XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Adding an iPhone 6S to my 2003 XJ8 system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Adding an iPhone 6S to my 2003 XJ8 system?

I am sure that I'm repeating this question on this forum, but I have done a search and am confused on what the potential answer/procedure is. So please forgive my ignorance or inability to pull the right info from previous answers.

I'm looking to add my iPhone 6S into the audio system of my 2003 XJ8. I'm most interested in using the phone through the audio system for hands-free convenience and safety. While it would be nice to be able to stream music from the iPhone, it looks that this will be a much tougher job and involves cutting into the harness. (Yikes! ) Music would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

I'd appreciate some advice, instruction and product recommendations from anyone that has done this project in the past. (or links to clear past postings).

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-26-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi LeLimoMan,

When i purchased my Daimler, I wanted to leave the car as original as it is, so I bought and installed the Parrot MK9200. I do radio/music streaming and all the handsfree for the phone. it is discreet. The only downside is that you will not use the phone buttons on your steering wheel (i assume the phone system doesn't work with todays tech).

http://parrotcontact.parrot.com/webs...ts/mki9200.png

Old 07-26-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Likewise, even a simple 40 dollar Bluetooth-FM Transmitter will do in a pinch. I have a Scosche one from Wal-Mart that was about that much, plugs into the lighter, you set the frequency, and then everything can stream through the radio. Because it uses the FM, it's not the best audio quality but is still quite decent, plus has a built in microphone so you can use it for hands free calling.

https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-BTFM-.../dp/B017NI1QQI

Another option would be like the Jabra Freeway, same concept only it clips to the visor and uses a rechargeable battery to operate instead of plugging in directly. A bit more expensive, same concept. I used their original Cruiser model for years until it finally died, then went to the Scosche.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Freeway...h+speakerphone

Old 08-23-2016, 03:24 AM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

There's an alpine or pioneer CarPlay enabled double din that's thin enough for you to install...another member just did it recently

Originally Posted by LeLimoMan
I am sure that I'm repeating this question on this forum, but I have done a search and am confused on what the potential answer/procedure is. So please forgive my ignorance or inability to pull the right info from previous answers.

I'm looking to add my iPhone 6S into the audio system of my 2003 XJ8. I'm most interested in using the phone through the audio system for hands-free convenience and safety. While it would be nice to be able to stream music from the iPhone, it looks that this will be a much tougher job and involves cutting into the harness. (Yikes! ) Music would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

I'd appreciate some advice, instruction and product recommendations from anyone that has done this project in the past. (or links to clear past postings).

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-23-2016, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by DimitrisBXL
Hi LeLimoMan,

When i purchased my Daimler, I wanted to leave the car as original as it is, so I bought and installed the Parrot MK9200.
+1 on the Parrot.
I bought the MK9000 without screen, and it is absolute invisible.
I keep the setting module in the upper sun glass holder, but after setting and adjusting one time, you actually never need it any more, all operation is from your phone.
Its got a separate double microphone for installation at roof or sun visor.

I stream music from my phone, and you can use your phone with voice dialing if you are a frequent user.
All volume buttons work, but, just as Dimitri mentioned, the car phone buttons don't.

Installation of the main box is under the center arm rest (but not in the storage, so you don't loose space).
If you don't want to cut the harness, just connect it to the phone plug which is located there.
You got sound over all speakers, the only downside is that it is mono.

Cutting into the CD harness to get Stereo is simple if you have the standard headset, only a bit more complicated if you have the amplifier.
I have a standard set, and digged the wires from under the rear seats, no need to go all the way to the CD player.

There is a Motorola alternative for the Parrot, perhaps some others.

Attached Thumbnails Adding an iPhone 6S to my 2003 XJ8 system?-mki9000_lrg.jpg