XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Am I screwed? What am I to do!....Head gasket job gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Am I screwed? What am I to do!....Head gasket job gone wrong?

Just as the title states; I'm concerned my attempt to doing my head gasket had resulted in the worst case scenario. I did the head gasket and after installing everything back together I proceed on in attempt to start the car. After a few bumps, or so I thought, it started and died right shortly after it fires up. During this whole process I notice there is a knock/click from cylinder 7 of bank 2. I did the compression check and it seems I'm not getting anything from this cylinder. Did I mess the timing off? Valve bent? Valve hitting the piston? Please help!

Forgot to mention. I got the codes as followed: p0351, p0355, p1637 and p0118 (for this I already replaced the coolant temp sensor and cleared the code, but it's still coming back.)

Last edited by devxiav; 10-27-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:19 AM

Ok so I got the car to start up and stay running without any codes after focusing on the possible causes based on my research. However, the clicking/ticking or knocking is stil there. It is quite loud but it is not continuously there. There are moments throughout while it is running that the sound is present. More often throughout idle, the sound is present than it is absent. Is something loose in there? Could half of the keeper come off and the spring isnt holding down the valve stem correctly. What are some of your thoughts and/or experience? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 857 Posts

Did you take any keepers out when the head was off?

If any of the lifter/shim buckets either fell out or were removed for cleaning the mating surfaces of the head, did they go back in the exact same hole that they came out of?

The next thing I would do is pull both valve covers, pin the flex plate at the back of the crankshaft and double check your cam timing.

The following users liked this post:
devxiav (10-29-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Did you change the tensioners, use the right bolt lengths, remove the pins???
Agree that checking cam position timing is task#1.
Check clearances.
Hope nothing fell down an intake port.

devxiav (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 08:34 AM

Yes; the keepers, shims, tappet and stems were all taken out/apart for cleaning in the process and were all put back accordingly. However, it's very possible they may not all have gone back to its original hole as I did not label them; and only went based on the order in which have set them out to lay as I have them apart, based on memory.
As for the tensioners, they were not changes out. And I am hoping the same as well that nothing feel in there..
However I did remove the cam covers as suggested by you guys and wanted to check if it would click if I turn the crank. It does. I see where the clicking is coming from. The 2nd to the last tappet on the top row (looking from front of engine on driver's side) of bank 2 seems like it it sticking. In other words, it would not go up and down normally as the rest. It sticks down and comes up after the cam lobe has passes; and while there is nothing to hold it down, after about 10 to 15 second,s it comes loose and comes up. When it comes up it it's the cam lobe and makes the clicking/tapping noise I've been hearing. Obviously, there can be many possible causes but based on what I've described has anyone heard of experienced this before?
By the way I have not check the time as I am unsure how to and how to determine if it is correct. I assume by turning the crank to have the cam flats parallel to the head and then being able the insert the crank lock tool with the hole on the flywheel being aligned for the fitting of the lock tool; this would indicate the correction of timing? Please advise. Thanks much

Old 10-29-2016, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

It sounds to me like that bucket is no working properly in that hole. Did you on putting the buckets back in oil them liberaly and move them up and down and twist them to make sure they are not restricted in any way. It is easy to get them slightly cocked. There is a slight chance you lost a keeper but I would think that the bucket would come back up because the spring would be fully extended.
What has me concerned is that when your bucket is stuck down the valve will also be down and when the piston comes up it will more than likely hit the valve. This could bend or break the valve.
I think what you first need to do is remove that cam and remove that bucket to see what the problem is.

Hopefully some member with more experience on working on heads than I do might have a better solution.

Best of luck.

devxiav (10-29-2016)