Announcing RealGauge! Transform your gauges from "folly" to function

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Thumbs up Announcing RealGauge! Transform your gauges from "folly" to function

I'd like to draw your attention to this thread,

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...unction-74704/

This is a definite 'must have' for X308 owners.

Background to the development of this unit is the sudden failure of our V8 engines if a coolant part fails, waterpump, hose, tank, clamp, rad....the factory display always goes into the red after the heads have cooked, either dropped valve stems or warped heads, big money to fix.

I've been testing one on my car for just about a month. Installation is easy not as involved as the XK.

The engine temp needle now shows the real engine coolant temp. This is backed up with OBDII readings to 1 degree accuracy, no joking.

It has an audible warning for over temp events also a memory function that displays up to the last 60 engine starts - accessed by holding the trip button for 4 seconds, then the needle does it's thing.

Serious addition guys!

multimedia to follow...

Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

looking forward to installing this in my XJR, I'm glad I contacted whiteXKR early so I can get the discount

Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Good Job!

Glad that you guys came through with a solution for this problem. I am definitely interested in this product, especially since I have put a new engine in my car from the destruction that comes from overheating your engine.

Just a recommendation to all XJ and XK owners of the V8 years, I would definitely recommend changing your coolant expansion tank cap. Changing this cap is an inexpensive precaution to having issues with overheating, and the new temperature gauge will not do any good if your car is not maintaining the proper pressure in the cooling system. The cap maintains pressure in the cooling system which in turn raises the boiling point of the coolant. Without this pressure the boiling point of the coolant can actually drop below when the fans will turn on to cool the engine and also your guage will be reading fine yet you may be boiling your coolant and not even know it. I do not think that these cars have a high failure rate of the coolant cap, however it is an inexpensive part that will be a part of saving your engine.

Hope this keeps some folks from having major repair costs just like the guage fix.

Thanks all,

Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
I'd like to draw your attention to this thread,

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...unction-74704/

This is a definite 'must have' for X308 owners.

Background to the development of this unit is the sudden failure of our V8 engines if a coolant part fails, waterpump, hose, tank, clamp, rad....the factory display always goes into the red after the heads have cooked, either dropped valve stems or warped heads, big money to fix.

I've been testing one on my car for just about a month. Installation is easy not as involved as the XK.

The engine temp needle now shows the real engine coolant temp. This is backed up with OBDII readings to 1 degree accuracy, no joking.

It has an audible warning for over temp events also a memory function that displays up to the last 60 engine starts - accessed by holding the trip button for 4 seconds, then the needle does it's thing.

Serious addition guys!

multimedia to follow...

Sean-
Thank you for your excellent help proving this out on the XJ X308! I have been contacted by quite a number of appreciative XJ owners already.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

That's actually a hell of a product you came up with there. Just the other day, I was wondering why the oil pressure gauge seems to always stand still. Nothing like the aftermarkets I've installed or even OEM Jeep gauges. Same goes for water temp. Very interesting read!

If you don't mind me asking, where are you having these manufactured?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mechelement
That's actually a hell of a product you came up with there. Just the other day, I was wondering why the oil pressure gauge seems to always stand still. Nothing like the aftermarkets I've installed or even OEM Jeep gauges. Same goes for water temp. Very interesting read!

If you don't mind me asking, where are you having these manufactured?

Thank you!

You have an oil pressure gauge? I was not aware any X308 XJs had factory oil pressure gauges. Please give me more information. JTIS does not show an oil pressure guage for the XJ.

I outsource the circuit board fabrication, but for modest quantities they are designed for manual assembly 'in-house' (i.e.; Mrs WhiteXKR ).

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-10-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Installation and instruction manuals are now posted for many models here:

RealGauge Installation - TheJagWrangler

The RHD (United Kingdom) model XK8/XKR and early model X308 XJ model manuals are not posted yet, but will be up shortly. The differences are very minor.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Installation and instruction manuals are now posted for many models here:

RealGauge Installation - TheJagWrangler

The RHD (United Kingdom) model XK8/XKR and early model X308 XJ model manuals are not posted yet, but will be up shortly. The differences are very minor.

UPDATE: All model year XJ - X308 instruction manuals are now posted on my site.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Thank you!

You have an oil pressure gauge? I was not aware any X308 XJs had factory oil pressure gauges. Please give me more information. JTIS does not show an oil pressure guage for the XJ.

I outsource the circuit board fabrication, but for modest quantities they are designed for manual assembly 'in-house' (i.e.; Mrs WhiteXKR ).
Whoops, sorry about that! I meant water temp gauge. I just finished reading the installation instructions. Very thorough.

Is the PCB manufactured locally, or outsourced abroad?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Is this temp gauge up-grade needed on the X350?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mechelement
Whoops, sorry about that! I meant water temp gauge. I just finished reading the installation instructions. Very thorough.

Is the PCB manufactured locally, or outsourced abroad?

The PCBs are fabricated in the US.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Clamdigger
Is this temp gauge up-grade needed on the X350?

If on the X350 your temp. gauge never moves from center scale once the car warms up, it likely is fake. I do not have an X350 upgrade at this time.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

finished up my install today, works perfectly, I definitely suggest that everyone gets this. My car has overheated twice with no warning in the past due to the stock setup. I don't think it will ever overheat again because I will know I have a problem before it is too late.

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (06-22-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Great i,m gonna order mine soon ,i see Paypal payment can be made .

Old 06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXJR02
finished up my install today, works perfectly, I definitely suggest that everyone gets this. My car has overheated twice with no warning in the past due to the stock setup. I don't think it will ever overheat again because I will know I have a problem before it is too late.
Amen, brother...

I'm just waiting for that phone call or email to tell me my number has come up and I can pay and have mine shipped.

Great product here. We should all support this type of development.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JaguarXJR02
Thank you! I am glad you are pleased.

Many hundreds of hours of R&D and testing went into this (controlling gauges in a modern computer controlled automobile is not the simple task it once was). It is great to finally see that it was time well spent!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
Amen, brother...

I'm just waiting for that phone call or email to tell me my number has come up and I can pay and have mine shipped.

Great product here. We should all support this type of development.
Originally Posted by DJ-Roy
Great i,m gonna order mine soon ,i see Paypal payment can be made .
I am finally getting caught up. I have just opened RealGauge ordering to the public.

Now Shipping! RealGauge - TheJagWrangler