XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Anyone upgrade fender emblems to repeaters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 05:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did this mod using the trunk lights. Mine is a 2000 xjr, titanium. I think it looks nice. Gives it a more updated look.... the white of the lense looks decent even with the amber bumper lights... it matches all the chrome more anyway

Pretty easy gig to do... just some slight customizing if you're going to use the trunk lights. Also, there's no wiring on the drivers side. The passenger side plugs right in. But the driver's side there's nothing for the lights, so you'll have to wire it to the bumper indicator. The easiest, for me anyway, was to wire it through the fender well... just pull down the rubber moulding slightly and feed the wire back to front. Access to the inside fender (where the marker light hole is) is really easy. There's one thumb nut on the rear portion of the fender well. Take that off and wiggle the plastic sheet out of the way.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by technetx
I just did this mod using the trunk lights. Mine is a 2000 xjr, titanium. I think it looks nice. Gives it a more updated look.... the white of the lense looks decent even with the amber bumper lights... it matches all the chrome more anyway

Pretty easy gig to do... just some slight customizing if you're going to use the trunk lights. Also, there's no wiring on the drivers side. The passenger side plugs right in. But the driver's side there's nothing for the lights, so you'll have to wire it to the bumper indicator. The easiest, for me anyway, was to wire it through the fender well... just pull down the rubber moulding slightly and feed the wire back to front. Access to the inside fender (where the marker light hole is) is really easy. There's one thumb nut on the rear portion of the fender well. Take that off and wiggle the plastic sheet out of the way.
Pictures would be greatly appreciated! I am going to take out a trunk light and put it in place on the drivers side to see what it looks like before I buy a set.

What did you use for the bulb socket / holder for the drivers side? Also, did you use the chrome tipped bulbs so it doesn't look like an egg yolk in the lens?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 PM

@MidLife

I literally used the lights in the trunk Base and all! (My trunk lights are going to be replaced with an LED getup I'm working on.) The bulbs are clear, so it pretty much looks like all other marker lights on other cars...

Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks pretty sweet Tech. I think your car is just the right color to where it blends very nicely. I think the color would look dull on the side of our Mistrial Metallic Jag, and I don't want amber on the side of the car.

I was looking at ours and I really wish there was a way to backlight the jag emblem that is on there now...leaving the cat emblem and maybe have the light emit from around the edge or perhaps shining out from behind the cat image itself.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:00 PM

Crosbo, LOL, your thoughts on the cat emblem lighting was what I was going to go with. I looked at the part over and over again, dremel in hand, but it was gonna take some serious mod to get it to where I had envisioned it in my head! I'll probably work on it now that I have an alternative already in place.

Now it's time to convert the amber lenses on the bumpers to a similar clear/frosted material... back to home depot I go I'm thinking a sheet of diffused lamp cover (like the ones that go over flourescent often), cut to shape, molded in oven, epoxy to lamp base, done

Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Now it's time to convert the amber lenses on the bumpers to a similar clear/frosted material... back to home depot I go I'm thinking a sheet of diffused lamp cover (like the ones that go over flourescent often), cut to shape, molded in oven, epoxy to lamp base, done
I've got to see that!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

That bundle of wires that emerges from the rubber plug in the inner fender just behind the ABS area, is that the LF3 harness that contains all of the turn signal/side marker wiring?

I am trying to get access to the wires for the turn signals, and the side markers to do a full flashing+running light system consisting of the directionals, side marker and repeaters.

