XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Adding a trunk-net - anyone do this? Is there an official XJ8 net?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts
Cool Adding a trunk-net - anyone do this? Is there an official XJ8 net?

Was there a trunk-net option for the XJ and somewhere for me to get the net and mounting hardware?

If not, I have an old net from a previous car that would like to retrofit somehow/somewhere in the trunk. Anyone else attempt this?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
Was there a trunk-net option for the XJ and somewhere for me to get the net and mounting hardware?

If not, I have an old net from a previous car that would like to retrofit somehow/somewhere in the trunk. Anyone else attempt this?
there was plenty of acessories, for the trunk net:

OEM Catalog Item Numbe rMSRP Core Price Price C2S4483 $48.25 $0.00 $38.12
NET-TRUNK

The net go across the front of the trunk and attach with 2 hooks ( 1 on each taillight mounting stud)

Last edited by luc; 02-27-2011 at 10:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vdpnyc (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Cool, any idea where to order that?

Also, are the taillight mounting studs already in place (never noticed them there?!) or do they come with the net?

Old 02-27-2011, 02:05 PM
luc

Cool, any idea where to order that?

Also, are the taillight mounting studs already in place (never noticed them there?!) or do they come with the net?
http://www.jaguarmerriamparts.com/pa...?siteid=215718

Each taillight has 3 studs that go through the body and 3 10mm nuts. You have to remove the black plastic trim on the back of each taillight to see them and mount the net.
The net should come with 2 brackets, 1 for each side that go on the top stud on each side. just remove the 10mm nut, put the bracket and the nuts back on

vdpnyc (02-27-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

Okay, I located the three studs but cannot find the part on jaguarmerriamparts.com

Also, the studs are under the plastic cover, so how does that work? And the "studs" are actually just thin screws, won't they break if you put something heavy in the net and hit the brakes?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
luc

Okay, I located the three studs but cannot find the part on jaguarmerriamparts.com

Also, the studs are under the plastic cover, so how does that work? And the "studs" are actually just thin screws, won't they break if you put something heavy in the net and hit the brakes?
You have to input the part #, that's why I gave it to you.

The brackets are shaped is such a way that the "hook" part of it is outside of the plastic cover.

Not if you use the net within it's design parameters, obviously if you put 200# of gold bars in it, you could have a problem

Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

free shipping if u call Dan@ Nalley Jaguar parts, also a forum sponsor!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks all, but I realize now that OEM is an upright-net - seeking a lay-flat style

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d.php?p=317432

Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default resurrecting the dead!

Hello everybody.

I did a lot of searching and I cannot find an answer to my question.

This thread comes the closest.

My 2001 XJR came with three trunk nets and an additional string attachment that attaches to the inner trunk lid.

I can't figure out how to use the part that attaches to the trunk lid. It is a black cord, with two hooks on each end. It forms an "H" with a short section of cord in the center, with a black flap that reads JAGUAR in green stitching. The center of the H section slides up and down both cords that have the hook.

Other than the above mentioned H string with hooks, I have figured out the nets.

I have two of the flat square type that attach to the four corners of the trunk floor.

Also have the type that hangs at the entry of the trunk, that is like a hammock.

I am guessing that maybe I have two of the square nets is that one of them can hook to that H hooked thingy.

Thanks for your help!

Stewart

p.s. I also read all of my literature that came with the car, and I have all of them.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Default a picture is worth a thousand words...

Okay.

To keep my query in line with the original post, I am adding a photo of cargo net options.

Shown is my trunk.

It shows both the floor mount cargo net and the hanging cargo net in the foreground.

So, just how the heck do I use the cord & hook "H" thingy that is hanging from the back of trunk lid?

I have a third net, that is exactly like the floor mount net. Does my extra net work with this?

Thanks for your help!

Stewart

Attached Thumbnails Adding a trunk-net - anyone do this? Is there an official XJ8 net?-9rwrsky.jpg  
Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Default Anybody know the answer?

to how to use that rope thingy attached to my trunk lid?

Anyone?

Old 09-16-2013, 05:51 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum XJR
to how to use that rope thingy attached to my trunk lid?

Anyone?
The PO has certainly been an accessory freak. It's normal to have the one on the luggage compartment floor or the net at the rear but not both.

Hook the inner edge of the net on the two hooks to form a basket.

Adding a trunk-net - anyone do this? Is there an official XJ8 net?-cargo-net.jpg

Useless accessory. I had one on my X300, X308 and previous XK8. After a couple of weeks the net was taken out and left on the garage shelf until the car came to be sold!

Graham

Platinum XJR (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
The PO has certainly been an accessory freak. It's normal to have the one on the luggage compartment floor or the net at the rear but not both.

Hook the inner edge of the net on the two hooks to form a basket.

Attachment 54933

Useless accessory. I had one on my X300, X308 and previous XK8. After a couple of weeks the net was taken out and left on the garage shelf until the car came to be sold!

Graham

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I have a lot of cargo hold down nets!

I appreciate the info!

I could not find out ANYWHERE how to use that thing!

Stewart

Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Default Thanks Graham!

Attached Thumbnails Adding a trunk-net - anyone do this? Is there an official XJ8 net?-z9emwih.jpg  
Old 09-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

BOOT/TRUNK fixing points:

I made my own fixings to use elasticated (bungy) cord to hold down items in my boot (UK)/trunk(US).

You can make fixings virtually anywhere on the removable floor panels.

For example: fixing required in a corner - drill 2 small holes about 10mm apart near the corner. You are drilling through plastic covered in material. Use a plastic tie cord threaded through both holes to tie off a keyring split ring, with the end of the tie underneath the floor for neatness.

TIP: don't tighten the tie cord completely as the ring will stand up. If it has some play, it will lie down when not in use and so will not be in the way of other things put over it, and change direction as required for multiple fixings.

The ring allows a hook on the end of your elasticated cord to affix and stretch to another ring elsewhere. Black/dark grey plastic tie cords will be almost invisible, although the rings won't.

You can fix any number of rings all over the place giving you complete control over how regularly carried items can be fixed. I carry a plastic box with emergency kit and a bicycle pump and this system stops anything banging around.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

I too am looking into a trunk net.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

If you use the hook part of self adhesive hook and loop (Velcro) to whatever you carry regularly, it sticks surprisingly well to the carpet.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
If you use the hook part of self adhesive hook and loop (Velcro) to whatever you carry regularly, it sticks surprisingly well to the carpet.
But it will tear up your carpet, not advised.
When I bought my car, the additional DVD player was installed with Velcro, and it took me quite a bit of work of combing and shaving to get that place back in shape.

I just installed a trunk net for my wife's SLK.
Just bought a universal one, larger than needed.
With some ingenuity, made a fixed hook in each of the four corners using the cars equipment, then cut the net, and shortened the elastic to fit.

Costs for a universal net; hardly nothing, plus an hour of work.

I am sure on The Jaguar there are possibilities for a permanent fix in each corner too.

E.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Deleted - double post!
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 03-15-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:54 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

I bought a few of these to hold small stuff: Detail spray, window cleaner and some microfiber cloths.

They are held by velcro, but OK if you leave them in place and don't R&R too often.

1pc Universal Car Seat Back Storage Mesh Net Bag Cargo Trunk Nets 38cm x 25cm | eBay
Vector

Quick Reply: Adding a trunk-net - anyone do this? Is there an official XJ8 net?