XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

AJ26 engine is not starting..plz help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AJ26 engine is not starting..plz help!!

hello guys

I have bought a XJR(308) jaguar in uk. and i took the engine out of the car and ship it back to Bangladesh. the guy kept all the electrical part in one box. Unfortunately i lost that box in airport while shipping it by air.

Now i manage to get the Engine control module transmission control module. i went through all electrical diagram from this forum. i did all the wiring wit engine control module and tried to start the engine on the floor.

Now the engine starts with additional fuel..but there is no pulse through injector. Someone told me its the "security acknowledgement" line is missing. i ordered key transponder, a key, lock control module, key coil ring from same car.

I couldn't get much details on security system in electrical diagram. there r only 4 line shown on electrical diagram of key transponder..my question is how and where i connect coil key transpo
(the round thing to read key chip)? So guys PLZ help me out.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

I cannot answer your question but I can certainly feel your pain.

I have exactly the same issue on an engine swap using a '00 Ford Explorer and associated electronics. I have all the Ford schematics associated with the PCM, the PATS module (Ford's description) and the key transponder. While they will probably not translate down to wire code I would bet that the concept is very, very similar.

If you want the Ford version of the schematics sent a PM with your off forum email address and I will forward them to you.

The following users liked this post:
bayezid_f1 (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:39 PM

thank you for your quick response.

Here is a pic of security modules for jaguar xjr i bought it from ebay . they said i dont need to program anything. all i need to connect them properly then i can start the engine.

here is a pic of security wiring diagram i found it from JTIS 21. it shows only couple of connection! body processor is also connected to transponder. now i was wondering do i need the body processor also to start the engine?

Attached Thumbnails AJ26 engine is not starting..plz help!!-security.jpg   AJ26 engine is not starting..plz help!!-security-2.jpg   AJ26 engine is not starting..plz help!!-f22.jpg  
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

The Jaguar uses a CAN token (LAN) system to communicate between the ECU and all the intelligent modules in the car. I suspect that you are going to have to get a functional CANetwork before anything is going to work and the Body Processor Module seems to be an important part of that network.

I only make the assumption that the XJR security system is similar in concept to Ford's PATS unencumbered by any knowledge or information.

PATS was used from '98 through '05 in a number of Ford Products. It consists of a key read by a sensor with a collar around the ignition lock barrel, a programmable PATS Module (located behind the glove box) and the Power Train Control Module with its own set of programming. The PATS Module and the PCM had to be jointly programmed to communicate. In a couple configurations it disabled the ignition, fuel pump and/or the fuel injectors.

Here is a link to a thread on an Explorer Forum with lots of information on the PATSystem:

Everything you wanted to know about PATS. - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Here is a link to my personal trials on this subject:

Pats - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Here is a link to posted electrical schematics:

Volvo's That Run Attachments - Turbobricks Forums

On the Ford the Key Sensor communicates with the PATS Module with two signal leads. The PATS module communicates with the PCM on the OBDII data link.

Hopefully, you will have some success and I would appreciate some feed back to assist in solving my continuing problem. Please let us know how it goes.

Last edited by test point; 06-22-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Let start with the basics, does it crank?. If it don't crack, do the lights on the dash come on?

If it is cranks, then the problem is not with the security system. The security system wouldn't permit it to crank at all.

If you turn the key and nothing happens, no lights, horn don't beep, or radio don't come on, check the car battery.

If you turn the key and the lights come on but do not crank, make sure the starter is connected and working properly. With my XJR, I have to play with the ingition switch on hot days to get it started.

You didn't need the ECM or keys from the other car, if you just swapping the engine. Your electronics would have worked just fine, if it was working properly with the old engine. Just put back in your old electronics and see what happens.

Back to cranking but not starting, you need the following Air, Fuel, and Spark. Check to make sure you getting spark and fuel. Press the fuel cut off switch under the dash, just incase it was trigger. Check fuel pressure is at the correct PSI, make sure the throttle body is clean and the butterfly is not stuck.

Make sure all the ground cables are connected.

There are allot of stuff that can be overlooked when doing a engine swap, my first engine swap, I didn't connect a ground cable on the firewall that created a no start, took me 4 days to find it.

Edit:

Just re-read your post, you trying to floor start the engine, why? If you know the engine is good, just install it. lol.

Last edited by sbreeden; 06-22-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

You are correct and I did not notice that there was no mention of the vehicle that the engine was destined for.

That would be valuable information.

Starting on a pallet is a lot different from installing in a comparable vehicle.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by test point

Hopefully, you will have some success and I would appreciate some feed back to assist in solving my continuing problem. Please let us know how it goes.
Sure it was helpful..but still didnt get any wiring diagram for particular module.

Originally Posted by sbreeden
Let start with the basics, does it crank?. If it don't crack, do the lights on the dash come on?

YES it does crank and even the engine start if u throw fuel through throttle body. i checked injectors..no injector is injecting fuel into combustion chamber!!

You didn't need the ECM or keys from the other car, if you just swapping the engine. Your electronics would have worked just fine, if it was working properly with the old engine. Just put back in your old electronics and see what happens.

