XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Appraise this car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016 | 12:18 AM
|
Default Appraise this car.

Looking for a rough estimate on this car, let me know what you think...

2000 Jaguar XJ8 56,000 ORIGINAL miles owned and cared for by a Jaguar enthusiast.
This car has been garage kept its entire life until December 2014 when i purchased it.
Minor dings and scratches outside.
headliner drooping in back only.
Leather in great shape.

-Rebuilt transmission still UNDER 24K MILE NATIONWIDE WARRANTY with AAMCO.
-New timing kit (updated version)
-New gasket and seal kit
-New updated thermostat housing
-Switched to synthetic oil
-New fuel injectors
-New rotors front and back
-New performance brake pads front and back
-New tires, still in great condition.
-New alternator last week.
All work done with Aamco, comes with complete organized receipts for all repairs.

Attached Thumbnails Appraise this car.-jaggy.jpg   Appraise this car.-jag-1.jpg   Appraise this car.-jag-2.jpg   Appraise this car.-jag-3.jpg   Appraise this car.-jag-4.jpg  

Old 11-04-2016 | 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Yours is in great condition and low miles. Sadly that barely matters. You can likely fetch $7-8k if you take MUCH better photos and swap the headliner before selling (nothing screams old car/person like visible sagging, lol.)

Old 11-05-2016 | 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

I'd take it by an upholstery shop and ask them if its possible to clean up those seats. Like maybe a good leather treatment or dye job. That could get you another grand for up to a couple hundred bucks of work (if they do it) or at least make your reasoning for standing on a price.
As for a guestimate, red is sellers color, and reasonably I agree with vdpnyc the way it sits....buuuuut, your not selling a lot of them, your only selling one and only need one person willing to buy it at the price you ask. If an upholsterer can help you and you sell all the new adds hard, get the engine bay detailed if not already (shows attention to detail and care), put in a new air filter if not already (didn't see it on the list) and I'd ask for 9500. I'd be sure to say "must see to appreciate affordable luxury, especially if your a Jag enthusiast".
When I pop my hood on my car, most folks jaws drop as to how clean it is and start looking at the rest of it harder. Its clean from top to bottom and I describe it as "dry", no weeping gaskets or drips. I've replaced that curling Emissions Control sticker since, you can get them for $5 from Welsh Enterprises.

Had the interior redone about 3 years ago.

Last edited by Highhorse; 11-05-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2016 | 08:45 PM

My question is this: Why does a car with such low mileage have such a big repair record to major parts on the car?
Why would a car with 54/m need a tranny, rotors, timing chain, injectors, and alternator?
That's VERY low mileage on these major parts to have been replaced.

It's a beautiful car, but the service record you described seems strange on some of the items.

Last edited by Rpach10115; 11-09-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2016 | 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rpach10115
My question is this: Why does a car with such low mileage have such a big repair record to major parts on the car?
Besides of perhaps the injectors, I do not see anything strange, just (preventive) maintenance and repair.
The transmission can go any mileage, as can an alternator on a 15 yr old car.

The question should be more why to sell such a well kept car after owning it less than 2 yrs...

Old 11-10-2016 | 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

How would one clog or damage all 8 fuel injectors, need a new head gasket and burn out a transmission in 54k miles?? That's really abnormal for an x308 - plausible for some other infamous lemon vehicles, but not this model of jag. Injectors can be cleaned, and many members here have 150-200k+ on their original transmissions + engines without changing the head gaskets. That's a red flag - either they were replaced to diagnose/fix something else (mechanics were clueless or intentionally took naive owner for a ride) or the car had some external cause of damage (flooding, unusual type of accident, etc.)

If the paint appears "garage kept" after 17 years on the road then maybe it's a repaint and body work was done, an accident could do physical damage all those parts.

Last edited by vdpnyc; 11-10-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-10-2016 | 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

I just turned 130k on mine with no trans fluid change. But, I do have it on the list of things to do, their shop is busy.
I do have to say for some of the other stuff, a mechanic may have been throwing "stuff" against the wall chasing a ghost or he may have just decided to go with them on personal preference....I'm known to do that.
I don't see where he says new head gasket VDP. He states new seals and gaskets, which I ascertain to go with the timing set installed. I had to change my thermostat housing at 90k when I got her, it was one of the leakers.