Hiding LF3 in the fender was neat, but a pain for modification.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

I am your answer, buddy. I did it with OEM Euro-Spec side marker from UK. the Driver side(US/LDH) needs to be wire and you need the side market with the harness and passenger side, is just plug in situation.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vincent661983
I am your answer, buddy. I did it with OEM Euro-Spec side marker from UK. the Driver side(US/LDH) needs to be wire and you need the side market with the harness and passenger side, is just plug in situation.
Well, where did you plug in the far end of the left hand side marker? One end goes to the side marker bulb holder, and the other end plugs in at ...?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

I will try to upload the picture tomorrow

Old 11-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

here is what I did

Attached Thumbnails Anyone upgrade fender emblems to repeaters?-img-20111108-00026.jpg   Anyone upgrade fender emblems to repeaters?-img-20111108-00027.jpg   Anyone upgrade fender emblems to repeaters?-img-20111108-00025.jpg   Anyone upgrade fender emblems to repeaters?-img-20111108-00028.jpg  
Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

The question was where does the left hand side harness extension physically plug into the main harness.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

you need to bring some extra wire from the end of the left harness to connect with the signal module. I did not do it my own but that is like a 5-minute work by my tech.

I also use the 2825 LED light, but keep it in mind that you have the get the flat-head type because I got taller 2825 LED initially and I could not insert it long way in.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

@MidLife

I literally used the lights in the trunk Base and all! (My trunk lights are going to be replaced with an LED getup I'm working on.) The bulbs are clear, so it pretty much looks like all other marker lights on other cars...
I have the trunk lights, and I am trying to mount them in the fenders. How did you secure them in the hole? I had to break the tabs on the sides off so they would fit and it looks like there should be some kind of metal clip on the bottom.
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 11-22-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:17 PM

Bumping this up for an answer on how to attach the trunk lights to the fenders.

Hey, if you used bailing wire, chewing gum and duct tape, just say so! LOL!

Vector

Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member

Now that you've broken off the tabs, you'll have to be creative.

method 1:

- clean the sheetmetal
- clean the lamps
- mask the front surface and edges of the lamps
- mask around the lip
- apply silicone rtv to the sheetmetal lip and the matching contact surface on the lamp
- place lamp in position
- tape over lamp to hold in position
- let stand 24 hours
- remove all tape

method 2:

- pull fender liners for access
- clean lamps and interior sheet metal surface
- tape lamps into position
- glob silicone in correct places to hold lamp
- let cure 24 hours

either way you will have to change bulbs from behind instead of pulling out the lamp

Old 11-29-2011, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the info, plums!

But....I only broke the tabs off one light, I still have three with tabs.

I guess I should notch out the holes in the fender to accept the tabs on the left and right side?????
Vector

Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation Stop!

Originally Posted by Vector
But....I only broke the tabs off one light, I still have three with tabs.

I guess I should notch out the holes in the fender to accept the tabs on the left and right side?????
STOP!

That would be really not good for the fender.

Can you not insert the tabs on one side and then push against them to let the other ones slip in like the way the original emblems work? Whatever you do, mask off the paint while you are working in case you slip.

Or PM technetx who is the member who said he did it with the trunk lights.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Default Won't fit

I did PM technetx, no response yet.

The trunk lights won't fit in the fender with the side tabs on them, they are way too wide. They have small tabs on the top, but nothing to grip to on the bottom, looks like a bottom metal clip is left out of the assembly when they are used for trunk lights.

??

Vector

Last edited by Vector; 11-29-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vector
The trunk lights won't fit in the fender with the side tabs on them, they are way too wide. They have small tabs on the top, but nothing to grip to on the bottom, looks like a bottom metal clip is left out of the assembly when they are used for trunk lights.
The factory orange ones have a metal clip.

Why not do the orange ones. They will match the orange front side markers and turn signals.

The orange would look nice on a black car.

The factory ones can be found regularly on ebay.co.uk if you search on "jaguar xj8 side repeater". They are different on each side in that the tiny molded letters will be upside down on one side if you mount two of the same with the clips in the right position.

Buy new ones as they come with the bulb holder and new bulb.

Make sure you use a seller that is willing to ship to the US. Since this is only an appearance item you can use the cheapest shipping option to save money.

You can also just plug the number in at one of the sponsoring dealers online sites and buy them in the US.

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrade fender emblems to repeaters?