XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Baby took a beating!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Baby took a beating!!

My XJ took a beating Saturday. Hail the size of baseballs fell causing 5200.00 worth of damage. The Insurance company is going to repair!! I was so scared they were going to total the car out. They have to replace the hood since it has 100+ divits. That hood is 1800.00 with no paint or leaper. Luckily the metal trim that was dented is on which had a scratch. Looks like every little cosmetic flaw I had will be fixed out of circumstance. My stomach was sick as i helplessly watched.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow, that's terrible news, but great that it will be repaired. Here in So Cal we don't get hail often, but had some late last week... I was watching with trepidation as pea sized hail stones were dropping on my Jag (no damage, luckily). I can't imagine seeing baseball sized stones. I assume that can cause serious injury to you, too, if you're caught out in it.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Mayday what a 3 part storm huh?! Goldhill/Pleasant Rd. got it 3 times, with the stones becoming larger with each storm. Thankful our baby was nestled nicey in the garage.

Sorry to hear about yours though.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM

I have some nasty looking bruises on my back from trying to cover the car with everything I could find. I was out of town and pulled int he driveway as it started. My wife parked in the garage and left with her keys so I could not switch cars around. It really sucked. At least I know the people at the body shop and know they work on these frequently. The local Jag dealer actually sends cars to them for repair.

Rick you are correct on the 3 part storm. I have never seen anything like that in my life. I hope we do not see anymore. There is more storms coming!!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that's nuts. At least every cloud has a silver lining. You'll have a nice new bodied Jag.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Man I hate hailstorms and the damage they do to cars.

My first job in 1983 was working for a guy that did paintless dent removal. He learned his craft while working at Fisher Body building Cadillacs and I was his helper.

There was a nasty hailstorm here that summer and we worked 12 hours a day 7 days a week for weeks taking out dents that were around 1" - 2" in diameter. Most of them were pushed out from the back side with a series of pics and spoons on long steel rods. For roofs his trick was dry ice and a heat gun. I don't remember if it was the ice or the heat first but it was amazing to watch the dents disappear. I specifically remember a black VW Jetta that had 52 dents in the roof. It took him about 6 hours but the roof looked like new and the paint did not have so much as a crack in it.

My point here is for the roof you may want to ask the shop if they can have a paintless dent removal guy do the dent removal or if they are going to remove the headliner and actually work the metal to remove the dents.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayday30
My XJ took a beating Saturday. Hail the size of baseballs fell causing 5200.00 worth of damage. The Insurance company is going to repair!! I was so scared they were going to total the car out. They have to replace the hood since it has 100+ divits. That hood is 1800.00 with no paint or leaper. Luckily the metal trim that was dented is on which had a scratch. Looks like every little cosmetic flaw I had will be fixed out of circumstance. My stomach was sick as i helplessly watched.
What year XJ do you have? I'm surprised the insurance company didn't total it out.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 AM

I have a 01'. I was very nervous they were going total the car. Especially when the interior is flawless and I have just did the complete tensioner job in August. The adjuster told me that 6k would be the cut off. I do not know much about the insurance thing but even if they totaled the car I would try to figure out a way to keep it. It will be interesting to see if it all works out.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Thats a shame -- how many miles on the car?

With the current values for perfect low mile 02-03 XJR's and VDP's around - I would look very hard at the numbers before I spent 6k on a XJ.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 AM

I have 76k on the car. Insurance booked the car at 9200.00. I have had the car since 02 with 7k miles on it. I like it alot and basically turning it into a weekend car. I know all it's flaws and have fixed everything. You would think it is brand new if you saw it. I would like to know what formula the insurance companies use to determine if it is totaled. I know someone else who had hail damage on a 04' Toyota Camry with 86k miles and they totaled that car. They said his value was 8500.00 and his estimate for repair was 3500.00. All I know is the insurance company contacted my body sop with approval and scheduled the repair for April 26th. I will post the final outcome. I tried to post some pics but cannot get them from my phone to the forum.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Same storm, got lucky!

We experienced that same hail storm out here in Camden, SC.

I was at Lake Wateree at a party last Saturday night. The sky got dark and forboding. My wife (ever afraid of storms) started nagging me to leave. I did not want to go as I was having a positvely wonderful time. I finally relented and drove us home in the XK. Upon arrival, I immediately parked the Jag in the garage and closed the doors....

Within 20 minutes, millions of golf ball sized hail started to fall from the sky...and as it fell, my Jaguar remained warm and dry and quite safe in the garage...whew!!!

I have since informed my wife she is free to nag me whever she wants (like she did not already know that)...