XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Anyone upgrade fender emblems to repeaters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Anyone upgrade fender emblems to repeaters?

I have lost the left fender emblem, and in my quest for the replacement emblem, I came across these... http://www.adamesh.co.uk/jaguar-x300...nses-735-p.asp

Ergo my question... has anyone taken a North American model and retrofitted the repeaters on it? I looked at the factory ROW repeaters, but wasn't wild about introducing more amber, that's when I found these on the Adamesh site. They aren't crystal clear, but are much improved over the stock amber. I know that the left side will need wiring, I don't know about that as there is a dummy wire attached to it's emblem, but this shouldn't be a big deal if I have to wire one or both sides.

Thoughts, experiences?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

MidlifeXJR, No value added by my post, sorry. But, I hope someone chimes in with the answer. I observed wiring connected to emblem when I was installing a missing fender liner (99xj8). Had the same question myself, as one of mine is loose, and will be missing before long. Would be neat if they were plug in and go. Somehow though, I suspect the wires are not hot. Easy enough to check though, if I had the desire to find out. Continue to have other more pressing things to look at.
Ralph

Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Discussion of this issue with helpful suggestions here: http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...8086583-1.html

Old 10-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I would expect it to work, here in the UK we do something similar with the side markers, as they are not a legal requirement they are not plugged up but the wiring is all there just blanked off. You plug a bulb in and it works, there's power and everything!

However in the UK the side repeater is a requirement and maybe not so much in the US, Jaguar in its wisdom doesn't like making different looms for different applications so just simply blanks off anything that is not used.

I would almost put money on it if you were to plug in that side repeater it would work imeadiately.

Good luck

Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Midlife, have a look in your boot, the lenses adamesh are selling are the same as the boot lights, I've done the conversion to clear, but used amber 5smd l.e.d's with a load resistor, immediate on/off and super bright, even in broad daylight. If you can find a scrap yard that has an XJ8, get those lenses, they'll be $10 instead of £60, cheeky monkeys! Oh, and I'll bet the wiring is in place, just have a look behind the inner wing insert, if not, piggyback wiring from the front bumper/fender lights.

The following users liked this post:
Roger77 (01-01-2013)
Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Midlife, have a look in your boot, the lenses adamesh are selling are the same as the boot lights, I've done the conversion to clear, but used amber 5smd l.e.d's with a load resistor, immediate on/off and super bright, even in broad daylight. If you can find a scrap yard that has an XJ8, get those lenses, they'll be $10 instead of £60, cheeky monkeys! Oh, and I'll bet the wiring is in place, just have a look behind the inner wing insert, if not, piggyback wiring from the front bumper/fender lights.
Thanks everyone. Sean/Marcus from the roadfly forum and Sean's post I had come to the conclusion that the trunk lights were the same. The guy from EuroToys did most of the posting about the conversion, then he put a kit together and is selling Amber for $100. That is a bit pricey. Ebay has sellers at around $10 to $15 per unit for the trunk lights. My only issue is getting the wiring connector for the left side. I figure that going to the left bumper indicator is the best place to get the leads to wire it up.

Now I just have to decide if I want to do it!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I would expect it to work, here in the UK we do something similar with the side markers, as they are not a legal requirement they are not plugged up but the wiring is all there just blanked off. You plug a bulb in and it works, there's power and everything!
I want to do this, have got the side marker lights and all. Where is the wiring hidden? I looked but couldn't see on my 2001 XJ8 . I was gonna hack into the side light circuit, but if the wires are there....

Old 10-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I want to do this, have got the side marker lights and all. Where is the wiring hidden? I looked but couldn't see on my 2001 XJ8 . I was gonna hack into the side light circuit, but if the wires are there....
Think we're talking wing indicators here Stu, for the side markers in the bumper I'd do as you say and link side lights. I've installed stainless grills in there myself.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Sean, I've been wanting the side markers working since I bought the car. (I'm a bit of a moth) I've got a pair from US Ebay in amber & our friend in Canada will be sending me the other pair at some point, then I can get them in & lit. Four Ambers mind, as red markers are illeagal in the UK.
Next on my mod list will be a proper Jaguar detachable towbar.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Thanks Sean, I've been wanting the side markers working since I bought the car. (I'm a bit of a moth) I've got a pair from US Ebay in amber & our friend in Canada will be sending me the other pair at some point, then I can get them in & lit. Four Ambers mind, as red markers are illeagal in the UK.
Next on my mod list will be a proper Jaguar detachable towbar.
Oh, no! I've just given an XJ8 towbar kit to a friend, original equipment Jaguar, I'll see if he's still got it if you want.....they were a £1000 from Jaguar!!!!

Old 10-17-2010, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

@ Sean B!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!! PLEASE FIND OUT FOR ME SEAN!!!!! I NEED ONE TO TOW THE HERALD ON IT'S TRAILER!!!! DESPERATE IN FACT!!!!!! SEE IF HE WILL SELL IT TO ME AND ASK HOW MUCH!!!! Thanks Matey, S.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

i upgraded mine...i bought the repeaters off ebay...the right side had the wire connector to the emblem and plugged right in to the light and works fine...the left one did not, so running the cable is on my project list...

Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by pdog2000
i upgraded mine...i bought the repeaters off ebay...the right side had the wire connector to the emblem and plugged right in to the light and works fine...the left one did not, so running the cable is on my project list...
Did you do the amber (euro) repeaters or use the trunk lights?

Old 10-22-2010, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MidlifeXJR
Did you do the amber (euro) repeaters or use the trunk lights?
looking at your silver car Mid, I'd go with amber and match up the front end lighting, the clear looks good on dark colours, just my pref.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:53 AM

looking at your silver car Mid, I'd go with amber and match up the front end lighting, the clear looks good on dark colours, just my pref.
I'm undecided. On one hand the amber creates the symmetry of the amber indicator on the bumper. On the other hand, the amber is quite glaring against the lighter color background as well as dated. Another bonus for the clear trunk light route is that they are considerably cheaper. I am leaning a bit towards the amber as I can't find clear bumper indicator lenses, and I am generally someone that wants symmetry.

There is a debate going on in the XK section where you have the purists asking why anyone would change the look of there car other than maybe a tasteful wheel upgrade, and you have the other side of the camp on making all available changes to modernize the vehicle with changes like this.

I will decide in the next week or two as I continue my fleabay search

Last edited by MidlifeXJR; 10-22-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

I've hunted for over a year for clear bumper indicators, they make 'em for the XK, but not our XJ's, missed a trick there I think.
I know what your saying about the glare, the noticeable thing about the clear lenses, is the match on the ali wheel at the front corner.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

i just bought the wire i need to connect my left repeater to the left front turn signal...will let you guys know how it goes...need to figure out the best way to get the wire up there...

Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

This is just a bit off subject but definitely the right place to seek the answer. How do I tighten up the fender badge? I just picked up a really clean 2001 XJ8 for my wife and the passenger side badge likes to droop. I'm new to Jag's so I've just not had the time to get familiar with all it's pieces and parts. Does it press into the fender with spring tabs or is there some kind of back brace that I can tighten up. If It tighten's up from the back - How do I get to it without having to pull the fender?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bluerdg
Does it press into the fender with spring tabs or is there some kind of back brace that I can tighten up. If It tighten's up from the back - How do I get to it without having to pull the fender?
Spring tabs, pull it out and ease the tabs back and snap it back in, easy.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Spring tabs, pull it out and ease the tabs back and snap it back in, easy.
Thanks, I'd hate to have pulled on it and made it worse or broken tabs.

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrade fender emblems to repeaters?