XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Another Power Windows issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Another Power Windows issue!!

Need help with power windows. We loved this xjr until all of the electrical problems started! The most pressing at the moment is the power windows.
About a week ago the door switches stopped working but we could still lower the windows using the remote and raise them using the key turn.
A few days ago the key turn stopped working and now ALL of the windows are stuck in the DOWN position. It was 27 degrees this morning...
I've read through all of the forums and so far have tried:
  • Checked all fuses found in the handbook and all were good
  • reset the battery using the negative cable to positive terminal trick: no change
  • charged battery: no change
  • purchased a new expensive battery: no change
  • when switch is depressed or raised it makes no click or any sound at all, and the same when the key is turned other than the door unlock
  • took off the drivers side switch inside and cleaned and inspected and put it back: no change
  • The sun roof still works with the key and the interior button
If the driver's door switch is broken will it affect all windows?
Is there a main fuse block I should look for?
Where is the window motor located?
If the driver's window switch goes bad will that affect all windows?? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
I've tried to read the wiring diagram and am not capable of it.
ANY help would be appreciated!!!

Old 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The switch in each door communicates with a door control module that in turn runs the lift motors - see figure 15.1 in the electrical guide for the different modules involved. The door modules are gray boxes attached at the bottom of each door and have individual fuses in the heelboard under the rear seat, no main fuse block. The switches are simple with not much to go wrong, the modules however are 20+ year old electronics. The good news is that there are plenty of replacement modules out there and they are cheap on ebay.

The driver's door control module is the only one that processes signals for all 4 windows. I'd start with the driver's door control module as my suspect. Swap the module with the one from your front passenger door as they are interchangeable and see if that changes anything. I'd also double check all the fuses for the BPM and for the driver's door module. In particular, I'd make sure the driver's door control module is getting power (possibly a brown/red wire in the connector?). I'd make sure that there's no corrosion on any of the connections from the switch pack to the module. I don't think you need the SLCM, or the other door modules, to be connected so I'd pull their fuses and isolate them from the issue and focus on getting the driver's window working from the driver's door switch pack.

If it's not door modules, then could be BPM issues. Your post suggests there are other electrical problems. What other issues are you seeing? Do they point to a bad BPM?

Old 10-30-2023, 09:14 PM

Thank you for the reply! I honestly didn't think anyone would
We will start with the recommended stuff tomorrow!
The other issues are: cruise control error, beeping noise (like the distance warnings) when vehicles are on the opposite side of the highway and no where near the vehicle, Park brake error (resolved with the new battery and a reset), and now cold weather air lift issues. Maybe not all electrical? But a total mess all of a sudden!! Oh! And the fuel gauge only shows half full when totally full.
Thanks again and I'll post back results of the above steps you recommended.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 857 Posts

Jagwifey, what year is your car?? This is the 98’-03’ X308 forum. It sounds like your car is at least an 04’+ with park brake fault, cruise not available and air suspension.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Jagwifey, what year is your car?? This is the 98’-03’ X308 forum. It sounds like your car is at least an 04’+ with park brake fault, cruise not available and air suspension.

yes 04- can you tell me how to move it? Or do I need to create a new one? Sorry! 🤨

Old 10-31-2023, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by jagwifey
yes 04- can you tell me how to move it? Or do I need to create a new one? Sorry! 🤨
Simply PM one of the mods listed at the bottom right of this forum and they can take care of it for you.....good luck with your repair.

GGG, Norri, Cambo, sklimii, Don B