XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Another one of the "Timing chain" threads

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Default Another one of the "Timing chain" threads

Hi all,

after driving through a tunnel into a multi story car park, I noticed how loud my cam chains are... They do rattle a bit so I am now getting all parts in for a cam tensioner, cam chain and chain guide change.

I read somewhere, that you need some shorter tensioner screws (cam tensioners) as the old ones will be too long. But I can't remember if that was regarding a change from old plastic to new metal tensioners of if that was simply "as is"?

Secondly, the chain cover has two holes around the position of the exhaust cam...:

In the picture part number 5. My 3.2l doesn't have the VVT. Is that opening part of the VVT system and just blanked off on my VVT-free engine or is there something I've missed?

Cheers

Damien

Old 12-06-2015, 06:11 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

The 3rd generation secondary tensioners use shorter screws than the original ones

Old 12-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Not familiar with the 3.2, but that cover picture is for the VVT equipped engine, so it's either blanked off or a completely different cover for yours.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rocklandjag
The 3rd generation secondary tensioners use shorter screws than the original ones
I asssume they are the full metal ones rather than the 2nd plastic generation? Aka the white ones?

Originally Posted by RJ237
Not familiar with the 3.2, but that cover picture is for the VVT equipped engine, so it's either blanked off or a completely different cover for yours.
That is what I was thinking. Oddly the picture is used as a "generic" item on the Jaguar Classic Parts site...

Cheers!

Old 12-07-2015, 04:44 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi Damien,

I asssume they are the full metal ones rather than the 2nd plastic generation? Aka the white ones?
Yes, 3rd gen secondary tensioners are full metal made. Since their base is basically lower than 2nd or 1st gen tensioners, you'll need shorter bolts (35mm vs 40mm, Part no. JFB10607B). If you order the tensioners with britishparts, you have to order the bolts separately. So check the dealer, if they come with the tensioners or if not.

Is that opening part of the VVT system and just blanked off on my VVT-free engine or is there something I've missed?
Since the /R does't have VVT either, the hole for the VVT is blanked off. You don't have to worry 'bout that.

Check out my german DIY for the secondary tensioners, I'll update it during the next few days and add the install process and reassembly (Thema anzeigen - x308 sekundäre Kettenspanner wechseln (Zip Tie-/Kabelbinder-Methode)). The DIY is with pictures, you only can watch them if signed in.

Best regards,
Alexander

PS: The secondaries need to be primed with oil prior to first starting the engine. After reassembly, I just pulled the ignition relay (near engine ECU) and fuel pump relay (fuse and relay box in the boot), removed the spark plugs and cranked the engine several times.

PPS: After removing the cam covers, you can inspect the primary tensioners. Just take a flashlight and look alongside the front end cover (See pictures #12 https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-p0324-152238/)
When I noticed that my secondary tensioners were 2nd gen, I was afraid to have to change the primaries too. Only God knows why but my primaries have been already replaced for the 3rd gen tensioners and rails. So chances are good to have a look first before unnecessarily spending lots of money for the primaries and rails.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjr2014_de
Hi Damien,

Yes, 3rd gen secondary tensioners are full metal made. Since their base is basically lower than 2nd or 1st gen tensioners, you'll need shorter bolts (35mm vs 40mm, Part no. JFB10607B). If you order the tensioners with britishparts, you have to order the bolts separately. So check the dealer, if they come with the tensioners or if not.

Since the /R does't have VVT either, the hole for the VVT is blanked off. You don't have to worry 'bout that.

Check out my german DIY for the secondary tensioners, I'll update it during the next few days and add the install process and reassembly (Thema anzeigen - x308 sekundäre Kettenspanner wechseln (Zip Tie-/Kabelbinder-Methode)). The DIY is with pictures, you only can watch them if signed in.

Best regards,
Alexander

PS: The secondaries need to be primed with oil prior to first starting the engine. After reassembly, I just pulled the ignition relay (near engine ECU) and fuel pump relay (fuse and relay box in the boot), removed the spark plugs and cranked the engine several times.

PPS: After removing the cam covers, you can inspect the primary tensioners. Just take a flashlight and look alongside the front end cover (See pictures #12 https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-p0324-152238/)
When I noticed that my secondary tensioners were 2nd gen, I was afraid to have to change the primaries too. Only God knows why but my primaries have been already replaced for the 3rd gen tensioners and rails. So chances are good to have a look first before unnecessarily spending lots of money for the primaries and rails.
No bodge zip ties for me!

I've bought the tools and all parts. Just need to wait until January... Then I can use my brothers workshop. I've got all metal parts (tensioners, guides and new chains) so the bangee will run better for a while

Old 12-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Good for you! Good luck!