Old 11-10-2016 | 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I'd take it by an upholstery shop and ask them if its possible to clean up those seats. Like maybe a good leather treatment or dye job. That could get you another grand for up to a couple hundred bucks of work (if they do it) or at least make your reasoning for standing on a price.
As for a guestimate, red is sellers color, and reasonably I agree with vdpnyc the way it sits....buuuuut, your not selling a lot of them, your only selling one and only need one person willing to buy it at the price you ask. If an upholsterer can help you and you sell all the new adds hard, get the engine bay detailed if not already (shows attention to detail and care), put in a new air filter if not already (didn't see it on the list) and I'd ask for 9500. I'd be sure to say "must see to appreciate affordable luxury, especially if your a Jag enthusiast".
When I pop my hood on my car, most folks jaws drop as to how clean it is and start looking at the rest of it harder. Its clean from top to bottom and I describe it as "dry", no weeping gaskets or drips. I've replaced that curling Emissions Control sticker since, you can get them for $5 from Welsh Enterprises.

Had the interior redone about 3 years ago.
How much was charged for the interior to be redone? Looks like a new VDP/SC

Old 11-10-2016 | 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

The S/C is original, I just replaced the tensioners and chains back in Feb, I tend to get a little **** on cleanliness. Some friends of mine just borrowed her for a wedding, they liked it better than their new Impala.
The seats ran $800, he replaced 4 panels.... replaced front center and sanded right panel on passenger, ....then replaced center front panel, center seat, center back driver side, sanded left & right lower panels. I asked him to put a bit more padding in the center, that's why it doesn't blouse with looseness.
That price included dying the whole interior to match including the steering wheel.
I may as well show you the back, no panels replaced...in the center where the arm rest comes down...apparently someone spilt a red slurpee. It was stained red where the top and bottom meet and he managed to clean most of it out and die it without notice. To this day it looks just like this.

Last edited by Highhorse; 11-10-2016 at 06:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
omgimali (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016 | 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

The S/C is original, I just replaced the tensioners and chains back in Feb, I tend to get a little **** on cleanliness. Some friends of mine just borrowed her for a wedding, they liked it better than their new Impala.
The seats ran $800, he replaced 4 panels.... replaced front center and sanded right panel on passenger, ....then replaced center front panel, center seat, center back driver side, sanded left & right lower panels. I asked him to put a bit more padding in the center, that's why it doesn't blouse with looseness.
That price included dying the whole interior to match including the steering wheel.
I may as well show you the back, no panels replaced...in the center where the arm rest comes down...apparently someone spilt a red slurpee. It was stained red where the top and bottom meet and he managed to clean most of it out and die it without notice. To this day it looks just like this.

looks good! Good Price to!

Old 11-10-2016 | 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

I went to 3 places before I found this guy. All the others wanted to take the so-called easy way and recover front and back for $2500. The only thing he couldn't do was keep the Lima bean green piping. No one notices they were died and I don't tell anyone....shhhhhh.

Old 11-10-2016 | 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

haha being honest i didnt even notice that there the piping was painted over haha/

Old 11-10-2016 | 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

I said it before, but just repeat, these cars have wonderful, timeless interiors, and Highhorse's VDP is a beautiful maintained example of that.
Name me any other car of this age where the interior looks so fresh, up to date, and without the sad looking plastics, very very few ....

That price included dying the whole interior to match including the steering wheel
Do you know if he sprayed or brushed the dye?

Old 11-10-2016 | 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Sprayed...he used a mini aerosol jar attachment. I've used these myself for my contracting, they're cheap and easy to get. Its a white aerosol can with red graphics, standard push spray nozzle and has a small baby food type jar for the paint. This small device allowed him to be mobile and get into small places and be precise...no hoses to hamper the process.

Found it....
https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/produ...f458e7_600.jpg
...again, cheaper...
https://www.amazon.com/Preval-0225-2...+paint+sprayer
...again, with nifty handle sprayer...
https://www.amazon.com/Preval-0227-P...+paint+sprayer

Last edited by Highhorse; 11-10-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2016 | 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Don't they just use flex paint for the easy way out? I admit, I've seen only a few seat repairs and when it came time to applying a color, it was always sprayed on like as if it were spray paint to me. Any feedback welcome.

Btw, just to keep this high jacked thread still going.... I'm betting on $6500 for the ride. That's my appraisal.