XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Antenna Adaptors

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Antenna Adaptors

Just bought a 2002 XJ8. Most pressing issue is getting at least one more key (only 1 key + remote from seller). Would also like to install a set-up to use my portable Sirius radio (Sportster 5). Will use an FM modulator direct connected to antenna. Looking at some antenna adaptors on eBay, but they all say they're applicable to S-Types & X-Types- nothing for XJs. Would seem Jaguar would use the same antennae for all models. Are XJ8 antenna connections the same as S-Types & X-Types?

Old 04-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Baron
Just bought a 2002 XJ8. Most pressing issue is getting at least one more key (only 1 key + remote from seller). Would also like to install a set-up to use my portable Sirius radio (Sportster 5). Will use an FM modulator direct connected to antenna. Looking at some antenna adaptors on eBay, but they all say they're applicable to S-Types & X-Types- nothing for XJs. Would seem Jaguar would use the same antennae for all models. Are XJ8 antenna connections the same as S-Types & X-Types?
The antenna input on most non-GM sourced (ie Delco-Remy) radios is a standard "Motorola" antenna plug.

This is the male Motorola plug that goes into the back of the radio.

If you acquire something like this:

The grey box is small enough to hide in back of the radio, and run the control head (the black box at the bottom) out to a handy place so you can turn the FM adapter on and off as well as plug in your device (tune your radio to the frequency selected, turn the device on, and press play on the device).

I know some poo-poo using this method; I guess if you are looking for studio quality (and you would not believe what studios actually use to listen to during the final mix...been there, done that) in a 4000 lb metal box, well, this won't do it for you. But, I went this route to bring the audio in from my Motorola T605 bluetooth adapter and it works just fine for my needs (note, I also actually use the cassette deck in the Alpine OEM radio to listen to my cassette collection...lol), and may for you.

(by the by...before a mod says it...couple things...introduce yourself in the new members forum, and put your car information in your signature so we all know what year/model you are asking questions about... And, I see you're right across the river from me...so, if you need help, give a holler...)

Last edited by bdboyle; 04-29-2015 at 08:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Red Baron (05-07-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trunk antenna adaptors

I am trying to do the same thing - only I would like to put in the FM modulator directly next to the antenna in the trunk, so I don't have to pull the control panel apart. Have looked around but not found any adaptors for those plugs in the trunk. Has anybody?
Thanks

Old 04-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 13was13
I am trying to do the same thing - only I would like to put in the FM modulator directly next to the antenna in the trunk, so I don't have to pull the control panel apart. Have looked around but not found any adaptors for those plugs in the trunk. Has anybody?
Thanks
Because the adapter is such a weak RF signal and the losses in the transmission line for the run from the trunk up to the radio are so long...you will be more prone to electrical noise pickup and such if you put it in the trunk. Putting it close to the radio minimized signal loss and noise vulnerability. It's not that hard to take the ski slope out (carefully) and work the radio loose.

Only issue would be the power, but there is a 5 amp circuit in the armrest that was used for the phone installation that you can tap from for the power feed and fish the +12 through the console easily to get to it.

That's how I'd go...just a thought.

13was13 (04-29-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bryan-

Thanks. I found an XJ8 at the junkyard (Harry's) & found the antenna was a standard Motorola. Was also able to practice taking apart the console & salvaged some parts. I've got the Sirius portable set-up in my other cars so have all the parts. Thanks also for the tip about the power point in the armrest (my other cars just have wiring to cigarette lighter fuse).

Any Jaguar mechanics around (besides Reedman-Toll & Great Britains)? Right now just looking to get aftermarket keys cut & programmed (Reedman will do it for $130/hr, Great Britains won't do it).

Will go to the New Members page now (& add a signature block)....

Thanks again.

bdboyle (05-08-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

I installed this unit in my 2001 GMC Jimmy and ran into the problem of the
GM antenna plug was smaller than the SCOSCHE unit. The SCOSCHE unit had a larger
antenna plug receptacle and also had a larger output plug. I could not find an
adapter for both ends so, I wound up cutting the antenna plug SCOSCHE receptacle
and wiring the antenna wire directly into the SCOSCHE unit. Then I cut the SCOSCHE
antenna output plug off and soldered the original antenna plug onto the SCOSCHE
antenna output.
I realized after going through all this that the retailer I bought this unit from had given me the wrong type. DUH ! Oh, well. I got some practice with my soldering iron.

The SCOSCHE unit works great with my iPHONE and the extra USB charging jacks really
help in keeping my other electronics (wireless hotspot unit) charged up.
The iPhone outputs via the audio jack into the SCOSCHE unit jack then into the radio
FM and then out the speakers. REALLY nice sound !
Worth the work and money to keep the original radio/cd unit intact and usable.

Red Baron (05-10-2015)