XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Alternator diode test

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2021 | 01:17 PM
|
Default Alternator diode test

Is there a way to test the diode on a 1998 VPD alternator?
I have a battery drain problem, and all the long tried methods to isolate it have failed so far.
tia

Old 09-18-2021 | 02:23 PM

What happens when you pull the positive cable off the battery with the car running?

Old 09-18-2021 | 03:09 PM

Shut the car down and remove the power cable from the stud on the 'false-bulkhead' to see if the drain is in the alternator.

The power wire goes from the power stud to the starter and then a short link to the alternator.

Pull the large wire and it shuts power to BOTH starter and alt.

The following users liked this post:
ant17 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021 | 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
What happens when you pull the positive cable off the battery with the car running?
I would not recommend removing the battery cables while the car is running. While this test works on older cars without a hitch, modern cars are more sensitive to such things. Damage could occur to the computer modules.

The following 2 users liked this post by asdf:
ant17 (09-19-2021), motorcarman (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021 | 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by asdf
I would not recommend removing the battery cables while the car is running. While this test works on older cars without a hitch, modern cars are more sensitive to such things. Damage could occur to the computer modules.
Removing the battery cable is a standard diagnostics procedure (extract from the Workshop Manual, PDF Page 1912):

Old 09-18-2021 | 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
Removing the battery cable is a standard diagnostics procedure (extract from the Workshop Manual, PDF Page 1912):

Oh, my apologies.
Glad to be proven wrong by someone with more knowledge on the matter.

Old 09-19-2021 | 01:04 AM

Yet you chose to question me?
Been doing this quick "alternator test" for decades and on cars much newer than these X308s. If it causes damage to anything it's a Jag only problem.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 09-19-2021 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2021 | 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by asdf
Oh, my apologies.
Glad to be proven wrong by someone with more knowledge on the matter.
You were right, in principle. Without additional special protection, the voltage of an alternator having a standard regulator will go high (could be as high as 80 Volts !) if the battery is disconnected while the engine is running. I remember that for the cars of the 70's, disconnecting the battery on a running engine was a no-no as the alternator voltage would go high and may damage things. However, on cars of those days, it would mostly be blown bulbs and perhaps a radio. Most modern cars, due to so much electronics, had to have special protection circuits added to prevent the alternator voltage rise if the battery is disconnected, otherwise an accidently left loose battery cable could cause all electronics to blow-up (a major disaster).

Up to about 1992, Jaguar had external devices to prevent alternator voltage rise when the battery is disconnected and from about 1993 on, the protection was included in the alternator's voltage regulator.

In any case, I would not disconnect the battery with the engine running on any modern car without first checking that this is o.k. to do.

Samilcar (10-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021 | 02:57 PM
|

haven't tried that.

Old 09-19-2021 | 03:23 PM
|

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Shut the car down and remove the power cable from the stud on the 'false-bulkhead' to see if the drain is in the alternator.

The power wire goes from the power stud to the starter and then a short link to the alternator.

Pull the large wire and it shuts power to BOTH starter and alt.
996 Ma draw, pulled that wire. No change.

Old 09-19-2021 | 03:44 PM
|

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic

Pulled the Neg. while running car. Tested Neg. cable to positive terminal. 14.4V .

Old 09-19-2021 | 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Essentially a 1 amp draw is huge! Do you have anything that’s aftermarket installed in the car?

If your answer is no, in my experience of current draws in these cars, these are the most common components of failure for excessive draw.
Body processor module (BPM)
Security locking control module (SLCM)
Door module. There’s 1 in each door.

Excluding the alternator, what have you done so far to try and diagnose or narrow down your excessive current draw? Do you lock the car door with the key and all the locks pop up and down? There is also a timeframe in which all the modules go into “sleep mode” after you lock the car. I find that 30-60 minutes is the norm and that’s when the ma number for the draw is at the most accurate.

