XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 S Type R

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I've wanted to add aux inputs to my 2003 S Type R for a while but keep hitting a wall.

First, I read about the "butcher the CD changer" method. But as I understand that, on the 2003 Alpine system, the fiber optic cabling makes that a no-go. Can someone confirm that's true or let me know if you've installed on a 2003 S Type R using that method?

Now it appears that the versatile link KCA-410C may be an alternate solution. And in this case, it appears some of you may be trying to make it work on the same model I have. This seems to have the advantage that it's an easier install, correct?

I am looking forward to hearing from anyone that's worked on the 2003 S Type R premium system to add aux inputs. Good luck with your projects, please keep us posted!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Cyan....I have just removed my Alpine cd changer and power amp from my 2003 S-type and taken a good look at it. I even pulled the pc board out of the changer and I can tell you that without a detailed schematic there's no way to find the line outputs on that board. I don't know what a KCA-410C is so maybe you could clue me in on that. My next plan after I get the unit back in the car and get it working again is to try an FM transmitter that I have that opens the wire to the outside antenna and inserts the carrier signal directly into the system. There is an Antenna booster which I think is located in the trunk where the connection could be made. I used this transmitter on a couple of other cars and never had any interferance from outside radio stations because it opens the antenna line when in use. I will post my results and maybe you can let me know about the KCA-410C......Thanks............Dan

Old 03-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cyan.
I have a 2000 XKR, no fibre optics on that, Have you actually located a KCA-420C? I tried for a couple I saw on ebay but got outbid each time, they are fetching quite a good premium. I am not sure if they can switch optical though, I thought they were for AI net only.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

KCA-410C is an AInet switcher to add additional inputs to compatible 2001 and newer Alpine head units. (doubt Jag head unit compatability, due to custom AInet commands...) It does not have fiber capability.

KCA-420i is an iPod adapter for 2004+ Alpine AInet compatible receivers. Same concerns about compatibility, and no fiber.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:34 AM

QuadManic, thanks for the extra info, I can confirm the KCA-420i does not work with the head unit in a 2000XKR. plug it in and the HU locks up solid, no buttons work, cannot change anything, display goes blank. phone does not switch in, satnav does not switch in.
anybody want to buy a KCA-420i, used once.... ha ha

Old 03-20-2010, 08:21 AM

RESULT.....
Gentlemen. I have a result of sorts.
I now have working Ipod (gen 5 ipod nano) hardwired into my 2000 XKR. Cannot get it to operate from head unit switching, volume etc is OK, just cannot do tracks but its better then cassette adaptors of these FM radio things, CD quality sound. And the CD still works, Turn Ipod off 10 secs later its CD playing again.
In the car I had factory fitted standard radio/CD, I didn’t take the Premium otion. I also have the factory fitted Sat-Nav (that’s next for an update).
I removed the surround from the CD/Sat-Nav DVD in the boot. This cover is not fixed in run your fingers round the edge, it comes out.
The AI-Net cable from the head Unit is hard wired into the sat-nav player first then a cable comes out of that and passes a plug/socket into the DVD.
I broke in at this plug/socket. I got a PIE Alp/AI-Aux box. Crutchfields have them but wont ship outside North America, I found a place in Germany who shipped it next day. http://www.maxxcount.de/maxxcount/cms/products/AUX-Umschalter-für-Apine-Ai-NET.aspx
You will find the connectors are wrong sense. Where you need male you have female on both sides. AI-Net cables male to male are all over ebay search for AI-Net cable.
Connect this cable between the CD output female and the female on the Alp box.
Now on the flying lead of the Alp Box you have a male and you need a female. I found an extension lead with a male & female on it again ebay search for ALPINE Ai-NET EXTENSION MALE TO FEMALE
Now its cutting time. You need to cut the male connector from the Alp box flying lead and connect the female from this new lead. The rest goes in the bin. Be sure to get each cable connected correctly.
Then find a RCA to Ipod cable (ebay again) and you are in business. I ran this cable through and have the ipod in my ashtray. Below the phone in the cubbyhole is enough space to wire in a ciggy lighter socket so you can fix a permanent Ipod charger and keep the normal ciggy socket free for the wifes Nokia.
If you want any more info and I have some pics just ping me.
Thanks to those who went before me, and whos ideas I have pinched. QuadManic, Sarc among others who I have forgotten.

