XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Air Intake breaking apart

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Air Intake breaking apart

I started to change the air filter today and the rear resonator broke off, just crumbled apart, So I unbolted the whole tube assembly and found that the tube has split at the flexible section.
I took it to the autoparts store and found a flexible hose from Spectre.
It's a temporary fix until I find a Jaguar replacement.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Has anyone found a cold air style replacement?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger77
I started to change the air filter today and the rear resonator broke off, just crumbled apart, So I unbolted the whole tube assembly and found that the tube has split at the flexible section.
I took it to the autoparts store and found a flexible hose from Spectre.
It's a temporary fix until I find a Jaguar replacement.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Has anyone found a cold air style replacement?
Hey Roger....happens to all of us with age....cracking at the wrinkly bits
Age and heat hardening.
An easy and relatively cheap replaement.
There are several 'Cold Air' units on the market and nonme of them really make much of a difference on the road unless you are really 'hard charging' or track days.
They are definately a lot noisier and not for the better....gets to be a PIA after a while.....I reverted to the original air box and replaced the paper filter with a flat K&N
And honestly, there is really no perceptable difference in performance over the cold air unit.....most definately quieter and I can live with that ;o))

Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

If you look around you will see pictures of people who have used Spectre or similar hose, with or without hardpipe, as the replacement between the stock front and rear ends as an "upgrade". So, you have just done an "upgrade".

Any air intake location that takes in air from within the engine compartment is *not* a cold air intake. More like a hot air intake.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM

I have another toy that has aftermarket parts (Mustang) including a "cold air intake" it's not the direction I will go with the XJR, I want to keep it stock.

I've just got to source a new intake pipe.

Just for the record and I'm sure a lot of people will try to call BS on this,
when the car was new I had access to a dyno. We took off the air box top and installed a K&N cone filter and with an open hood did a run, we saw a 15hp improvement.
Out of curiosity we took the air cleaner off and did another run. We saw a 35hp increase, thinking we had a bad reading, we did it again and it repeated 35hp.
The people doing the dyno run work on Mustangs and are very reputable, they were not surprised, and commented that a blown car will benefit from removing any restriction in the inlet tract.
Now this was 12 years ago and I can't find the dyno print outs, but if I can find them I'll post copies.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Clean well, wrap with duct tape over the entire bellows section, then black electrical tape to hide the "engineering" and be done. Ive done that for cheap owners and theyve lasted for years........Or buy a new one for $90

Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

This is a trip! I rigged this up last night! I was putting in my iridium NGKs last night and I decided the intake tube cracks have gotten so bad, I had to do something about it. I also found the resonator on the rear, right by the bend was leaking. My first instinct was duct tape then electrical tape for appearances. Then I started measuring things. I put a gatorade bottle cap in the hole where the resonator was and screwed it to the plastic in case it decided to get sucked into the tube and hang open the throttle. Then I siliconed all around that. On the convoluted "flex" part, I cut out the flexible part completely with a cutoff wheel. I then cut a short piece of 3" exhaust pipe to put in place of it. I had to "stretch" the plastic much more than I had anticipated, but it holds well with no clamps. I did silicone the seams just for fun. After this I sprayed the pipe down with some black spray paint and watched all the fisheyes appear, lol. Thats what I get for not cleaning the pipe first. Oh well, I havent heard any detonation yet since I did this.

I am not surprised at all about there being intake tube gains on a blown car. NA though, you should expect practically nothing except maybe a change in intake sound.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:36 PM

Hi Brutal, do you have a part number for the intake, if it's $90 I'm on it.