XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Amp/sub install wfactory stereo (XJ8)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rand h
I have a 2000 XJR which has the "premium" Alpine system including the LNF4170AA amp in the boot. The wiring out of the head unit (they used the same hu in both the premium and standard) in the premium is simple there is a yellow connector that amongst other things has two black shielded cables that carry the front back left right audio signals to the amp in the boot. All of the speaker wiring then comes out of the amp (in the boot). On the standard HU all of the speaker wires come out of the HU via the white connector (which also carries the power leads on both configurations of the HU).

I have just bought a used HU (which has the premium setup) and amp and poking around with them to figure out which wire is which so that I can replace the HU and the amp with after market stuff without having to fish RCA cables to the back (although the premium factory setup has all of the speaker leads going the boot which is sweet).

Bottom line for you with a standard se
tup - the amp won't do you any good because there are neither speaker leads in the boot nor the signal feeds from the HU as well as power leads.

I would not worry too much about that because the amp doesn't look like that its got too much horsepower - and have seen somewhere in these forums that it probably only does 17W RMS /channel (as compared to the 50W RMS Jag bragged about) - the HU probably does this any way. I am going to some power tests on the bench amp just to be sure (because if it does throw 50W RMS / channel then I will use it).

hopes this helps
Rand

90 XJS conv 5.3 5-speed
00 XJR anthracite
Hei, sorry for waking up old thread from the dead. Are you sure, that the standard setup does not have any lines in the boot for audio in and also speakers? Isn't standard and premium setups wired the same, standard just lacks the amp and on HU, it is not switched to "PREM". At least mine seems to have all the wiring (including A pillar tweeter wires). In the boot, i found AI-net for cd box (tested and works) +. in the same bunch there were two connectors with wires. I attached an image, can someone confirm, that this is necessary wiring for audio in for amp and audio out speaker wires?

cables found wrapped away, containing ai-net, nav cable and two unknown connectors, which i hope are amplifier wiring, that i could use for amp upgrade.