XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Any one replace their windshield themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023 | 04:04 PM
|
Default Any one replace their windshield themselves?

My 2003 XJ8 daily driver had a crack at wiper level since I bought it that decided to grow. I have a good windshield on my 2001 XJR part car. Anyone replace on their own? Any hints/tricks? Special tools?

Old 06-16-2023 | 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by pcolapacker
My 2003 XJ8 daily driver had a crack at wiper level since I bought it that decided to grow. I have a good windshield on my 2001 XJR part car. Anyone replace on their own? Any hints/tricks? Special tools?
I removed the rear windshield on my wife's XJR to redo the headliner without creasing it. The front glass appears to be the same except for the plastic scuttle panel that has to come off. After removing the chrome and pulling out the gasket I used a wire to cut the urethane - in addition to a forward motion it helps to pull away from the edge of the glass for a smooth cut (if that makes sense), and be sure to keep the wire above (pull away from) the paint surface on the exterior. There's a good video on youtube showing the proper way to trim the old urethane on the pinchweld joint. I used a 3M primer on the glass, but most of the glass shops I approached when trying to find it don't bother to use it. I also used a 3M urethane which worked well - instructions on the tube are clear on how to notch the nozzle for a proper bead. Be sure to install the windshield gasket on the glass before setting the glass, otherwise any excess urethane will prevent the gasket from being installed after the fact (I learned this the hard way). When reinstalling the chrome lay some lightweight string in one of the side grooves, press the chrome into the opposite side and slowly pull up on the string to bring the opposite lip over the chrome. A little silicone spray helps to work the chrome into the gasket. I used a cheap wire kit and pair of suction cup handles from Harbor Freight - both worked fine. Before removing the glass I made a pair of plastic shims sized to fit between the bottom of the glass and the body to help locate the glass when reinstalling - not sure how this space is configured under the front scuttle panel. A second pair of hands helps when resetting the glass. I think it took about an hour to remove the glass, and about the same to install - the first time. Second time around each took about 20 minutes. The longest part of the process is removing all the interior trim. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (10-04-2023)
Old 06-16-2023 | 02:49 PM
|

Thanks for the detailed response.

Old 07-17-2023 | 08:43 PM
|

Originally Posted by Doug Dooren
I used a wire to cut the urethane - in addition to a forward motion it helps to pull away from the edge of the glass for a smooth cut (if that makes sense), and be sure to keep the wire above (pull away from) the paint surface on the exterior.
I think I found the video you mentioned. Not sure what you mean about using a wire.

Old 07-18-2023 | 06:40 AM

I was referring to the method used to remove the glass - pull knife vs wire. Either works fine - my thinking was there's less chance for glass breakage using a wire.

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (08-22-2023)
Old 07-18-2023 | 01:44 PM
|

Got it. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2023 | 12:05 PM
|
Default Windshield Removed

Ordered a removal kit off Amazon. I think about $20. Use the wire and not the knife. Knife works around sides and top but not enough reach on the bottom. Started with knife and bumped windshield with Phillips head screw on side of knife causing crack on inside glass. Luckily starts at lower DS where an inspection sticker would go and curves down to VIN plate. Live and learn.

Old 08-29-2023 | 02:33 PM
|
Default Windshield in

Went fine. Hints: I used a little contact cement at a few points on the bottom and sides to hold the rubber seal to the glass so it didn’t fall off when fitting in frame. Soapy water to help fit chrome into rubber seal after windshield in. Instead of the string suggested above, I first fit in outer side of chrome into the seal then ran very small screwdriver over inside of chrome to get seal over lip on chrome.

Last edited by pcolapacker; 08-29-2023 at 11:01 PM.