XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Another problem with my trashcan

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another problem with my trashcan

I have another issue with my 98 xj8l.......it seems now that at times after driving it for about 15 minutes and i turn it off all lights turn off and when i try to crank it back up theres no power........car is dead........i wait a little bit and power comes back and all lights come back on and it starts right up........battery seems fine to me but have not checked it........its fairly new (not even 4 months).......also the radio at times i have a station on and all of the sudden i get another station that comes in for about a second and then the original station i had on returns..........to me it seems like i have a short somewhere........but dont where to start.......fuse, relay. wiring. etc........should i check the wiring that leads to the battery, check the fuse or what..........i went to auto zone for codes and the p1000 comes on which means nothing.........i know my traction control sensor needs to be replace because my car was stalling at one time when i accelerate and one of the guys here told me to turn the trac off button off and it stop doing it........could that be related to this issue........it seems to me when something goes bad on these cars everything starts to get out of whack and problems come to life.........my main concern now is cars goes dead and then all of a sudden it comes back to life........and it cranks up........need advice please and thank you to anyone who replies.......this site is heaven for someone like me who dont know diddly.........ps........today when the sun comes up im going to clean all connector points with a swab, wait for it to dry and connect them back up..........

Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

This series of cars has chronic problems with all the high power and ground connections from the remote battery. The two that seem to be the most often seen is the ground cable to the battery and the connection to the post on the false firewall on the right hand side. But they all could probably use a good cleaning, not with a swab but a toothbrush sized wire brush.

Look for discoloration and any signs of heat to help locate the offending connection.

Last edited by test point; 03-13-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Look at this starter motor thread (it has info on power distribution including battery problems - read posts # 8 - # 10):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...er-help-69358/

Jim Lombardi