XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Advice please - Spare Parts 98 XJ Sport - Brisbane Qld

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Advice please - Spare Parts 98 XJ Sport - Brisbane Qld

Hi,

Just needing some advice. I am looking at getting some parts for my 98 XJ Sport if possible and want to know the best way to get my hands on things. I am seeking general advice in case I need to find parts. I am in Brisbane Qld. However at the moment I am looking for a CENTER FACIA A/C VENT IN DASH the whole unit - don't need the clock (the clips behind it are broken where it connects with the dash); outer and inner console "caps" that fit over the top of the gear stick (again the clips are broken), rear airconditioning vent panel (all of these items are black with the surrounding bit of the centre facia a weird greeny brown/black colour) and radio/stereo. Nothing is urgent as it is still all in place but given the cracks and broken clips etc - I would like to replace them in time. I saw there was a Jag Spares place in Esk but looks like they currently don't have any Jag spares in stock according to the website.

Thanks in advance. Thanks again to those that gave advice on my past stereo issue. In the end I got the FM repaired in the original stereo but now the LCD face panel has bled a little so looking to find a spare original radio/stereo so my car sound people can butcher it for parts. I also got a navman hooked up and a Parrot MKi9200 with clips one on the dash and one on the console so it all looks great and fits nicely and I still keep the original stereo in situ. Also one last question - I am thinking of getting a sports exhaust system on it to make it sound like it has a bit of grunt - do they sound good with a nice exhaust system on them? If I am going to have a V8 my thought was I should at least be able to hear it. Thoughts?

Thanks again. This is a great resource.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Hi Shane:
Sounds like you've got a list of projects! I can't help you with much except to say regarding the availability of parts that pretty much anything these days can be shipped from anywhere in the world it seems. I'm currently waiting on a part that was cheapest to order from the Middle East rather than the US where I'm located!

About the exhaust, even audio beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer to hear nothing at all in my car except my own thoughts and the harmonic strains of Vivaldi. To me, a noisy XJ8 is just that. Since you asked…

Cheers,
Scott

Old 05-18-2014, 05:52 AM

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much mate for your reply. Yes a small list of projects. All are not vital and to the casual eyes you wouldn't know that there were clips broken etc (just like my untrained eye when I bought the old girl a few weeks ago lol) and I could just leave them all as they are but I want a you beaut classic vehicle with everything spot on so over time I will try to find these bits and pieces. So where in the Middle East are you getting your parts - a wrecker?

Thanks for the advice about the exhaust. I sort of agree however I use the Jag as a marketing tool for my business and therefore want people to notice the car (I have the one way printed sign on the back window) and hence a nice exhaust would make people notice the car even better. Plus I thought it would go nicely with the big mags and low profile tyres on it and the dark tinted windows and 098JAG number plates. But thanks for the comment and the advice about the parts.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:04 AM

Hey Scott - by the way I am a rabid Packer fan - lol I check out the Green Bay Press Gazette and the JSOnline every day a few times a day to check out what is going on. I know the rookies are in rookie camp this weekend after the draft and they might sign Colt Lylera who is on a try out as a Tight End. that might be a great signing to replace Finley. Apologies if you are not a Packers fan or an NFL fan.

The following users liked this post:
MidwestJag (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,
I live in Townsville, I have 98 XJ8 and a 98 XJR
I deal with Prestige in Melbourne, for the sort of stuff you are looking for, as with any Jag stuff in Australia - very expensive
Jaguar Spare Parts Supplier - Jag Prestige Spares- H/H Prestige Spares - Australia's Largest Independant - Used Land Rover Discovery Spare Parts
Be very careful with your exhaust, I spent about $4,000 on high flow cats and a quicksilver exhaust, it droned so bad I had to have resonators fitted, still not right. I would take the car to a local exhaust shop and tell them what you want
I put a 2 bay pioneer DVD and navigator in the dash, looks good but a lot of work see attached pic.

Attached Thumbnails Advice please - Spare Parts 98 XJ Sport - Brisbane Qld-nearly-finished.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MidwestJag (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Shane:
Green Bay, huh? I guess the level of my surprise will be mitigated by which of the Cashmeres you are writing from - New Zealand, Australia (as dc4pres suspects), or Washington State! In any event, it's hard not to be a Packer Backer living in Wisconsin - although I am by far one of the 'lesser' fans. My wife, however, grew up a mile from Lambeau Field. Ironically, they lived SO close, her dad much preferred opening the window to hear the fan noise, but actually watching the game from the comfort of the recliner in his den!

Small world.

Best of luck. I think you're right about the exhaust - great way to draw attention to the car for business. Cheers!
Scott
Ps- I'm not sure about the mid East supplier. they're an Ebay vendor...

Old 05-19-2014, 03:53 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Hello Shane,

The parts you are seeking pop up on the UK Ebay site regularly (probably far cheaper than US or Australian Ebay). Only problem is the shipping costs, although (with regards the centre vent, which is quite light) it shouldn't cost a fortune. I'm currently selling some parts from a 2001 XJR which had the dark wood (I think it's called Birds Eye Maple). I've got the rear vent,with dark wood and an unused lighter socket (no lighter though) - that's priced at £30 GBP plus postage. I also have the dash centre air vent assembly (not advertised at present (again with dark wood) - I was going to put that on Ebay at £25 GBP.
If you are interested, I could check out the shipping cost and let you know ??

Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 AM

Thanks all - Captain Q - would they fit a 98 XJ Sport - sorry but I really am a car novice and an even more novice with Jag's? Can you take a pic of the colour so I can see if it is what I am looking for?

Old 05-19-2014, 05:52 AM

Hi DC4PREZ,

Thanks for the advice re the exhaust. I don't want it to sound droney if possible. I will check out that website - thanks.

Your navigator looks great. I will take a pic of mine on the weekend but I kept the original stereo and mounted the navman to the left of the steering wheel on the dash and then the Parrot on the left of the centre console so I can see it etc.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:54 AM

Hi MidWest - I am Cashmere Qld Australia but yes a mad Packers fan. I would love to visit Lambeau one day.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Hello again Shane,

If you go onto the UK Ebay site and insert item No 171334529307 you'll see the rear vent/lighter unit. The wood on same is dark grey/black. If your wood is OK it's easy to remove same from vent unit (just a couple of small metal circular clips that push on) so you could always remove and replace. If your car doesn't have a rear lighter (most didn't) you'll find that the wiring is already in place and simply needs to be plugged onto the lighter assembly - useful for things like phone chargers etc.

Regards - Keith