XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
This would present a bit of an annoyance to me, as I use my AUX in for my Sirius sat radio tuner... so when under a freeway overpass, when my Siruis blanks, the PIE would switch to stock radio, perhaps at a higher volume? Hmm, guess I could leave the stock radio tuned to a frequency that has no station. Overall, I like the idea better than butchering the CD - although I've already done this.
I actually think that the Head AI out will also carry the audio in case of cassette operation so I am thinking that as I never really use a cassette, instead of the radio mode, I could go to cassette mode and stream from satellite or Pandora through the bluetooth AUX through the PIE into the AI when in either Radio or cassette mode. Cassette would not have any issues if the audio dropped out.
May require an endless loop cassette, or extended pause mode?

Will know this weekend. Will get photos and share if it all works.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:06 AM

I have installed the PIE unit up at the head unit of my XJR with Nav and Alpine premium and as shipped, the PIE unit is not wired for direct plug and play. The cable is audio out and need to be In so I had to modify the PIE AI/AUX unit as detailed here.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e2/#post347463

Now CD works on CD, and AUX works on Radio or Tape, so if I have a dummy tape in, then any audio silent passages stay silent.

Streaming audio works through the T605 bluetooth install.
Nearly modern.
I should have installed a 12V outlet in the Center console for charging, maybe next weekend.

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable-dsci0075.jpg Aux In Through CD Changer Cable-dsci0063.jpg
Original unit that we need to modify

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable-dsci0062.jpg
Extending Audio cable leads

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable-dsci0061.jpg
Cut track and add extensions from the capacitors.

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable-dsci0059.jpg Aux In Through CD Changer Cable-dsci0060.jpg
Top and bottom views. Not pretty, but it works.

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable-dsci0064.jpg
In place testing.

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable-dsci0072.jpg
3.5mm inlet in console.

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable-dsci0071.jpg
iPod and bluetooth phone streaming all working on radio or tape mode.

Cheers.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what about the Alpine systems with Fiber optic connections?

Looks like some good work being done here to find a solution. I hope this works for many of us trying to find an efficient method. However, I don't know if this applies to my situation. I think Cyan has the same issue too. My amp and CD connect to the HU via fiber optic cable. Is there a similar solution for my situation? I have a 2003 S-type with the premium Alpine system, CD changer, no NAV. All audio connections appear to be Fiber optic.
Thank you for any help.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dsetter
I have installed the PIE unit up at the head unit of my XJR with Nav and Alpine premium and as shipped, the PIE unit is not wired for direct plug and play. The cable is audio out and need to be In so I had to modify the PIE AI/AUX unit as detailed here.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e2/#post347463

Now CD works on CD, and AUX works on Radio or Tape, so if I have a dummy tape in, then any audio silent passages stay silent.

Streaming audio works through the T605 bluetooth install.
Nearly modern.
I should have installed a 12V outlet in the Center console for charging, maybe next weekend.

Attachment 10147 Attachment 10148
Original unit that we need to modify

Attachment 10149
Extending Audio cable leads

Attachment 10150
Cut track and add extensions from the capacitors.

Attachment 10151 Attachment 10152
Top and bottom views. Not pretty, but it works.

Attachment 10154
In place testing.

Attachment 10153
3.5mm inlet in console.

Attachment 10155
iPod and bluetooth phone streaming all working on radio or tape mode.

Cheers.

Your PIE unit is different than mine. Mine was direct plug and play (took about 90 seconds) with an audio input. Maybe ours are different part #?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by burmaz
Your PIE unit is different than mine. Mine was direct plug and play (took about 90 seconds) with an audio input. Maybe ours are different part #?
I wish mine was so simple, Was yours a similar unit, AINET bus plug/socket and RCA input leads? There is another Alpine bus plug that is larger, M Bus I think used on earlier years?

Old 05-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Default Ai net + pie

Gents,

I've gotten a lot of good information off the above posts. I have a CarPC setup, which outputs red + white phono, vie a PIE switcher, connected to the Nav/Radio side of things at the moment... (I have a 2001MY XKR with premium sound). I think I am correct that in summary of all the above:

Jaguar with premium sound solutions:
  • Use PIE switcher box plugged into series with Nav unit - press Radio on head unit to hear audio (my current setup)
  • Reverse PIE switcher connections to connect to CD line instead. Will require empty CD cartridge to play

As described above the problem I have (have liaised with WhiteXKR on this) was that on quiet passages (Money for Nothing intro for example), the signal is not strong enough to pull the switcher across = radio static instead... I have tried boosting it using both the Windows and Riderunner software mixer volume and preamp controls and an LD10 pre-amp line driver... While I managed to get the switcher to stay across with a high enough amp setting, it was then distorted on louder passages or different albums. This may be more of a problem for PC output vs IPod, but it appears that the 'drop out' phenomenon is common for all users...

I was thinking of reversing the PIE connections as described, but there is of course a risk of wrecking the PIE box and additionally, by my understanding, it switches when a phono signal above the threshold is detected, but does not compare the strength of the signal with the other input (be it radio or CD). The issue with this is, that it would still therefore drop out on quiet passages. The only way round this I can see, is as described earlier in the thread, inserting a male-female cable from AMP>Male (new cable)>Female(new cable)>CD blue cable (male)>Cd player. The CD player is therefore still connected at this stage and therefore AI net won't kill sound... Am I correct therefore that you then splice this new cable (avoiding cutting into the existing wiring loom) and feed a simple red/white phono input from computer/Ipod into this cable... in effect ending up with a Y-cable, which passes through all from the CD player (keeping AI net live), but the red and white, which is fed in via a splice into the custom cable to feed in the audio... This would give a permanently live feed to your PC/IPod audio source (with no cd changer audio - but just remove custom cable to restore original system) and no need to buy a relatively expensive switcher...

Comments?

Last edited by mistral_blue; 05-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap I'm so confused. First off, you guys are awesome for figuring all this out. I have a 99 XJR with the Harman Kardon system. What would be the easiest way to install an AUX cable and which posts should I take a look at? Thanks!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:59 PM

@THEhomelessone

The easiest one that i found to do was the cd changer hack...there is a couple of ways to do it, open her up and solder in ur wires, or there is also a switch plug that u can purchase that will plug into the wire running from the headunit to the cd changer. I just opened up the cd changer, added in the wires I needed that were the sound out put coming off of the changer itself, and adding in like an AUX adapter i got from radio shack. Heres the adapter

Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by burmaz
Mine was direct plug and play (took about 90 seconds) with an audio input. Maybe ours are different part #?
What's the part# of your unit? You have the premium system without nav, right?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:09 AM

I installed my pie ai/aux yesterday, after all possible mods (reversing in/out, re-connecting the audio signal ground). I tried it between the CD changer and teh amp. Switches fine (well, with the usual level caveat... the PAC LD10 will do the trick...).

One problem still remains: the right channel is awefully lower than the right, and teh ipod sound lack dynamic (sounds like either there is a phase inversion, or the subwoofer doesn't work).

Anyone had the same problem?

Old 01-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mistral_blue
Gents,

I've gotten a lot of good information off the above posts. I have a CarPC setup, which outputs red + white phono, vie a PIE switcher, connected to the Nav/Radio side of things at the moment... (I have a 2001MY XKR with premium sound). I think I am correct that in summary of all the above:

Jaguar with premium sound solutions:
  • Use PIE switcher box plugged into series with Nav unit - press Radio on head unit to hear audio (my current setup)
  • Reverse PIE switcher connections to connect to CD line instead. Will require empty CD cartridge to play

As described above the problem I have (have liaised with WhiteXKR on this) was that on quiet passages (Money for Nothing intro for example), the signal is not strong enough to pull the switcher across = radio static instead... I have tried boosting it using both the Windows and Riderunner software mixer volume and preamp controls and an LD10 pre-amp line driver... While I managed to get the switcher to stay across with a high enough amp setting, it was then distorted on louder passages or different albums. This may be more of a problem for PC output vs IPod, but it appears that the 'drop out' phenomenon is common for all users...

I was thinking of reversing the PIE connections as described, but there is of course a risk of wrecking the PIE box and additionally, by my understanding, it switches when a phono signal above the threshold is detected, but does not compare the strength of the signal with the other input (be it radio or CD). The issue with this is, that it would still therefore drop out on quiet passages. The only way round this I can see, is as described earlier in the thread, inserting a male-female cable from AMP>Male (new cable)>Female(new cable)>CD blue cable (male)>Cd player. The CD player is therefore still connected at this stage and therefore AI net won't kill sound... Am I correct therefore that you then splice this new cable (avoiding cutting into the existing wiring loom) and feed a simple red/white phono input from computer/Ipod into this cable... in effect ending up with a Y-cable, which passes through all from the CD player (keeping AI net live), but the red and white, which is fed in via a splice into the custom cable to feed in the audio... This would give a permanently live feed to your PC/IPod audio source (with no cd changer audio - but just remove custom cable to restore original system) and no need to buy a relatively expensive switcher...

Comments?
MADE MY OWN AI NET CABLE WITH RED/WHITE JACKS - WORKING ON 2001MY XKR WITH PREMIUM SOUND & NAV UNIT - Just to let you know, I got this working perfectly with no drop outs on my car PC. I made my own cable to insert between the Nav unit and car loom (in place of the switcher which dropped out on low passages, even with an LD10!). Input is coming from a CarPc. All you need is an male and female AI net cable (I went for the expensive one which is about 1M long, but you could probably buy male and female leads separately and cut and rejoin them. As per the guide you only need to connect the left and right channels (green and blue wires) and outer grounds on each (all determined using a multimeter and the AI net pin diagram), everything else just re-solder to pass through from Nav unit (to prevent AI net shutting down). I will publish a proper guide when I get a free moment (as the existing one assumes a level of electrical knowledge which fortunately I had to diagnose my issues, but others may not!)... The good thing about doing it this way is that the CD player still works too, although interestingly my radio antenna has stopped extending - although I suspect this is unrelated!

