XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Already posted on new members forum, but

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now, blown heas gasket

The mechanic informed me I had a blown head gasket. This is usually caused by over heating or engine explosion.

It didn't over heat. My son reported engine explosions that were loud and scared him.

Could the explosions be caused by faulty replacement of the timing chains and tensioners?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Blown head gasket should NOT cause the engine interference issue you described. That only occurs when metal is hitting metal.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 PM

I understand that. Since the timing chains and tensioners were just replaced, is it possible that installing them incorrectly caused the problem?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Going back and rereading all the posts, it appears the timing chain jumped, caused a small explosion and blew the head gasket.

Or, the chain became off, caused the explosion blowing the head gasket then jumped and froze the engine.

Obviously I'm not a mechanic but it appears pretty clear that since the engine never over-heated, the timing chain and tensioners were replaced as a prevention, then with less than 1,000 miles all this happens, it leads back to a mistake in putting in the tensioners and timing chain.

At least, that appears to most logical based upon my limited knowledge.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlsanders
I understand that. Since the timing chains and tensioners were just replaced, is it possible that installing them incorrectly caused the problem?
Since your statement only said that they discovered a blown head gasket, the question is - did they find the interference issue and admit to their responsibility, but are claiming that the blown head gasket is unrelated?

I think we should leave it to the Jag techs on board here to tell whether the two can be related or not... I suggest, in order for this to get maximum attention, that you generate a new thread with the title of "Can a faulty tensioner install cause a blown headgasket?" or equivalent, with a detailed description of the process so far.

There is always the possibility of coincidence, but if one or more of the techs here is able to state that this is a viable cause/effect from the bad tensioner install you will have ammunition on your side.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-28-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 AM

I'll try what you suggest