Last edited by LuxXKR; 03-20-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling & missed the thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by LuxXKR:
dsetter (05-01-2011), Nce Kty (02-20-2011)
Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SARC
Hi Jon

Based on all of this hindsight, I'd bet you could get this switcher, and connect it in the trunk between the CDChanger and the amp and it would work. I don't know if you're a gambling man but I'd love for someone to try this out. I have already butchered (and it's all working) so no reason to try it, but its been bugging me for ages and it would be nice to get some closure !

In the past I have tried exactly that. It didn't work. Not sure why. My best guess is that the male and female connectors need to be switched.

In the end I made my own solution (to use for bluetooth integration). See this link (includes pics):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=35912&page=3

Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@JustNiz

Thanks for the negative confirmation. I think it goes to show we STILL don't really know all the ins and outs of these darned Alpine stereo units !

I saw your XK solution, looks great.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clearing up a few AiNet misconceptions.

I have read this and some other threads regarding the Alpine audio system used in the XJ8 98-03 models, and would just like to clear up a few points about the AiNet bus used in these cars.

I have done a lot of work on the AiNet over the last couple of years while designing and building a number of interfaces to allow ipod integration into this system and also to allow standard Alpine units to be used with the Jag HU. I am the author of the document that Quadmaniac refered to earlier in this thread.

(1) AiNet and Mbus (as used in the earler Jags prior to 98) are not compatable, they are electricaly different and the communication protocol is different, so anything that applies to the Mbus in the XJ6 ,XJ40 etc does not apply to the AiNet bus in later models.

(2) The AiNet cable used in the Jag is the same as that used in an Alpine system. It is not wired differently. The difference between the Jag system and the Alpine is in the communications protocol and standard Alpine units will NOT work with the standard Jag head Unit.

(3) This also applies to any device attached to the AiNet bus that looks at the command packets on the bus, if designed for standard Alpine, it will not work on the Jag system. If the device only switches the audio lines and is controlled by an external switch (or other means) will work fine as it is not reading the AiNet commands.

I have come to these conclusions following extensive investigation on a number of Alpine and Jaguar units, none of this information has come from Alpine or Jaguar.

I hope this is helpful.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi, not sure who might be following this thread, but wanted to report on my sound issues with the PIE AI/AUX switcher as they seem the same as some others have had with some versions and maybe this is why.

Situation:
I tried the PIE AUX switcher on my '02 XJR with CD/Nav/Premium sound and while the CD worked, when it switched to the AUX source, I only got weak and distorted sounds.
I tried the device in line as follows.
  • AINET cable to Head unit (Ideal as it would allow easy interface to bluetooth audio streaming from T605) - CD OK, AUX NO GO (CD Plays still)
  • NAV to AMP CD OK, AUX NO GO (CD plays still)
  • CD to Amp CD OK, AUX weak and distorted

As others have commented, I confirmed that the insert point needs to be inline between the CD and the Amp so that the NAV to head audio and CD/AUX audio would be routed and muted properly as most f the audio goes through the AMP and the AI NET is for control, but I still had to fix the AUX AUDIO that was distorted and weak.

INSIGHT!
When I plugged the AUX switcher into the AINET line, I was using the plugs and cables that fitted (M>F, F>M), Jag cable to PIE AI socket and PIE AI cable to Jag, but when looking closer, I saw that the Jag AINET cable was plugging into the AUX switcher OUTPUT socket and the AUX cable is the output signal.
This is reversed, and means that the AUX audio was being switched to the CD rather than to the AMP.

To fix this I would have needed two AI M-F adapters but these are not so easy to find. Instead, I did a little surgery on the PIE AI switcher to reverse the AI output and inputs. This involved cutting two traces and running two wires to reverse the Audio from socket to plug.

Now the AI Socket was an input and the AI flying lead was the output and could connect in line correctly and switch correctly.

Now, the audio levels were fine, the AUX switched and all was quiet with no whine or distortion.

The device still has to go in the trunk, but I will run the RCA leads out now forward to the console and the T605 bluetooth, not so much fun, but I think OK.

