XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Another FOB - Valet Mode Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011 | 03:10 PM
|
Default Another FOB - Valet Mode Issue

I found many relevant posts and have tried everything. 2001 XJ8 has a dead battery while in Valet Mode. Have Black Key and it will not open trunk or exit Valet Mode. Ordered new FOB and instructions require trunk open. Alternate instructions from this site with headlamp selector does not allow programming either. Battery does not hold a charge anymore.

Dealer is over 2 hours away and not in my budget these days. Any help?

Old 12-30-2011 | 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried unlocking the driver door to cancel the valet mode?

Have you tried charging the dead battery from the connections under the hood? The battery may not hold a charge but the car will certainly recognize power from a charger or another battery.

There are covered post on each side of the engine near the fuse panels that are high power leads from the battery. I would not try to jump start the car from these posts but you can certainly charge it from there.

Old 12-31-2011 | 10:57 AM
|
Default Remain Stumped

Thank you test point!
  1. Yes, I tried using the master key and although it locks and unlocks the gas cap, the car remains in valet mode with the trunk secured.
  2. I have also tried unlocking the trunk with the master key using a significant amount of force. Still the valet mode remains.
  3. Of course I have tried the trunk switch and valet switch on the dash and in both cases the led reads "valet mode" and chimes.
  4. Finally I ordered an FOB. The procedure with the unit requires the trunk to be open to enter programming mode. Alternative instructions also failed.

I have been able to start the car from the posts. Had my service station (sharp people but not Jaguar) back charge the battery however it did not hold a charge long enough for me to consider driving it anywhere.

Although a dead battery makes it more complex the problem comes down to the failure to get it out of valet mode.

Personally valet mode was never useful to me. When it was new I couldn't understand letting someone drive away with my $60k car but making sure they didn't get my underwear out of the trunk.

Old 12-31-2011 | 11:38 AM

You cannot programme a keyfob transmitter with the car in 'VALET MODE'.
You need to spray liquid penetrating oil into the boot lid lock barrel and work the key back and forth for a few minutes to free the lock. A little at at time will work but a HUGE force will probably break something.

You also need to USE THE KEY several times a year to keep it working (USE IT OR LOSE IT)

The boot lid does NOT need to be opened to configure the keyfob transmitter to the SLCM on the X308. It cannot be in VALET MODE.

As testpoint said, you need to charge the battery from the power stud on the 'false bulkhead' in the engine compartment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff