XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Any ideas where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Any ideas where to start?

Hello!
After years of searching i found my "baby". A 2000 XJR Beautiful inside and out. The original owner did plenty to this Jag, from new belt tension system, to new pumps. I've had a month or so with my jag and here are a few things that have happen. If anyone has had similar issues and have any suggestions as to where to start pleaseeee i beg you let me know. I really want my jag to last me for years!

* Note No warning lights are or where on when i purchased the car*
1. Jag passed the smog test. The next morning my Oxygen sensor light went off.

2. About 1 week of my Oxygen sensor light being off on a cold morning i received the gearbox temperature sign " limited performance". I turned the car off and back, waited a few minutes and after i restarted the key the warning light went away.

3. My mechanic swapped the O2 Sensors.

4. Last night, please correct me if I'm wrong or just hyper aware of my cars sounds and vibrations. BUT now when i drive i notice the automatic transmission can be felt when the car is accelerating. Fast or slow i feel the gears change, however i don't feel anything when braking. I tried accelerating a bit fast just to see how i felt the engine and i did notice a yellow light flashed for 1 second and disappeared. I got home checked under the hood, there is no burning smell or really anything that looks off. NO leaks. Only thing i can think of is that the service papers i received from the owner show the transmission oil was changed @ 80k miles. I now have 90k on it.

Please let me know if im just over thinking it or if there are anything i can do to prevent future breakdowns. Im a bit skeptical of the Jaguar mechanics in my area. ( Los Angeles) If anyone has a guy in my local area please let me know .

Old 12-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Mechanic needs to read the OBD II codes (here's a thought; buy one and read them yourself; you will find them very informative and save you a wad).

Very likely you need to clean the MAF sensor; maybe new plugs; new fuel filter; clean the throttle plate and bore; and battery voltage. But in the end; those O2 sensors are probably in need of replacement (OBD II codes!).

The following users liked this post:
Dr.Acula (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Jhartz,
Thank you ! Ill definitely do that. Is there an OBD reader you recommend? the current one I purchased from Amazon does not work. Ill mention the cleaning to my mechanic and see if hes up for it.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,793 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Congrats on your girl, now its time to get serious.
For the OBD, the ELM327 is the site favorite seemingly (I have one), be sure to get the Bluetooth, not the WIFI one...readily available on Amazon.
Before going any further on chasing the lights on the dash, be sure your battery cables are corrosion free. This will save you chasing ghosts. Now, if you do have corrosion and cleaned them, I pretty much guarantee you didn't get the residue down in the insulation. Thus you'll still have issues, get a new cable, you won't regret it.
Next, the trans, be sure to check the crossmember to be secure. If so, have you checked your motor mounts? I have a thread I may want you to review, but not until we find out more. Also, prompt the link in my Sig., it will take you to the How To threads.

Dr.Acula (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 12:56 PM

I'm jumping in my chair!! Thank you all for these tips and directions! I will definitely check in regularly.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,089 Posts

You have the Mercedes-Benz 5G-Tronic ( also called 722.6 ) transmission or the Mercedes-Benz W5A580 in the supercharged version different then the one in the normally aspirated X308 Model . Carefully check proper service level . Might be something in the TSB's linked below :

http://www.jagrepair.com/XJTSB.htm

W5A580 manual :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pdi1w4...ion+Manual.pdf

Related link :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...df-file-78392/

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-29-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would fix the car myself, YouTube is a great place

Dr.Acula (01-02-2018)
Old 12-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Acula
I tried accelerating a bit fast just to see how i felt the engine and i did notice a yellow light flashed for 1 second and disappeared.
That's the traction control

The following 2 users liked this post by nilanium:
Jhartz (12-30-2017), Samilcar (01-03-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 04:31 PM

I hope everyone had a good new years! I just wanted to drop a quick update. I checked my battery and cables look fairly new, no corrosion. I decided to get brave after i waxed and polished my jag... I was driving downtown LA... i figured I'd give it some gas and see if it had that same delay. I couldn't stop smiling. WOW she moves fast and with grace! I've made a check list with everyone suggestions and Ill start working on these myself.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:32 PM

it also made a noise almost like a "squack" ?

Old 01-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Default New Update

When i purchased Alfred, the owner gave me the service records. I was revising all of them and read that in june of 2017 the ABS module was swapped out for a new along with chain tensioners and super charger belt. That really ruled so much out. I am cleaning the ASC sensors behind the calipers this coming weekend and trying to see if that helps. Ive also noticed that on any cold morning when i start the car i hear a small rattle but fades completely after 2 seconds. All n All i know im blessed this kitty was taken care of.

cliveb (01-17-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got a Foxwell NT510 scanner/code reader. About $140 at Amazon. Worked perfectly first try. I'm no techie and found it easy to set up and use. It comes set up for one type of car maker; so get Landrover /Jaguar. Almost all makes are available at additional cost. I need mine for my '06 XJR and '96 VDP. The Foxwell was recommended by many good people here at Jaguar Forums. It will give a breif description of codesit sees from your car. Google code number for more detail. Foxwell has USB for computor and its own memory feature. Also clears codes.