ready to burst. They’re going to remove the supercharger, and do the above services, for the same price as the dealer offered for two hoses, without taking off the SC. Certainly not ideal, but I at least feel like I’m really getting to the meat of my concerns with this car - more to the point, these were inevitabilities, I’m just glad I don’t have to pay dealer pricing to address them.

I am hoping the shop will have me back for other items after doing this. Most people I call cite the SC and explain I need to find a sucker, someone who hasn’t had the displeasure before, to get a mechanic involved with this.

Anyhow, reading through it seems that I ought to do the knock sensors and change the SC oil whole it’s out. I could not locate a comprehensive list of what else to do while in the V. Not sure how much else I want to do anyhow; the knock sensors they’re quoting me are $620 for the parts, so it’s fully serious cost territory, already.

It’s car show season, so I’m hoping this will get me through the summer. I did get a chance last month to take her through Red Rocks for some photos. Here’s a favorite.

The following 2 users liked this post by SOCONN13:
eliotb (05-29-2024), Pepix (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 08:19 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Replace the part load breather tube while you’re under the supercharger. Not an option, a must.

SOCONN13 (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 11:49 PM
Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by SOCONN13
Not sure how much else I want to do anyhow; the knock sensors they’re quoting me are $620 for the parts, so it’s fully serious cost territory, already.
$620 sounds insane. I bought a 2003 XJ8 very cheap because it was in restricted performance. A $60 knock sensor fixed it. A reputable Indy shouldn’t have any issue with you supplying your own parts. If not, he’s marking up the part.

Old 05-28-2024, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by pcolapacker
$620 sounds insane. I bought a 2003 XJ8 very cheap because it was in restricted performance. A $60 knock sensor fixed it. A reputable Indy shouldn’t have any issue with you supplying your own parts. If not, he’s marking up the part.
I’ll give them a shout tomorrow and ask. OEMs on SNG would run $400, so there’s a markup, for sure.

Old 05-29-2024, 12:10 AM
Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

Rockauto

SOCONN13 (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 11:22 AM

Two updates:

1. I am replacing the part load breather. Thank you!

2. The shop was sourcing dealer parts. We’ve corrected that. Much appreciated as that’s going to save me a boatload, here.

Old 08-23-2024, 05:16 PM

Captain’s Log, Day 353: The beatings will continue until morale improves.

This car has absolutely put me through the wringer, the last three months. The Jag has been leaking fluids of every kind, all the time, in so many ways. I know everyone loves a car that has been maintained with an open checkbook, but the key is that it must be someone else’s.

I have always lusted after this car but I have never enjoyed the idea of being the person with a sedan you have to give a 120 point inspection to, before you can drive it. Starting off my mornings checking for leaks and topping off coolant wears quite thin, quite quickly.

But I am choosing to remain optimistic. If the only way out is through, I’m hoping to be very near the exit. Not sure if that exit is mine, the cars, or our shared troubles, but time will tell.

Somehow, in spite of this, I managed to get the legs picked up enough to hit a new PR of 120 (mph) in “Mexico” without so much as a gasp for air. And, formed a core memory of my automotive highlight reel - my wife and I did a mountain drive in early July (hers being *not* the Jag, below), up to 11,670’ elevation. It was about a four hour stint, from Denver, up the hill, and down again.

Traffic wasn’t a worry getting there - I managed to keep up just fine, and discovered that the audio is much better from a tape than the radio. Once we hit the turns, I had a true moment of enlightenment, winding through the pines: this might be one of the finest cars ever made. It is not the fastest, the sharpest, the lightest, or the loudest (though it is arguably one of the prettiest), but it is so uniquely itself. I am not sure if others have this experience with their X308’s, but I almost had a sensation that although this car was mass produced, it had been built precisely for me, many years ago, for fate to bring us here. I truly loved the car in that moment in a way I have never with anything else I’ve driven.

The steering was so finely balanced for a trip of that duration, the transmission put up no argument to the constant pitching up and down, even the brakes composed themselves fairly.

And the engine. This is where I sympathize with Jag and this car in particular because the engine is so much better than its reputation would have you believe. So, so much better. And not unreliable, despite my car having spent half of my ownership at the mechanic. But that’s part swapping and some of the parts are every bit of 25 years old. Hard to blame them for that.

The power delivery was seemingly endless, thought not overly enthusiastic. The same depth and delivery of talent as a cabinetmaker with thirty years of experience. It will get the job done, beautifully, every time. And it did. Windows down and a Don Henley cassette I found at a “vintage” store humming through the Harmon Kardons, I forgot every single tribulation this thing had put me through, and every dollar it drained, and was truly, momentarily, in heaven.

Interrupted then only by a coolant level warning. Much to my satisfaction, from the BMW. The Jag and I sauntered home, for at least that small moment in time, fully finally understanding one another. I hope to do that more, because that is the only reason I think so many of these have been kept so well. Cheers.

Addicted2boost (08-23-2024)