XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Anyone run Nitrous on their XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Anyone run Nitrous on their XJR?

Since I'm planning on slapping a smaller pulley on the SC, and they are known to be inefficient due to heat at higher pressures, I was thinking if throwing a 25hp shot on there as a cooling agent would be a good thing?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 PM

Wow 45 views and no takers? Noone tinkered with NOS on our cars?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Here you can see dyno charts of stock XKR 4.0 with and without 100hp nitrous shot.

http://www.powerhouseautomotive.co.u...Dyno-Chart.jpg

1/4mile ET dropped down 0.8s ( 13.6 - 12.8 ), but the driver told me that he was able to use the shot just after 60mph because of traction problems ( poor street tires and no LSD ). The NOS system is direct port incetion one. You can see some pictures of system there also.

Sam

Old 03-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

My favorite quote on Nitrous is, "Nitrous is like a really hot chick with an STD. You really want to hit it but you know there will be consequences."

That said, I've successfully run Nitrous in both street driven vehicles and boats. In every case the added torque always manages to find the weakest link in the drivetrain. That's the consequence.

Using it as a cooling agent will work to get your intake air temps down and should add a few ponies but have you considered switching to E85 instead? Since you live in the land of corn fuel it should be plentiful and it's benefits in a high performance engine are many.

To better explain, I recently finished a buildup of a 1967 Camaro where I installed a 6.0 Liter LS engine with an Eaton 2300 CC blower and no intercooler. On pump gas premium, the biggest issue was the high intake air temps forced us to use a lazy ignition advance curve to avoid detonation. Switching to E85 had a "cooling" effect and the 12 extra octane points allowed us to tweak the advance curve enough for an 86 RWHP gain over pump gas.

The change over to E85 would be a lot easier and cheaper than a nitrous setup. The trick is to figure out how to deliver 27%-30% more fuel to the engine. The most simple way is to bump up your fuel pressure at the injectors. I'm not sure if the stock fuel pump is up to the task of the higher pressure so that may need to get changed and you'll want to bypass the fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable unit.

Ken

Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sinister 1
My favorite quote on Nitrous is, "Nitrous is like a really hot chick with an STD. You really want to hit it but you know there will be consequences."

That said, I've successfully run Nitrous in both street driven vehicles and boats. In every case the added torque always manages to find the weakest link in the drivetrain. That's the consequence.

Using it as a cooling agent will work to get your intake air temps down and should add a few ponies but have you considered switching to E85 instead? Since you live in the land of corn fuel it should be plentiful and it's benefits in a high performance engine are many.

To better explain, I recently finished a buildup of a 1967 Camaro where I installed a 6.0 Liter LS engine with an Eaton 2300 CC blower and no intercooler. On pump gas premium, the biggest issue was the high intake air temps forced us to use a lazy ignition advance curve to avoid detonation. Switching to E85 had a "cooling" effect and the 12 extra octane points allowed us to tweak the advance curve enough for an 86 RWHP gain over pump gas.

The change over to E85 would be a lot easier and cheaper than a nitrous setup. The trick is to figure out how to deliver 27%-30% more fuel to the engine. The most simple way is to bump up your fuel pressure at the injectors. I'm not sure if the stock fuel pump is up to the task of the higher pressure so that may need to get changed and you'll want to bypass the fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable unit.

Ken
Well, I guess I could swap the o-rings, and install a FMU on a returnline to spike the injectors when the boost kicks in. I really wonder what are the specs on the 2 fuel pumps that the Jag has. I have an E85 gas station 1 block away from my house so you might be onto something. I also wonder if it would allow to spin the stock SC higher. My thoughts were that since E85 requires so much more volume the savings would be minimal if any at all.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Question

Anybody tried, or considered, a nitrous/propane setup? I know the Viper crowd loves the stuff.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:55 PM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Would be interesting to know the specs for the fuel injectors as well... maybe an E85 piggyback system would suffice.