Last thought. How old is the battery and is it a good quality one? Sometimes when I perform a draw test I need to use a new battery just to rule out the possibility that the battery itself isn’t the issue of giving me a false draw number.

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 09-19-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2021 | 05:35 PM

The X308 takes about 20 minutes to 'power-down' after engine off, doors closed. (goes to 'sleep')

Trying to find a power drain without waiting the power-down period is useless.

The battery drain goes in stages when the car is dormant. (2 amps, 1 amp, 800ma, 300ma etc.)

NBCat (09-19-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 12:19 PM
|

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Essentially a 1 amp draw is huge! Do you have anything that’s aftermarket installed in the car?

If your answer is no, in my experience of current draws in these cars, these are the most common components of failure for excessive draw.

Excluding the alternator, what have you done so far to try and diagnose or narrow down your excessive current draw? Do you lock the car door with the key and all the locks pop up and down? There is also a timeframe in which all the modules go into “sleep mode” after you lock the car. I find that 30-60 minutes is the norm and that’s when the ma number for the draw is at the most accurate.

Last thought. How old is the battery and is it a good quality one? Sometimes when I perform a draw test I need to use a new battery just to rule out the possibility that the battery itself isn’t the issue of giving me a false draw number.
No after market anything.
Tests across fuses. No relay tests.
Battery definitely NOT the problem.
I use the remote to lock the doors, but sometimes leave it unlocked. If I use the key, the buttons will go down or up.

Old 09-20-2021 | 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

When you turn the ignition off and pull the key out, do you hear a sharp “snap”? There’s a little door that closes where the ignition key was. If that door doesn’t close when you pull the key out, the modules won’t go into sleep mode because the car thinks there’s a key in the ignition and will cause an excessive current draw.

ant17 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-10-2021 | 10:21 PM
|

When you turn the ignition off and pull the key out, do you hear a sharp “snap”? There’s a little door that closes where the ignition key was. If that door doesn’t close when you pull the key out, the modules won’t go into sleep mode because the car thinks there’s a key in the ignition and will cause an excessive current draw.
I do not hear a snap. The door seems mostly closed I'll check again.

Old 10-10-2021 | 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

When you pull the key out pin 4 to pin 5 makes contact or loses contact ( i gotta check as this is way back in the wiring guide )

See page 78 upper left corner

X300 98/E COVER (jagrepair.com)

This can be checked at the ignition switch connector

easy the get to the connector as the small U shaped cover under the steering column

This starts the SLCU to go through the steps to finally go to sleep

One of the steps is repositioning the steering column to exit the vehical

To bypass this step rotate the knob on the column from auto position to off

You could have a dragging steering column that never reaches the exit position which the SLCU looks for an agreement as a checklist to go to sleep

The alternator can be removed and the auto parts store can spin it up on a machine and see the diodes if they pass or fail

If you turn the stereo to a AM station you should be able to hear a bad diode package ( 4 in a rectifier bridge ) change pulses with engine RPM

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-10-2021 at 11:27 PM.
ant17 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021 | 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

The diode package can be changed inside the alternator assembly

This is a source not knowing your part #

I am assuming the X308 alternator is a Denso manufacture

You can also get other alternator parts like brushes , bearings , voltage regulators on their site

Denso (Nippondenso) Series Alternator Rectifiers (alternatorparts.com)

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-11-2021 at 01:25 AM.
Addicted2boost (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021 | 02:38 PM
|

Any videos on how to replace door modules? The driver side rear door had issues before, also the MPB?

Old 10-11-2021 | 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

The BPM and SLCU can be reset by a Jaguar hard reset

There are stereo head unit security code ( lock out from use ) precautions though

The BPMis behind the glove box

SLCU is by the trunk left hinge ( behind the side liner ) and is mounted at a slight angle

I think its the side liner as you can remove the fwd liner as this one is easy

The BPM must be programed with software if replaced and there is a tag with the software version in the engine compartment by the front windshield

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-11-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Alternator diode test