XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Another LS Swap Project: 2000 XJR

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ixfn
How bad is your cabin drone? Mine was unbearable, I've since added a Magnaflow resonator (12468 I believe) and it helped quiet the car down, and has a nice burble/cackle, but a LOT of drone still in the cabin.
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm using the OEM Camaro SS catalytic convertors (all 4) and it does a pretty good job quieting things down. You certainly know the exhaust is there on the highway, but not what I'd think is significant drone. That said, all of the 2k miles so far has been with the windows down (black on black in Texas sun/heat with no AC until this week doesn't work with windows up), and the 45 minute ride on the highway was the longest so far with windows up. I'll try to get a mov/mpe/mpeg file of it on the highway for the sound. I know it's not likely to ever be as smooth sounding as the Borla "Touring" setup on my truck.

What are you using for exhaust on your LS2/T56 Jag other than the Magnaflow?

Last edited by 57loboy; Today at 11:17 AM.
Old Today, 12:08 PM
Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 57loboy
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm using the OEM Camaro SS catalytic convertors (all 4) and it does a pretty good job quieting things down.

What are you using for exhaust on your LS2/T56 Jag other than the Magnaflow?
The system is 2.5", all mandrel bent, no cats, was X pipe after the downpipes changed to that big resonator (with X pipe built in which is neat), and two Black Widow Venom 250's at the rear. The tone is really good, it's just the drone that's killing me. I chose the Black Widows as I have them on my old Nova, and there's essentially no drone at cruising speed (their tagline one was "all tone no drone"), but on the Jag it's not the case, very few RPM bands it will quiet down. I'm wondering if I should have put the mufflers forward of the axle, and pipes over and out. There was much more room to put them at the rear however, you'd need pretty slim ones to fit nicely ahead of the axle. The resonator tucked up perfectly in the tunnel where the stock one lived.

Hope you can sort out that flange vibration. If you're using a bolt on flange adapter I wonder if a shop could balance it assembled to ensure it's made correctly. I went one piece driveshaft also, and used a one-piece Sonnax adapter made for BWM I modified by enlarging the pinion pilot hole. A little spendy but trouble free mercifully.