Hope this may help someone and I can supply photos if desired of the PI AUX mod. You would need to be able to solder to some small circuit pads.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:17 AM

Can you post a model number and/or link for the PIE switcher?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:41 AM
The following users liked this post:
QuadManiac (05-01-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
Can you post a model number and/or link for the PIE switcher?
This is what you do:

I used that PIE adaptor a few months ago with success on my 2000 VDP with premium sound and no NAV. You HAVE to put the AUX input between the headunit and the amp. The sound will play when you press radio instead of when you press CD. When you play your ipod or etc, the AUX switcher will switch to the ipod and when you stop your ipod, it switches back to the sound from the radio. The sound quality is good. It was plug and play and literally took about 90 seconds. No buying other wires or hacking anything.

With the PIE switcher, make sure your AUX signal is reasonly strong or the pie adapter might not detect it and it wont switch to AUX input.

It might also work if you connect the pie adaptor directly behind the headunit in to the cable that run to the amp and just select radio to play via the AUX input. I dont see why that wouldnt work either.

Basically on the premium system, the headunit acts as an external audiosource (the radio) in a similar way to the cd changer.

Now I just have to get a stereo bluetooth adapter and throw it in the trunk with the AUX input for music and handsfree, and used my phone's mic for the phone.

Last edited by burmaz; 05-01-2011 at 04:55 PM.
dsetter (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Default Well Like Duh!

Well like really!. Isn't that what makes this forum great!
The AINET is actually an audio out from the head unit when in radio mode.

I cannot wait for the weekend to try that and reverse the mod I did as that would make the connections oh so much easier up at the head unit.

Many thanks for the other avenue to check out. Even as it is, the iPOD does switch the PIE unit well, except for extended quite passages.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dsetter

Well like really!. Isn't that what makes this forum great!
The AINET is actually an audio out from the head unit when in radio mode.

I cannot wait for the weekend to try that and reverse the mod I did as that would make the connections oh so much easier up at the head unit.

Many thanks for the other avenue to check out. Even as it is, the iPOD does switch the PIE unit well, except for extended quite passages.
This would present a bit of an annoyance to me, as I use my AUX in for my Sirius sat radio tuner... so when under a freeway overpass, when my Siruis blanks, the PIE would switch to stock radio, perhaps at a higher volume? Hmm, guess I could leave the stock radio tuned to a frequency that has no station. Overall, I like the idea better than butchering the CD - although I've already done this.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 PM

This would present a bit of an annoyance to me, as I use my AUX in for my Sirius sat radio tuner... so when under a freeway overpass, when my Siruis blanks, the PIE would switch to stock radio, perhaps at a higher volume? Hmm, guess I could leave the stock radio tuned to a frequency that has no station. Overall, I like the idea better than butchering the CD - although I've already done this.
In my experience, the radio is at a lower volume than my ipod. The PIE is not very sensitive for the input though. My cell phone, which puts out a somewhat weak singal through its headphone jack will not cause the PIE to switch. A ipod is fine though.

I'm not 100% sure if plugging in the PIE behind the headunit would work, since I haven't tried, but it makes a lot of sense that it would though.

If someone wants to try MAX integration, they could do the PIE methond I mentioned above. But since the PIE unit requires the radio to be activated, one could actually use one of those bluetooth ipod kits that outputs the artist and track name via RDS (b/c using the PIE requires the radio to be displayed anyway), and plug the ipod audio output into the PIE switcher. Boom! ipod integration. Set the ipod (if its a ipod touch) to shake to shuffle the track, and you have the lack of builtin controls reasonably dealt with too.

I personally havent gotten around to anything other than just plugging it in between the headunit and amp in the trunk.

Last edited by burmaz; 05-03-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by burmaz
In my experience, the radio is at a lower volume than my ipod. The PIE is not very sensitive for the input though. My cell phone, which puts out a somewhat weak singal through its headphone jack will not cause the PIE to switch. A ipod is fine though.
Originally Posted by dsetter

Even as it is, the iPOD does switch the PIE unit well, except for extended quiet passages.

Guys- Feed your audio source through a PAC LD-10 Preamp (Amazon.com: Peripheral/PAC LD10 Line Driver Signal Booster: Electronics ) into the PIE ALP / AI-AUX. Low volume audio trigger problem solved.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:31 PM

Moderator, can you make my post #53 a sticky? This thread has had a lot of views and the solution to the AUX input issue took me hours of sorting through conflicting solutions on this forum. #53 could have people a lot of time.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

dsetter's solution in post number 50 is actually also extremely useful for those without premium audio.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:26 AM

I'd love to see a sticky in which all can share their unique solutions to the AUX in issue.

sitkom (03-06-2012)

Quick Reply: Aux In Through CD Changer Cable