I am trying to start the engine on the floor car i want to install this engine inside a jaguar MKII. The engine was fine took out from a car back in uk and ship it here.. i need to make sure i can start the engine before i do lot of chassis modification in a classic car

Back to cranking but not starting, you need the following Air, Fuel, and Spark. Check to make sure you getting spark and fuel. Press the fuel cut off switch under the dash, just incase it was trigger. Check fuel pressure is at the correct PSI, make sure the throttle body is clean and the butterfly is not stuck.

Make sure all the ground cables are connected.

Air,fuel,spark plug is fine...now what this is fuel cut switch?? can you give me more details about it...not sure what exact pressure i need for this engine...can u give me details..i would really appreciate your help

There are allot of stuff that can be overlooked when doing a engine swap, my first engine swap, I didn't connect a ground cable on the firewall that created a no start, took me 4 days to find it.

Edit:

Just re-read your post, you trying to floor start the engine, why? If you know the engine is good, just install it. lol.
this is the car....

this is the engine

and here the engine starts

Last edited by bayezid_f1; 06-23-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

There is not any documentation that I am aware of on swapping this engine and electronics into another vehicle. In fact, the engine swaps between early AJ26 and later engines is significantly complicated by the wiring harness compatibility. There have been discussions on the issue of even having to swap the door modules so the Body Module would work so that the ECU would work.

I would suggest that you are going to have to establish a functional CANetwork. Who knows how fully functional that will have to be.

Note the amount of time and communications devoted to trying to swap a Ford engine with the assistance of many very knowledgeable folks on several forums. And it still doesn't work.

I will dig out the schematics on the key collar and PATS Module if you want but I do not think it is going to help you at all.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

haha! Test Point has nailed it. A 'CAN Network' needs to be established before the engine and gearbox behave the way you want it.

You should have posted what you are trying to do before you started the job to be fair.

Beacham see these people...
http://www.beacham-jaguar.co.nz/MARQ...ACHAM+MK2.html

They had to transfer all of the modules from an XJR V8 into their MKII before it would work correctly.

You have a big job and a long list including the looms that inter-connect each component.
For example all the door modules and body control module need to be connected to the engine control module, the car needs to know when to lock the doors when it drives off, also security issues on the CAN network need to be confirmed before the car will start.

You do not need to connect the window lift switches, speakers, window motor or quadrants, but the lock microswitches and modules.

I think things like the speedo cluster will be required, along with the abs pump too - you see how big a job this really is. It will take a bit of time to strip the MKII and place the XJR looms and modules in new homes but it has been done, although expensive.

You need all modules listed on the VCATS list found in the boot of the donor XJR, and of course all the looms, including boot, cabin engine and link leads to ABS, front lights etc.

All radiators are required from the XJR too. If you plan on running air conditioning then that system is required.

Thinking about it, it would be ideal to have the XJR and the MKII stripped and sat next to each other, then it would be super easy for me. I've rebuilt both to show condition..I would use an AJ27 system though.

By the way, the red car is an S Type, not a MKII!

Good luck!

Last edited by Sean B; 06-23-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh, I didn't realize you was installing it in a totally different model. Once you get it working that going to be a sexy ride.

I truly wish you get it figured out.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:31 PM

well i believe a can bus system just a messaging system. a can bus system can make an interruption. usually it send the ecu to safe mood but it never determind any decision. I hope i just need to connect the security system then i can fire it up.

So can anyone help me to get a wiring diagram for xjr security system?

there is a pin in ecu...OK to Start. i hope this is the last thing i do need to fire the engine.

i already read all the codes.. it had fuel pump relay error code..which one is already sorted and throttle motor code! i cudnt find any more code through can system! so if i connect all these module they will generate codes..(not sure jst believe it)

Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

A JTIS download is available in the Sticky above. It has the full vehicle wiring diagrams for all models, all years but nothing on the internal module schematics.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You asked about the "fuel cut off switch". This is also referred to as an "inertia switch". The purpose of this switch is to stop fuel flow in the event of an accident. In the car this switch is located under the kick panel (IIRC: xj40 left hand side; x308 right hand side). Although you have removed the engine from the car, it makes sense that the ECU would still need a signal from this switch to allow fuel flow. I don't have the schematics to tell you exactly how the switch communicates with the rest of the car (directly to fuel pump, ECU, or some other module), but I'll bet someone on here knows.

bayezid_f1 (06-26-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

You can also find the schematics here Jaguar electrical reference

I don't think you will find details of the security system anywhere.

bayezid_f1 (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrlovt
You asked about the "fuel cut off switch". This is also referred to as an "inertia switch". The purpose of this switch is to stop fuel flow in the event of an accident. In the car this switch is located under the kick panel (IIRC: xj40 left hand side; x308 right hand side). Although you have removed the engine from the car, it makes sense that the ECU would still need a signal from this switch to allow fuel flow. I don't have the schematics to tell you exactly how the switch communicates with the rest of the car (directly to fuel pump, ECU, or some other module), but I'll bet someone on here knows.
thanx a lot i have found it from wiring diagram. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Norri
You can also find the schematics here Jaguar electrical reference

I don't think you will find details of the security system anywhere.
thank you for your kind help. I already been through all the the electrical diagram but..there is no details about security system.

can anyone help me wit key transponder pin out?

where do i connect 2 wire from lock cylinder (transceiver/reader/exciter)