I butchered one of these - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpi...aux-cable.html and one of these http://shop.audioimages.co.uk/alpine...ble-p-269.html (probably cheaper separate M/F cables though, but wanted the straight connectors on each)

Last edited by mistral_blue; 01-09-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:04 PM

I've got an 1999 XKR with the most basic sound system and no nav.

Would this (or something similar) work?
Car MP3 Player digital music cd changer interface with USB/SD/AUX for Alpine AI NET-in Car MP3 Players from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

It looks like the other OEM system such as VW could control it since it looks like a cd changer to the head unit...

Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello Wuoma,

Thank you for bringing this product to our attention.

In my XJR 2000 with Nav I went with the custom-cable approach (I have exposed RCA input jacks that feed amplified input into my CD changer) and thus all components in the AI-NET bus are as they were out of the factory. The head unit is none-the-wiser and thinks that my CD source is the CD changer when it is now, in fact, an iPod Touch. With a PAC LD10 also installed, the audio quality from the iPod is as good if not better than CDs played with my CD changer. I couldn't be happier.

Having said that, the concern I have about the unit you present is how the head unit would select it. There are guys on this forum far more knowledgeable in AI-NET than me so hopefully they will weigh-in, but I suspect that the Jaguar head unit won't "see" this device as a valid source. I understand that it is supposed to broadcast itself as a CD changer however I am under the impression that Jaguar worked with Alpine to create some customized signals on the AI-NET bus for its own head units so I just don't know if this unit would *correctly* broadcast itself as a CD changer, as one would hope it would.

If no one here has a definitive answer for you, I wonder if you would be able to try it and report back to the group? I didn't check the return policy for that site but even if it is not returnable it seems that you would end up with a suitable AI-NET connector, and those are getting more and more difficult to find.

Does anyone else here have any experience with or knowledge of this particular interface kit?

Regards,
Jon500

Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 AM

I am willing to buy this and test it out, but I'm not sure whether this is the correct one for my car (connector wise I mean) or is it some other one of these?

The site has several others, those of you who have done something with your changers might be able to see which plugs look correct?

1. Car MP3 Player digital music cd changer interface with USB/SD/AUX for Alpine AI NET-in Car MP3 Players from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com
2. MP3 Car interface USB SD AUX IN Digital CD Changer for Alpine AL NET DVA / IDA/TDA/CDA 78XX Series head unit-in Car MP3 Players from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com
3. Alpine M BUS USB+SD MP3 Adapter-in Car MP3 Players from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com
4. YTM06 AINET YATOUR Digital Music Changer Car Radio MP3 Interface for Alpine Ai Net Aftermarket Radios-in Car MP3 Players from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com
5. Car MP3 Player digital music cd changer interface with USB/SD/AUX for Alpine AI NET-in Car MP3 Players from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com
6. Car Digital CD Changer USB SD AUX IN MP3 interface for Alpine AL NET DVA / IDA/TDA/CDA 78XX Series head unit-in Car MP3 Players from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com
7. YTM06 MBUS YATOUR Digital Music Changer Digital CD Changer for Alpine M Bus Aftermarket Radios-in Car MP3 Players from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com
8. Car Digital CD Changer USB SD AUX IN MP3 interface for Alpine AL NET CDA 7863 ,CDA 7841J ,TDA 7563E etc. EMS free shipping-in Car CD Player from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 AM
JKo

Originally Posted by Wuoma
That's what I have in my XJR.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by JKo
That's what I have in my XJR.
More info please, your car spec's? (premium system? nav? install? after market head?)

Also feedback on use, what do you use as a player? quality of sound, ease of use, come on give something back to the forum man.!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

@Wuoma,

It looks to me like the one cited by JKo should work. The product's description is pretty specific and even mentions that it is not designed for the iPhone 5, which impressed me since the iPhone 5 is a brand-new model--suggesting that this company is keeping its product descriptions updated and actually cares enough to do so.

@JKo, it seems that you have the same 2000 XJR audio set-up I have. It's the "Premium Sound" package with Nav and Alpine speakers (which I've since replaced with Focals). Did you have any issues with the adapter and are you pleased with the output? Did you add the PAC LD10 to increase gain?

Thanks,
Jon500

Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 AM
JKo

I've already posted about installation and experiences in another thread, link below. I have the premium Alpine system without navigation.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e5/#post529021

Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by JKo
I've already posted about installation and experiences in another thread, link below. I have the premium Alpine system without navigation.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e5/#post529021
Just spotted it, cheers

Quick Reply: Aux In Through CD Changer Cable