XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Another brake thread (but not the same)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Another brake thread (but not the same)

So, today I put on some new pads on the front of my car (not doing rear just yet).
Everyone recommends the Akenbono Euro Ceramic pads, but were a bit out of budget. I decided to go with a set of Beck/Arnley TRUE Friction pads, which have the same OE formula, but are formulated to be low dust. Not sure if that is accurate just yet.

I will be updating this thread as I drive on these pads.

As a side note, I believe I replaced the original factory brakes (Not an OE replacement, but the pads that it came out of the factory with). There is no indication that they have been done, however it is possible they have, but if they have not, the Jurid pads went over 100,000 miles.

So far, the B/A pads don't have quite the same "bite" as the Jurid's do, however, I am not sure if there is some kind of coating or anything on the pad that I have to wear off or anything like that, they feel softer than the Jurid's do, which I don't care for as it is different. I also have to replace the brake hoses (putting on some braided stainless steel hoses from SNG Barratt, they should arrive Monday). I suspect that may tighten them up very slightly, at which point I will do a full flush and bleed. They may be what it needs also.

I was slightly surprised to see that the front calipers are only one piston and not two. I would have though with as heavy of a car it is it would have been two.

Sorry for the long rant, and if you actually made it this far without falling asleep, congratulations! You have earned yourself a nice, big, steaming hot bowl of satisfaction.
I will be updating this thread over the next few weeks as I go along, as well as photos of brake dust after a certain duration of time. I am doing this since I saw nobody else on here has mentioned ever using Beck/Arnley pads before, and for a modest price of $45.00 a set for the 2000 Vanden Plas, that is pretty reasonable.
So, I hope you all can learn from this thread and as I said before, I will be keeping you guys updated as I go along; I am just as curious myself to see how they work.
Thanks for bearing with me!

Old 05-08-2015, 02:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Soft and spongy braking with the new pads is normal since you didn't get new disks, after 100,000 miles the disks are not as flat as they should be anymore. Run your finger across the disk when you have the wheel off, you will feel it's not 100% flat anymore. The new pads have to set to the disks, after a brief period they will be biting at least as good as the old ones.

As for brakepads I prefer EBC RedStuff ones, suitable for heavy cars with an amazing bite. They are advertised producing less brake dust as well, after 50,000 miles I'm not convinced.

No, I didn't fall asleep reading your post.

Last edited by Nick Wood; 05-08-2015 at 02:03 AM.