XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

AJV8 super or N/A in awkward applications

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021 | 10:10 PM
|
Question AJV8 super or N/A in awkward applications

So I've decided to take my N/A to a track day(and a dragstrip the week before) ; and while thinking of that I thought about how great a GT the X100(rode along in a friends recently) is and how awesome the X308's are. This made me think about why Jag never entered it in any motorsport(considering how financially troubled jag was after developing the xj220 its not really a question anymore). So I was thinking of taking a block off ebay and building a formula ford with it. Of course the intent is not to go racing (pretty certain the N/A is too heavy and too powerful to fit in the class), but to build an experimental car. Formula fords/Vee's being RMR layouts would present some challenge, but mostly I'm worried about chassis rigidity (not sure it would happen, but its possible the aj28 would develop too much torque for the chassis to handle). Another present challenge would be the elephant in the room of making the AJV8 a stressed member of the chassis; doable but how? The fuel cell would have to be made or borrowed from something significantly smaller, there would obviously be a need for a dry sump system with external pump as the engine would need to survive high g turns for the duration of any given session(20-40mins at a time). The chassis would need significant reinforcement and modification(luckily theses little buggers are pretty simple to work on) .Additionally the AJV8 would have to be tuned to play nice with an aftermarket ECU and manual trans(if I can find it something from aisin/modern-day ZF would be problem solved). I also considered buying a downed x308(bad engine) and swapping an p2 generation V70r's B5254 ;but that idea died with the x308's waist line(1800kg is a lot of weight to be moving around). What do you guys think, viable formula experiment or horrible horrible waste of a good engine and chassis? There are a few viable formula fords available , and from what I've seen of my own X308's engine (b roads only though )this thing has a lot of life to give in a light chassis. On the subject of aero since I have absolutely no intention of ever using the FF to compete in its class (this thing is for the fun, played gt6 the x2013 was incredible;and very dangerous)I'm open to the idea of developing an aero/fan car package. I have a 3d printer at the ready , and will try to build a micro-wind tunnel; wish me luck. I'll do all of the aero testing before purchasing a chassis.

Old 04-08-2021 | 02:27 PM

I have nothing to offer this thread, but it sounds like a fun project.

Old 04-08-2021 | 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

How about an ITB AJ27 engine in like an 02’ Camaro since seemingly everything has an LS engine swap. I know there’s an ITB AJ27 in an XK8 I believe over in Europe. It was in one of the Jag magazines some years back.

Old 04-08-2021 | 08:12 PM
|

@Addicted2boost I like the way you think, but I don't wanna be beholden to road car rules(or rules in general, thats the entire reason I'm considering a formula ford chassis).