XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

another bluetooth problem,red and black plug.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another bluetooth problem,red and black plug.

Just typical I bought a telemute cable thinking it would connect to the famous 10 pin yellow connector in the cubby box armrest and my nokia handsfree at the other only to discover that the 10 pin plug was a little red and black number that no cable connector supplier has seen or is familiar with.
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this wee plug or is it for some special equipment thats been removed? the cubby box is the small job moulded for a phone but no phone.
thanks guys and gals.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Download the electrical diagrams for your year car ( http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm ), look at the telphone area and start comparing wire colors - you should be able to identify.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Thumbs up thanks from a newbie

Thanks quad guy , I had all but given up with this, figuring the ROW wiring was not going to available , most posts seem to be about USA wiring.
There was a thread dealing with my problem from last year but some info i needed was missing.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Default progress

Yea, i had a good look at captain jacks PDFs but i could'nt see the diagram relevant to my U K car , no mention of red/ black connector in console, only white 10 pin.
I have ordered a JTIS cd i'll see where that gets me, if its any good i'll let you know.
Thanks for answering me anyway.
CHEEERS.
Tony Smith.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Default bluetooth ROW

[quote=actionslaxx;302708]Yea, i had a good look at captain jacks PDFs but i could'nt see the diagram relevant to my U K car , no mention of red/ black connector in console, only white 10 pin.
I have ordered a JTIS cd i'll see where that gets me, if its any good i'll let you know.
Thanks for answering me anyway.
CHEEERS.
Tony Smith.[/quo
Got JTIS cd ,it does'nt have the right diagram, although i'm starting to doubt its existence ICARUS had a thead going with someone and he knew aboutthis red/black socket and talked about an alternative diagram,but i'm damned if i can find it, ho hum......

Old 02-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hi

I can probably tell you what you need to know :-)

ask away!

Old 02-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Angry jumping on the bandwagon

hi there, i have just finished installing a bluetooth phone kit in my car. it is the 2nd time i have attempted to fit one in an XJ8. my first car (2000) had a phone fitted in it so i followed the directions of J Roal listed here on the forum. i was unable to find the mute wire and so had to run the speaker that comes with the kit. i have replaced my car with another XJ8 (2002) that had no phone fitted in it. once again i fitted the motorola t605 and followed the instructions again to a tee. i still cant find the mute wire.
somewhere i have read that the mute wire is located in the boot by the fuse box. has anyone heard of this? short of pulling out the head unit to locate this crucial wire i dont know what to do. i could even suffer the speaker set up if i could just get the stereo to mute when a call comes in. various threads i have read here have talked of success with these sytems but i tried all of the wires left over in the arm console and NONE of them will mute the stereo
i am starting to get really miffed with the whole thing......

any guidance or help with this will be very gratefully received and i thank you in advance for reading through my rant.

dom.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 AM

red black plug? nine wire? then earth pin 4 on the big blue plug at the fuse box, should cause mute and phone message on screen.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by icarus
I can probably tell you what you need to know :-)

ask away!
icarus
did you think this nine wire red black plug was for factory bluetooth via a phone module like on the s type?, i've read your post from last year which was great but i'm not wanting to run cabling through the car when there is miles of it anyway if i can avoid it. can you tell me where you got the wiring diagram with the row diagram for the phone?, i can only find the white connector one .
Tony Smith

Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Default plug

Hi,

I think the red & white plug is for the UK version of the car phone (motorola wired thingy). I'm sure its not for bluetooth - the car is too old for that. I actually cheated a bit when it came to running the wires. As the red & white plug has some wires that connect directly to the plug in the boot, I simply bridged the required connections on the plug in the boot (that plug contains the required connections for mute and audio as well as the connections to the red & white plug). I then just tapped into the newly connected wires on the red & white plug!

Hope this makes some kind of sense :-)

Matt

The following users liked this post:
actionslaxx (02-16-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Default more

Hi 12dj,

The mute connection you are looking for is located on a plug by the battery in the boot. If you look at some of my previous posts I think the required pin is listed.

It took me a while to work it out as all the info I found on the web made no sense when applied to my car. It was only when I got hold of the wiring diagrams that I realised the UK wiring is different to the US!

Matt

Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by icarus
Hi,

I think the red & white plug is for the UK version of the car phone (motorola wired thingy). I'm sure its not for bluetooth - the car is too old for that. I actually cheated a bit when it came to running the wires. As the red & white plug has some wires that connect directly to the plug in the boot, I simply bridged the required connections on the plug in the boot (that plug contains the required connections for mute and audio as well as the connections to the red & white plug). I then just tapped into the newly connected wires on the red & white plug!

Hope this makes some kind of sense :-)

Matt
Matt thats all good news,would you consider confirming which pins are relevent to the colours in the cabin, you mention pin 4 s earth mute in the boot which i tried and it worked! also you said that pin 32 and 34 were audio poss and neg in that order, is that correct?
my car has the factory mike fitted, did you have this option and if so did it work? i would rather not have the nokia one stuck on somewhere if i can avoid it. sorry for so many questions, ican only hope i can return the favour with info on another part of the car.
Thanks
Tony

Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Default mic and things

glad to hear you have found the mute! pins 32 and 34 sound about right - plug it in and try it :-) as for which wires run through to the cab, I can't actually remember! I used a multimeter to buzz out the wires until i found 3 that were connected. I haven't got the factory mic in my car, so i ran the wire behind the dash and up behind the windscreen post trim. the mic sits nicely at the top of the trim by the visor.

Cheers,

matt

Old 02-17-2011, 04:48 AM

OK i'll do that, can you remember where you saw the two diifferent wiring diagrams for the phone?,on my jtis there is two drawings but only for front and front and rear phone install,no mention of row wiring.
cheers
tony.