XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the iP-JAGCD iPod Adapter. It works like a charm and sounds great except for if my phone is plugged in for charging, it emits a speed based whine. I traced it to a faulty USB cigar lighter plug. Don't miss the CD Changer but if a A-B switch were available, I would install it.
Don't forget to also order the 3.5-PODF Universal 3.5mm Audio to Female iPod dock adapter cable if you have an android phone or any other device that isn't an iPod.

UPDATE: Here is the link http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-JAGCD.html
I purchased a noise filter http://stores.ebay.com/AV-Auto-Aid/N...=p4634.c0.m322.
Solved the problem!!!!

Last edited by rverginia; 10-21-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rverginia
I installed the iP-JAGCD iPod Adapter. It works like a charm and sounds great except for if my phone is plugged in for charging, it emits a speed based whine. I traced it to a faulty USB cigar lighter plug. Don't miss the CD Changer but if a A-B switch were available, I would install it.
Don't forget to also order the 3.5-PODF Universal 3.5mm Audio to Female iPod dock adapter cable if you have an android phone or any other device that isn't an iPod.

UPDATE: Here is the link iP-JAGCD iPod Adapter for Select Jaguar with CD Auto Changer :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces
I purchased a noise filter 10 AMP IN-LINE ENGINE NOISE SUPPRESSOR NOISE FILTER items in AV Auto Aid store on eBay!.
Solved the problem!!!!
Hi,
I'm curious as to how did you connect a noise filter to the adapter and if you have the same noise when playing music from your phone (i assume iPhone).
Thanks

Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an Android phone so I use the 3.5mm type jack. It goes between the adapter and the phone. They may offer an iPod type filter as well.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

I also installed the iP-JAGCD iPod Adapter. The sound is CD quality and I like that I did not have to hack the CD player or the wiring. It took far longer to run the cable to the armrest than to install the adapter.

I removed the rear seat cushion, the seat back, the rear A/C duct and heater switches, and the center cubby under the arm rest. I snaked the cable down to the center of the footwell and then snaked it under carpet at the hump and into finally into the center cubby. The carpet was really tight and I used a pry bar to lift it up enough to snake the cable. The cable fits between the arm rest and the compartment with the arm rest closed so I can access the iPod when driving. Having the radio volume controls and iPod charging built in make this adapter a great solution

Attached Thumbnails Aux In Through CD Changer Cable-img_0009.jpg  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Ok, I'm convinced that this is the way I want to go, too (IP-JAGCD), now all I have to do is figure out if I have the amp or not -- I don't think so, but will check to make sure. I've been using a cassette adapter with 99% good results -- sometimes I get interference and sometimes my tape player beeps at me and says it needs to be cleaned -- no big deal but it would be great to (1) not have those problems, and (2) charge my device while playing -- right now I have a separate charger, it would just be nicer to have one cable.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed the iP-JAGCD iPod Adapter in my 2003 xjr alpine changer and amp.
The deal works great for about ten minutes before it shuts down the head unit completely until it is disconnected. Any ideas? Did I screw up the seemingly impossible to screw up installation?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by johnleavitt
I just installed the iP-JAGCD iPod Adapter in my 2003 xjr alpine changer and amp.
The deal works great for about ten minutes before it shuts down the head unit completely until it is disconnected. Any ideas? Did I screw up the seemingly impossible to screw up installation?
Do you have a different iPod, or could you borrow one, to try out? I have used mine for about 5 hours without any problems so far

Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I installed this a few weeks ago, and I haven't used mine more than probably 4 short (less than 10 minute each) journeys, but mine has been trouble free.

your issue sounds very odd, maybe you could try unplugging it and then plugging it back in, maybe your connections aren't 100% solid

Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM

That is unusual.. not sure why it would do that after 10 minutes. Does the radio power down completely (meaning no display, no functions) or is it switching out cd changer mode? and does the ipod continue to play and charge when the radio shuts down?
Sorry for the many questions, but i've had mine working for a long time with no issues. You should also contact discountcarstereo-- they do respond to emails in a timely manner.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Ok. I am actually using a iphone 4s. Is that a problem?
The head unit goes totally dead. No lights no buttons nothing after five to ten minutes.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

@JohnLeavitt
Hi, I'm the guy who started this thread. It's come a long way since then. I had constructed a custom cable (one of the earlier approaches) and my system is still going strong!

I don't know how much experience you have with electronics, etc., so as QuietCoolOne said, please forgive the questions. I hope some of them help to set you on a new track that might end up solving the problem.

First, I am quite certain the iPhone 4S has absolutely nothing to do with what I'll call the 10-Min Issue. If it takes only 10 minutes, perhaps you can use/borrow/steal (okay, don't steal) another iOS device--it really doesn't matter which. Try an iPod Touch or late-generation iPad. See if they too have the 10-min problem. If another device doesn't cause the problem then I wonder if you can examine under high magnification the iPhone side of the connection to see if any pins are dirty/bent/clogged, etc. If other devices also cause the problem then here is what I think is logical:

* You might have gotten a bad unit from Discount Stereo. They might have some experience with this matter and if they've seen it before they might know that your unit is bad or they might know why such a thing is happening. From the good things I've heard about the company, they should be happy to replace a faulty unit.

