XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Alternative to Subwoofers in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to Subwoofers in Trunk

In my 98 XJ8, I have two 10's in the trunk with an amp. This is down from my 12's I had a few months ago and I am still not satisfied with the bass. It stays in the trunk, none almost in the cabin. I saw something about a transducer that could go somewhere in the cabin, or I'm even entertaining the thought of just putting the most powerful (and shallow, lol) 6x9 I can find in the original hole. I was also wondering if it was possible if I could just hook my amp directly to the speakers in the door, and what that would produce. Either way, there's got to be a better way to get bass to a car like this without subwoofers in the trunk. If you have any input, I'd love to hear it.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Google Aura Bass shakers.

Standard in the theater world for a while. You have to kind of tune them just right and mount them very soldily (or they will rattle like hell), but in the right application, you'd be amazed how much like subs they "sound".

George

Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 AM

Looks good, not expensive either. Two more questions though. How do I install these w or w/o amp and where. Should I mount them in the cabin?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

You need to mount them right under the seats... exactly where may be better described by someone who has used them already - mine are on their way. I'm going to try them first wired in series with the existing sub (6x9 dual coil) in the rear panel, using the stock sub amp. If this doesn't cut it, I'll add a separate small amp, driven by the sub channel.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:06 PM

I don't have the stock sub or amp. That's why I would be a little confused about installing it.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
You need to mount them right under the seats... exactly where may be better described by someone who has used them already - mine are on their way. I'm going to try them first wired in series with the existing sub (6x9 dual coil) in the rear panel, using the stock sub amp. If this doesn't cut it, I'll add a separate small amp, driven by the sub channel.
You'll be better off adding a modest sub amp, or disconnecting the 6x9 and wiring the amp channels straight to the bass shakers.

When we used to do these at the shop years ago, we'd bolt them to sheet metal in the floor rather than the seats. We generally did these in convertibles which wouldnt take well to conventional subs and they worked ok.

George

Old 05-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes, I'm planning on floor mount... but I'll leave the 6x9 to continue to generate good mid-bass... and probably add a small amp for the shakers - just for the low bass 'kick' that the 6x9 can't reproduce. I don't plan on being a 'boomer' with my windows down... I'd just like to hear and feel things like a kick drum with a little less muddyness.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Default What is your budget?

I had a similar problem in my F250 harley davidson truck. There was no room behind the back seats, no prefab box to put under the seat due to factory fold out steel shelves. I brought my truck to a car audio plac well known for custom wok, and the guy hollowed out my deats, reinforced them so thy were still comfortable and built fiberglass boxes and rewrapped the seats with th subs built inside them. I have to warn you tho.. your gf or wife will rather sit in th backseat if you do this!!! My buddies gf's used to fight over who got to sit in the 2 outside back seats when heading out places together. by the time we arrived where we were going they had shaky knees and beads of sweat trickling on the forehead..lol (Rather enjoyed rubbing it in to my buddies that I was able to please their gf's better than they could and i didnt even have to touch em!)
Also i have yet to remove the back seat from my x300's to see what kind of room there might be hideen under the back bench seats.. but with todays technology, surely you can have a boc fabricated to fit under there and just run your amp from the trunk and wire them up...
I was wondering how i was going to set up my subs in the car when my project is done.. I assume the lack of bass in the car is the fuel tank deadening the vibration from passing into the cabin of the car.. Whatever you figure out.. please let me know.. good luck with your project

Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

You already have subs they are just muffled in the trunk. You could port the rear dash shelf to pump the bass into the cabin. If there is a 6x9 speaker in your dash shelf, try pulling it out and hear the difference. That whole shelf could be opened in multiple places and covered with audio fabric.

The trunk really is the best place for the subs and amp, power and all.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

glitch

Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 PM

I already removed the 6x9 and it's still muffled. I like my subs but I don't think I can do too much more with them...