It all Started with wiring in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It all Started with wiring in trunk

Item:
1998 Jaguar, Vanden Plas
Vin # SAJKX6242WC823920

Problem. Started when there where wires broken on the right side truck harness. Two wires (yellow & red) went to the truck lights which have never worked. One purple and black and the other two are black. I connected them all up. The truck lights worked. But then the solenoid to the truck did not. Push the truck button and nothing. Push the truck release on the dash and nothing, Only way was with the key. Even the remote would not open it. I disconnected the two yellow and red wires and the truck worked the way it should, remote and all truck release buttons worked. But no more truck light. Don’t care.

I went the next day to drive the car. However I could not get the car out of gear. The shifter will not work. And the steering wheel adjustment goes crazy moving up and down as well as the driver door mirror. I heard clicking coming from the body processor modular, when I went to open the glove box the click stopped and the steering wheel stand in one place. But I could not adjust the steering wheel not the mirror. Close the glove box and the things went crazy. So now using the emergency release to move the shifter into gear and driving with the glove box open.

Day Three. I pull the glove box and the body processor modular. Nothing visible and did not think there would be. So I re-installed it and disconnected the battery to reset the computers. No different. Came back a few hours later started the car and held the glove box button in the steering wheel moved once and the mirror stayed in place. Still cannot adjust either one and car still will not go into gear.

My next move was to buy a body processor modular and a drive door modular. Only problem is I need to know what the body processor modular controls. Would this modular keep the car from not shifting into gear? Or should I look at the brake switch. Yes I have brake lights they work fine. Or would it be the solenoid on the shifter?

Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

So replacing the BCM will fix it? I highly doubt that, it's still the wiring in the boot harness, not the BCM.
It sounds like you've criss-crossed the repaired wires in the trunk harness, it's a very common fault having no trunk lights or button, and usually fixed with a couple of re-joins.

I'd go back over the trunk wiring repair armed with a wiring diagram for your cars model year, identify the colours to each part that doesn't work, meter test them and solder/shrink tube repair them - this is the correct way, no 'twist and tape' repairs. As you work on them remove the battery.

You can find wiring diagrams on this forum.

Why make a small issue into a big one, changing a BCM isn't like changing a sparkplug, they're individually programmed to each car are tricky to match correctly, you can't just sling in any old BCM. They're circuit protected too so you've not blown it up yet hopefully!

Hope this helps

Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 PM

I will not disagree with you and that was my thought also. However I double checked the wiring after I connected them back according to the wiring chart. What I do not understand is by the wiring chart what does any of these wires have to do with mirror control, steering control and especially the shifter which will not go out of park unless you push the emergency button down. According to the wiring diagram none of those wires go tot he truck. Maybe you can inform me as to what does the BPM control.
Thanks

Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Default Update

Now when I am driving down the road I hear a clicking sound from the BPM that I had not heard before and when it makes this sound the steering wheel move down each time. The only way I can get it to go back up is to turn the car off and press one of the memory buttons on the master control switch

Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Ok, so there's a fault with the dash harness? I recall similar faults with would you believe, a bare wire in one of the sun visor looms, trapped behind one of the bracket screws.

This is a tricky one, intermittent - I would start by looking at the diagram that controls
Wheel position control - clean position controller and contacts
Gear shift interlock - confirm connection is good in centre console
mirror control - door module connections / switchpack
anything else acting up?

It's odd that repairing trunk lights led to forward loom controls issues, a few hours checking wiring before swapping modules, unless they're exact fit and cheap!

Do you know what your VCATS list? do a search, there's a helpful module pdf posted by Bob Gauff or 'motorcarman' that explains all about switching modules.

Have you by chance carried out a hard reset? disconnect the battery neg terminal, hold it to the pos post for a few seconds, make sure you have your radio code handy. This resets all memory settings. Another thing worth a try before switching parts.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Mines doing exact same thing. I am going to check visors first since I did my headliner a few months back and then the trunk lighting. I've already ordered a new brake switch.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM

Yes I already tried a hard reset. When I am driving the car I hear the clicking from the BPM then the steering wheel moves slightly each time it clicks. Will get back on it this week. My only two concerns is the steering wheel moving and getting the gear shifter to unlock. Funny part is when I had the glove box open the clicking stopped. Close it and it started again. Then the next day it did not matter glove box open or closed. And yes I know what my Vcats are. the door is 001 and the BPM is 017

Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by coastaljag98
Mines doing exact same thing. I am going to check visors first since I did my headliner a fewse months back and then the trunk lighting. I've already ordered a new brake switch.
e
Please let me know what u find out
Plra

Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Have you checked the voltage of the battery? I think it should be something like 12.5 volts or higher. Anything less can cause all sorts of gremlins to pop up.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Battery is new less than a year. I did my headliner in June. Just checked that my wires weren't crimped. Then I opened the trunk since I'd had issues with the wires there before and found that one of my trunk lights was actually inside the deck lid and was bouncing around so so far the fuse is holding but time will tell. I still have the brake switch ordered.