* There might be a bad connection somewhere in the system. The 10-min timing could have to do with heat so the next time the system goes dead, keep the iPhone attached and go to the trunk and jiggle each of the connection points and wires to see if it comes back to life. If it does, then try to zero-in on which connection(s) or wire(s) is/are the culprit.

* Temporarily remove the adapter and put everything back the way it was. Do you still have 10-min issues?

Please let us know...

Good luck!
-- Jon

Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

@OldMike:
I just had to chime in and say that if you're using a cassette adapter, please do yourself a favor: don your running shoes and RUN to the nearest place where you can order the adapter that's right for your audio configuration (amp vs. no amp)! You will not regret the decision. I had gone through 5 different cassette adapters (even one made by Monster Cable) and all of them were quite terrible. I heard way too much noise from the cassette motor and the cassette adapter than I felt was acceptable. With the correct adapter, you will have the same quality audio you would have if you were to play a CD on your system (assuming that the music you play into the adapter is of comparable quality) and you don't have to worry about the alignment issues that all cassette adapters have...

Let us know if you order and if you're satisfied with the results!

Regards,
Jon

Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Question

Ok. I am actually using a iphone 4s. Is that a problem?
The head unit goes totally dead. No lights no buttons nothing after five to ten minutes.
Bizarre!!
I don't think its the iphone 4s-- we also use our iphone5 (with lightning adapter) and it works just fine.
Have you tried another iPod (as suggested by others)--
You said the only way to get the radio back on is to disconnect the adapter. does the radio power down after 10- minutes when the adapter is connected but the iPhone disconnected? In other words go to CD Changer mode and wait to see if the radio powers down.
Also, does the iPhone get hot after 10 minutes?
Anyway if none of this works, i would request an return and mail it back for replacement, but that 10-min shutdown of your system is a bit unusual.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Great posts, and I talked to tech at Discountcarstereo, and the other posters are right...very helpful. He recommended all the tests you all did, so I will do them this weekend and let you all know. I would bet the cable has two wires crossed, or something like that. We will see.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:46 AM

Like.most.electrical.issues....it healed.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Are you saying it just magically disappeared? Hmmmm.....wonder why?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by OldMike
Are you saying it just magically disappeared? Hmmmm.....wonder why?
@oldMike,
did you check if there is an amp in yours? I believe that all vehicles with premium amps will have a sub on the rear deck. So if you have 3 grills back there you will have an amp.
On another note, I noticed today that there is an iPod adapter version that retains the cd changer
JAG-CDR iPod Adapter with CD Changer Retention for Select Jaguars :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces
This option was not available when we made the switch, but i must say that we don't miss the changer because most of what we listen to is on the iPhone, but a good option for those who want both.

@johnleavitt
did you do any of the suggestions? fill us in with details

Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 AM

I appreciate the help. My daughter drives the car and brought it home allowing me to do all the tests. This time everything worked all the time. I could not get it to fail as it did last time repeatedly.

I would guess that when I reconnected the connectors this time that something that was not connecting connected. Maybe an intermittant open circuit somewhere. She has driven it two days now, and uses it all the time. It is great. This is the discountcarsstereo.com jagcd connector for about $80. They are a great company and not only suggested all the same tests you all mentioned, but agreed that if it didn't work to send it back. Now I am going to get one for my 99, but it has a Harmon Cardon with an amp and cd player in the trunk. I would think it would work....and this time it will be for a droid, not an iphone.

As a side note, for the Dads out there that gave a daughter one of these cars, the best part about his adapter is that it charges the Iphone. As many of you know, daughters often fail to properly charge the phone so that when they need help, the phone you pay $120 a month for does not work. The adapter charges the phone very quickly.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

@quietcoolone -- I do not have the amp, so I'm going to guess that the one that plugs into the back of the head unit is the right one for me -- "guess" because I haven't taken the radio out to see what kind of connector I have back there. Thanks for the link re: the unit that keep the CD changer functionality - I'll check it out.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, I checked it out --- for $20 more, it's a nice added feature, but one that I don't need. Of course, as soon as I install the one without CD changer functionality, I'll "need" the CD changer! Go figure!

I have a question -- what's all this talk on the product page about compatibility? How do I know it will work with my car? I know I don't have the premium sound system since I have no amp in the trunk. So, what are the chances that this thing will NOT work with my car? Do I have to pop out the radio to be sure? Ok that was more than one question!

Next question -- I currently use a cassette adapter (gulp!) with my iPhone 4S, and when I get a call while listening to music, I get to use the car's speakers for hearing the caller and my iPhone's mic for talking -- almost handsfree. Also, when I use my turn-by-turn map app on the iPhone, the music mutes (fades) and then the voice tells me the next turn over the car speakers, then the music fades back in -- I like that. Question -- will I have the same functionality with this adapter?

Thanks! You know, for the discounted price of $72, I should just order it! LOL

Quick Reply: Aux In Through CD Changer Cable